PDA

View Full Version : 1964 V8 PCV Valve 1561585



ivorydan
08-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I need to replace mine. Has anyone ever replaced one and knows where they are available? Thanks!

Roscomacaw
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Dan, if that's the one that screws into the base of the carb, I just bought a couple at NAPA. I'll see if I can find that number for you.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

StudeRich
08-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Biggs, on the '64 Calif. smog 2brl. cars the PCV screws into the fitting welded to the lifter cover and uses a short hose to a elbow, then another short hose to the slip-on fitting in the base of the 6-132 WW Stromberg 2brl. The '63's had the adapter fitting in the old draft tube hole in the lifter cover, requiring just a PCV with 2 hose ends that also went to a slip-on fitting at the carb. the only screw-ins are 4 brl. (Stude. used a NLA Carter PCV)
Be carefull, the threaded screw-in type of PCV that is most common in flaps now, is the GM one. It's flow is backwards, it screws into the carb. whereas the '64 2brl. Stude. screws into the lifter cover! [^]
IF we are talking 4 brl. R1,2 it's way different, they used a simple fitting screwed into the carb. base with a ball check, and much larger flow, and then the hose to the oil pan.
Rich.


quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dan, if that's the one that screws into the base of the carb, I just bought a couple at NAPA. I'll see if I can find that number for you.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Dan White
08-05-2006, 07:44 AM
The NAPA number for the R type PVCs is: # 29267, Myer's Studebaker has NOS ones. Not sure if it is a NAPA or Echlin # however.


Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

N8N
08-05-2006, 07:53 AM
I'll have to call Jon on Monday; I haven't found an aftermarket PCV for the R-engines that a) works and b) has the same size hose fitting as the pan vent. I think the number you posted will work, but an extra fitting (to reduce the size of the hose) is necessary.

yes, I'm kinda goofy about having a tidy engine compartment.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

ivorydan
08-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks. Yes its the one that screws into the AFB Carb. I'll try that no. at my local NAPA.

Skip Lackie
08-05-2006, 10:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Biggs, on the '64 Calif. smog 2brl. cars the PCV screws into the fitting welded to the lifter cover and uses a short hose to a elbow, then another short hose to the slip-on fitting in the base of the 6-132 WW Stromberg 2brl.
Rich.
StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA


Rich-
The above PCV design was used on my 64 289/2-bbl, originally sold (given?) to a Stude executive living in South Bend. So they apparently were used on cars beyond California. Do you know what the AC/Delco, Carter, or other number was for these oddball PCVs, apparently used on no other car? Although I suspect I already know the answer, do you know if they are available anywhere?
Skip Lackie
Wash, DC

Roscomacaw
08-05-2006, 12:36 PM
It was just a few months ago that I tried to get some PCV valves from NAPA. More than anything, I just wanted to see it they were still available any more. I've got an '82 edition of the Echlin ignition catalog for cars and trucks built prior to 1970. For whatever reason, it lists PCV valves amongst the ignition parts.
They show TWO numbers for Stude V8s - 2-815 is no longer in their parts system. 2-9297 IS there and although the local place didn't have them, they had a couple in under a week for me. $6 bucks apiece.
Curiously, they list the SAME numbers for a 61 to 63 230cu.in. 6cyl!!! There's even a valve listed for the '59 170 flathead #2-817A. I didn't ask about that one as I doubt there's many '59s out there that need one.[xx(] Further! They list a #2-817A or a #2-9270 as being vavles for 50 thru 58 Champion engines!
Maybe this is how Stude got tagged with the notion that "they were always ahead of their time". Of course, all gearheads know that their being "ahead of their time" is the main reason they went belly up![8]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

curt
08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
When sucking on the PCV valve one gets a vacuum. Which direction would that 'sucked vacuum end' go, towards the card?

curt
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I should pay a vacuum that stops air flow.[xx(]

Dan White
08-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Mr. Biggs you need to be careful at NAPA. Our local store had the right number that I gave, and they said the same thing to me it was for a 230 6cyl. It was definitely not the right valve this may be a problem between NAPA numbers and Echlin numbers? However, if you go to their website and check the number you will see the correct R Series Studebaker valve and if you are persistent you can get it.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

curt
08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I have the 2-9267 pcv valve in my V-8 President, 1963 block with the screw end of the pcv valve into the valley cover and the slip on end towards the carb. Is this reversed flow? [?][?][?]

StudeRich
08-07-2006, 03:11 AM
CURT; I don't know which way the 2-9267 flows, (if Dan White used it in his Avanti 4brl. it's definetly backwards for the lifter cover!) so you will have to blow into the threaded end, if it flows... it's good! Also you should be able to blow the other way and get little(it may have a bleed hole) or no flow and that's fine. If not, DO NOT USE IT!![xx(]
Unless Biggs has tried one of his 2-9297, I don't know if they will work in the lifter cover, but if they work screwed into a 4 brl. then they will NOT work in the lifter cover! Hope this helps, Rich.


quote:Originally posted by curt

I have the 2-9267 pcv valve in my V-8 President, 1963 block with the screw end of the pcv valve into the valley cover and the slip on end towards the carb. Is this reversed flow? [?][?][?]


StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
08-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Skip: Sorry; I don't have a '64 handy, but the '63 (hose to hose)original equipment Carter number is: C-3558S PCV Valve. Maybe someone can cross it over to a AC Delco #. If it can be bought, a thread to slip 3/8" hose adapter fitting can replace the old PCV and then install the new one in the hose.[^]
Rich.


quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie


quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Biggs, on the '64 Calif. smog 2brl. cars the PCV screws into the fitting welded to the lifter cover and uses a short hose to a elbow, then another short hose to the slip-on fitting in the base of the 6-132 WW Stromberg 2brl.
Rich.

Rich-
The above PCV design was used on my 64 289/2-bbl, originally sold (given?) to a Stude executive living in South Bend. So they apparently were used on cars beyond California. Do you know what the AC/Delco, Carter, or other number was for these oddball PCVs, apparently used on no other car? Although I suspect I already know the answer, do you know if they are available anywhere?
Skip Lackie Wash, DC

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Laemmle
08-07-2006, 07:16 AM
I have never been able to obtain the screw in variety (back of AFB carb) from any parts house....back in the day, purchased them from SASCO, and then either from Myer, or Thibeault.

Dan White
08-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Here is the NAPA link for those interested:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=CRB&PartNumber=29267&Description=Positive+Crankcase+Ventilation+(PCV)+Valve

$4.97

You may need to cut and past this link

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT[u]</u>[u]</u>[u]</u>

Skip Lackie
08-07-2006, 12:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Skip: Sorry; I don't have a '64 handy, but the '63 (hose to hose)original equipment Carter number is: C-3558S PCV Valve. Maybe someone can cross it over to a AC Delco #. If it can be bought, a thread to slip 3/8" hose adapter fitting can replace the old PCV and then install the new one in the hose.[^]
Rich.
StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA


Rich-
Good thinkin' -- thanks. I have an old AC Delco PCV catalog at home. Although it doesn't list the PCV I've been looking for, I think it has an interchange listing in the back. Will check to see if I can come up with an equivalent number.
Skip

curt
08-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I blow into the #29267 from the threaded end, no flow. Now what # do I use ? Can I turn #29267 around and use it?

StudeRich
08-08-2006, 08:33 PM
You could do what Skip is doing, look for one that is 3/8" hose to hose, put in a threaded to slip-on adapter fitting and put the PCV in the hose, if there is no stock on correct thread to hose type with correct flow! [^]

Rich.


quote:Originally posted by curt

I blow into the #29267 from the threaded end, no flow. Now what # do I use ? Can I turn #29267 around and use it?


StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Skip Lackie
08-10-2006, 12:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie


quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Skip: Sorry; I don't have a '64 handy, but the '63 (hose to hose)original equipment Carter number is: C-3558S PCV Valve. Maybe someone can cross it over to a AC Delco #. If it can be bought, a thread to slip 3/8" hose adapter fitting can replace the old PCV and then install the new one in the hose.[^]
Rich.
StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA


Rich-
Good thinkin' -- thanks. I have an old AC Delco PCV catalog at home. Although it doesn't list the PCV I've been looking for, I think it has an interchange listing in the back. Will check to see if I can come up with an equivalent number.
Skip


Rich-
Further follow-up: all the Carter PCV numbers I have found have a maximum of three digits, with the format CV123C. Are you sure about that 3558S number?
Skip

StudeRich
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes Skip; I am looking at a NOS Studebaker/Carter 3/8" hose to hose type for a '63 and the stamping is very clear. It says "Carter Carburetor St Louis, MO pat pending" It also has a D3 at the bottom which I think is just a factory or date code. It has the direction of flow arrow and the Carter part #C-3558S. The problem must be that this was made in 1963, and numbers and many things have changed. Sorry that is not working.
Rich.


quote:[i]Rich-
Further follow-up: all the Carter PCV numbers I have found have a maximum of three digits, with the format CV123C. Are you sure about that 3558S number?Skip

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Skip Lackie
08-10-2006, 02:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes Skip; I am looking at a NOS Studebaker/Carter 3/8" hose to hose type for a '63 and the stamping is very clear. It says "Carter Carburetor St Louis, MO pat pending" It also has a D3 at the bottom which I think is just a factory or date code. It has the direction of flow arrow and the Carter part #C-3558S. The problem must be that this was made in 1963, and numbers and many things have changed. Sorry that is not working.
Rich.


quote:[i]Rich-
Further follow-up: all the Carter PCV numbers I have found have a maximum of three digits, with the format CV123C. Are you sure about that 3558S number?Skip

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA


I can easily believe that. And for the record, I screwed up that format anyway -- apparently I was mixing up Carter and AC/Delco styles. The format for the Carter numbers was CV123 (no suffix letter).

But maybe I found something even better. From a 1970 AC PCV catalog:
61-63 Stude 6-cyl: CV633C
61-63 Stude V8/2-bbl: CV634C
61-63 Stude V8/4-bbl: CV633C
64 Stude: none listed (:()
CV633C used to be called CV439
CV634C used to be called CV440
The date of supersession is not indicated, but apparently was in 1969. Both CV633C and 634C were used exclusively on Studebakers, so I doubt that they're still available from Delco. They could easily turn up at flea markets, though.
Skip

StudeRich
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Skip; I think that the CV633C is the threaded on one end type, but has the wrong direction of flow for a '64.:( Good "find" though!:)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Skip Lackie
08-10-2006, 05:53 PM
More data from Stude PCV Research Dept, East Coast Div:
From 1979 Carter catalog:
61-63 V8/2-bbl: Carter CV125 (presumably 1555577)
61-63 V8/4bbl: Carter CV117 (presumably 1555578)
No listing for 6-cylinder.

The 1979 AC/Delco catalog shows Carter CV117 crosses to AC CV735C. No AC interchange is shown for Carter CV125.

And finally, from my "Save-this-you-might-need-it-someday" box: a used Carter number C3729S PCV for 64 V8s with the screw-in lifter cover. It appears to be dated November 1963. This is the pre-1969 Carter number; I do not know what the later number was or even if it was still in production by then. Stude part number 1561585.

I think I'm out of things to contribute to this subject.
Skip