This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 V8 PCV Valve 1561585

I need to replace mine. Has anyone ever replaced one and knows where they are available? Thanks!

Dan, if that's the one that screws into the base of the carb, I just bought a couple at NAPA. I'll see if I can find that number for you.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs, on the '64 Calif. smog 2brl. cars the PCV screws into the fitting welded to the lifter cover and uses a short hose to a elbow, then another short hose to the slip-on fitting in the base of the 6-132 WW Stromberg 2brl. The '63's had the adapter fitting in the old draft tube hole in the lifter cover, requiring just a PCV with 2 hose ends that also went to a slip-on fitting at the carb. the only screw-ins are 4 brl. (Stude. used a NLA Carter PCV)
      Be carefull, the threaded screw-in type of PCV that is most common in flaps now, is the GM one. It's flow is backwards, it screws into the carb. whereas the '64 2brl. Stude. screws into the lifter cover! [^]
      IF we are talking 4 brl. R1,2 it's way different, they used a simple fitting screwed into the carb. base with a ball check, and much larger flow, and then the hose to the oil pan.
      Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dan, if that's the one that screws into the base of the carb, I just bought a couple at NAPA. I'll see if I can find that number for you.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The NAPA number for the R type PVCs is: # 29267, Myer's Studebaker has NOS ones. Not sure if it is a NAPA or Echlin # however.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I'll have to call Jon on Monday; I haven't found an aftermarket PCV for the R-engines that a) works and b) has the same size hose fitting as the pan vent. I think the number you posted will work, but an extra fitting (to reduce the size of the hose) is necessary.

yes, I'm kinda goofy about having a tidy engine compartment.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks. Yes its the one that screws into the AFB Carb. I'll try that no. at my local NAPA.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Biggs, on the '64 Calif. smog 2brl. cars the PCV screws into the fitting welded to the lifter cover and uses a short hose to a elbow, then another short hose to the slip-on fitting in the base of the 6-132 WW Stromberg 2brl.
              Rich.
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              Rich-
              The above PCV design was used on my 64 289/2-bbl, originally sold (given?) to a Stude executive living in South Bend. So they apparently were used on cars beyond California. Do you know what the AC/Delco, Carter, or other number was for these oddball PCVs, apparently used on no other car? Although I suspect I already know the answer, do you know if they are available anywhere?
              Skip Lackie
              Wash, DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

It was just a few months ago that I tried to get some PCV valves from NAPA. More than anything, I just wanted to see it they were still available any more. I've got an '82 edition of the Echlin ignition catalog for cars and trucks built prior to 1970. For whatever reason, it lists PCV valves amongst the ignition parts.
                They show TWO numbers for Stude V8s - 2-815 is no longer in their parts system. 2-9297 IS there and although the local place didn't have them, they had a couple in under a week for me. $6 bucks apiece.
                Curiously, they list the SAME numbers for a 61 to 63 230cu.in. 6cyl!!! There's even a valve listed for the '59 170 flathead #2-817A. I didn't ask about that one as I doubt there's many '59s out there that need one.[xx(] Further! They list a #2-817A or a #2-9270 as being vavles for 50 thru 58 Champion engines!
                Maybe this is how Stude got tagged with the notion that "they were always ahead of their time". Of course, all gearheads know that their being "ahead of their time" is the main reason they went belly up![8]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

When sucking on the PCV valve one gets a vacuum. Which direction would that 'sucked vacuum end' go, towards the card?

Comment

I should pay a vacuum that stops air flow.[xx(]

Comment

Mr. Biggs you need to be careful at NAPA. Our local store had the right number that I gave, and they said the same thing to me it was for a 230 6cyl. It was definitely not the right valve this may be a problem between NAPA numbers and Echlin numbers? However, if you go to their website and check the number you will see the correct R Series Studebaker valve and if you are persistent you can get it.

Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I have the 2-9267 pcv valve in my V-8 President, 1963 block with the screw end of the pcv valve into the valley cover and the slip on end towards the carb. Is this reversed flow? [?][?][?]

Comment

CURT; I don't know which way the 2-9267 flows, (if Dan White used it in his Avanti 4brl. it's definetly backwards for the lifter cover!) so you will have to blow into the threaded end, if it flows... it's good! Also you should be able to blow the other way and get little(it may have a bleed hole) or no flow and that's fine. If not, DO NOT USE IT!![xx(]
                          Unless Biggs has tried one of his 2-9297, I don't know if they will work in the lifter cover, but if they work screwed into a 4 brl. then they will NOT work in the lifter cover! Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by curt

I have the 2-9267 pcv valve in my V-8 President, 1963 block with the screw end of the pcv valve into the valley cover and the slip on end towards the carb. Is this reversed flow? [?][?][?]
                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Skip: Sorry; I don't have a '64 handy, but the '63 (hose to hose)original equipment Carter number is: C-3558S PCV Valve. Maybe someone can cross it over to a AC Delco #. If it can be bought, a thread to slip 3/8" hose adapter fitting can replace the old PCV and then install the new one in the hose.[^]
                            Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Biggs, on the '64 Calif. smog 2brl. cars the PCV screws into the fitting welded to the lifter cover and uses a short hose to a elbow, then another short hose to the slip-on fitting in the base of the 6-132 WW Stromberg 2brl.
                            Rich.
                            Rich-
                            The above PCV design was used on my 64 289/2-bbl, originally sold (given?) to a Stude executive living in South Bend. So they apparently were used on cars beyond California. Do you know what the AC/Delco, Carter, or other number was for these oddball PCVs, apparently used on no other car? Although I suspect I already know the answer, do you know if they are available anywhere?
                            Skip Lackie Wash, DC
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have never been able to obtain the screw in variety (back of AFB carb) from any parts house....back in the day, purchased them from SASCO, and then either from Myer, or Thibeault.

Comment

Working...
                              X