PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

Buck
08-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I have a 64 Hawk with the V-8 and when I start it for the first time of the day, if it doesn't start in the first 15 seconds of cranking, the starter grinds to a halt. I check the charge on the battery and it's fine. After the initial start, it cranks fine. Since it's the cheapest, could a solenoid do that or do I need to have the starter rebuilt? Thanks Tom

GTtim
08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Actually it sounds to me like it is most likely that the battery is the problem. Have you checked the electrolyte with a hydrometer? It could be that it just doesn't have much reserve capacity left, batteries lose that as they get older. Depending on which engine your Hawk has it could have the heavy duty starter that draws a lot of current. If the battery checks out, then I would have the starter checked. The brushes could be bad or it could need lubrication.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

Roscomacaw
08-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Buck, you say "it grinds to a halt". Does this mean it's slowing down progressively until it stops or does it just all of a sudden quit?
Cheapest thing would be NO parts whatsoever. This might be achieved by checking ALL the connections for cleanliness and good conduction. Next time this happens, raise the hood quick and FEEL each cable end connection. This means the cable from the battery to the solenoid, the one from the solenoid to the starter and the one from the battery to ground. If they're all hot (warm anyways), I'd say the trouble's with the starter. But if you find ONE particular connection point that's warmer, I'd check fo tightness and cleanliness there OR change out that particular cable.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
I fought the same problem on my '55, after checking everything else... it was the battery. Which was brand new, so I didn't suspect it. Starts fine now.

I know someone with a Corrado that eats the battery just about every year. Can't figure out why. Not sure if there's any brand of battery that's better than another, or if I just have bad luck.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel