This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Upgrade

Can anyone share with me if there is an aftermarket HEI distributor, for a 63 rebuilt 289 engine. If not, what would be the best available distributor to use. I'm getting real close to bolting this Avanti, back together before paint and the interior. Thanks! Also, many of you guys have given me great help with some past questions, a world of knowledge does exist. Thank You![8D]

Try Dave Thibeault. He has a Mopar conversion with the Mopar Performance control box and with the Mallory E-Spark conversion, a self contained unit. I have the E-Spark and it has been great.
    His address, etc., is:

Dave Thibeault
    13 Nick Lane
    Maynard, Ma. 01754
    978-897-3158
    STUDEDAVE@aol.com

Comment

Call Dave T-bolt (1-978-897-3158) If he dosen't have it or make it he knows where to get it.

Comment

I think it was another guy that made the HEI conversions, but Dave's MoPar distributor is working in my car just fine. I think he's now selling a brand new distributor with a custom billet housing and Mallory Unilite trigger, supposed to be even better, but his "old" dist. is working well enough that there's no need for me to upgrade.

Can't wait to try it with the R1 and see if I still have good spark at high RPMs (standard 289 isn't much of a rev monster)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thibeault has had Mallory put back into production the great Uni-lite..he brought it to the Keene Zone Meet two weeks ago...wow....a thing of beauty..the choice for anyone wanting to upgrade away from the Prestolite...the workmanship is without equal!

Comment

Does Pertronix make a pointless conversion for these? They're a great unit...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by N8N

I think it was another guy that made the HEI conversions, but Dave's MoPar distributor is working in my car just fine. I think he's now selling a brand new distributor with a custom billet housing and Mallory Unilite trigger, supposed to be even better, but his "old" dist. is working well enough that there's no need for me to upgrade.

Can't wait to try it with the R1 and see if I still have good spark at high RPMs (standard 289 isn't much of a rev monster)

nate

John Lasseter, aka Studebaker John, in the Pacific Northwest, makes an HEI conversion Stude distributor. Unfortunately, I don't has his contact information with me here. I daresay some of the other WA or OR Stude types here will know him. I saw his converted Stude distributors at Spokane last year, but I was buying an AFB manifold, instead.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Since you have an Avanti the original distributor should be an R Series dual point Prestolite and there is a Petronix unit for it and you can get them from www.fairbornestudebaker.com. Lot cheaper than buying a custom HEI or equivalent.

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I highly recommend T-Bolts new Mallory billet aluminum electronic ignition distributor.
                  I have two and they are a beautiful piece of equipment.
                  Worth every penny.
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jjones

Try Dave Thibeault. He has a Mopar conversion with the Mopar Performance control box and with the Mallory E-Spark conversion, a self contained unit. I have the E-Spark and it has been great.
                  His address, etc., is:

Dave Thibeault
                  13 Nick Lane
                  Maynard, Ma. 01754
                  978-897-3158
                  STUDEDAVE@aol.com

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  Ocala, FL.[u](For one more month!)</u>
                  '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                  '61 Hawk (project)
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This is an old style Mallory for a flathead Ford. It was converted to Chrysler internals. If anyone is interested in doing it themself, I can try to post it here or email the info. All the critical parts are available aftermarket in case it does fail in BFE. Mine has been perfect for 10 years running a generator. This works well if you are concerned about original appearance. I mounted the Chrysler module under the dash.

Comment

The older style dist. that Dave Thibeault sold (the one that I am running) uses the same MoPar internals. It's actually a logical conversion for a Stude as the old MoPar big blocks used the same basic distributor as the Stude Prestolite, and the later electronic ones were based on the same unit.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Can anyone share with me if there is an aftermarket HEI distributor, for a 63 rebuilt 289 engine.
                        Dave LeVesque used to sell HEI distributors for the Studebaker V8. I have two, one in my Hawk and the other in one of my Cruisers. Each has been in service for about 10 years and work much better than the original distributors with points. Dave mated the HEI top to the original Studebaker distributer base. This was before the other options that have been mentioned existed. It was an improvement at the time, but sounds like the new conversions may be even better. My search for Dave's current address came up with:
                        SteelTech Solutions, Marion, IL (ph. 618-997-4238). Dale

Comment

I also have one of Dave's HEIs but he has stopped making them due to the lack of decent cores (he used the Buick, and I think Olds, Caddy HEIs that run opposite the Chevy Pontiac ones) and the introduction of the Petronix units that are a lot less money than what he could do the HEIs for.

Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hey Dan are you going to Muddy Run today?[8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

I also have one of Dave's HEIs but he has stopped making them due to the lack of decent cores (he used the Buick, and I think Olds, Caddy HEIs that run opposite the Chevy Pontiac ones) and the introduction of the Petronix units that are a lot less money than what he could do the HEIs for.

Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              Dan - thanks for the update on Dave's HEIs. I did not know they were no longer available. I appreciate all those other comments on newer alternatives too. I want to find a more modern unit for my 2nd Cruiser and the experiences others have had will help a lot. Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X