PDA

View Full Version : pinion seal leaking

charley norton
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I,ve been away from the site for awhile, but for anyone who remembers me, I still have the Avanti (for now)
I'm having a problem with my pinion seal. It leaks even after two attempts with new seals. The car has just a little over 33000 miles on it and there is no sign of wear on the yoke. I'm just wondering if I got it too full. The fill bolt on the back is where I put the oil in, but I filled it until it came out the hole. Is there a way I put too much oil in it doing it that way? Any advise would help
Charley and the misteriously stopped pulling left Avanti thats soon to go on the auction block

63 R2 Avanti

CHAMP
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I would make sure the car is level while filling dif. Also it wouldn't hurt to keep the oil 1/4 inch or so below filler hole. It might not hurt to take another look at the yoke.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

ROADRACELARK
08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I've discovered that the diff. oil has a tendancy to "wick" up the pinion shaft, around the threads, under the washer and nut...drips on the ground.:( Easy fix...draw out enough lube where the pinion shaft is above the level,remove the pinion nut AND washer..clean the shaft, washer and nut with solvent, dry, apply a good coating of RTV sealant at the base of the shaft and some on the back side of the flat washer. re-assemble, allow to dry (preferabley 24 hours), refill whth lube. That should do it. Done it many times. Hope this helps.:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

charley norton
08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
i'll look and see if that may be the problemm. There was a gasket behind the original seal that did not come with the new seal. I reused the old gasket, but was very hard to keep in place as I installed the new seal. Could be that, but I used a good bit of sealant to butter the edges (the second attempted) of the seal to keep oil from coming out from around the edges of the seal. Could be something to do with that. Thanks

63 R2 Avanti

nels
08-01-2006, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by charley norton

I,ve been away from the site for awhile, but for anyone who remembers me, I still have the Avanti (for now)
I'm having a problem with my pinion seal. It leaks even after two attempts with new seals. The car has just a little over 33000 miles on it and there is no sign of wear on the yoke. I'm just wondering if I got it too full. The fill bolt on the back is where I put the oil in, but I filled it until it came out the hole. Is there a way I put too much oil in it doing it that way? Any advise would help
Charley and the misteriously stopped pulling left Avanti thats soon to go on the auction block

63 R2 Avanti

nels
08-01-2006, 08:37 PM
You might check and make sure the axle vent is open and not obstructed with something like the brake line clip. Its on the top of the driver's side axle tube.

ROADRACELARK
08-01-2006, 11:06 PM
That vent hole is actually on the "rear" side of the left axel tube about 3-4" inboard of the seaf spring. Yes it may be under the brake line clip. IMO, the clip has a raised rib all the way around it, I think it is suppose to be over the hole to keep out dirt, etc. yet let it remain open. I think it's only a 1/8" hole or there abouts. :)
Dan

charley norton
08-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks,Dan. Why do you think the vent would cause the pinion seal to leak? Excessive pressure? After a few weeks in the garage, there is a puddle about 8 inches in diameter under the pinion. I'll check the vent when it comes back from upholstry. Charley

63 R2 Avanti

ROADRACELARK
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Theoretically, there should be no pressure on it sitting there. As the diff components turn and airiate(sp) the lube along with the heat generated, pressure can build up. This problem you have is not caused by pressure...it is form what I described earlier:). You still need to check to see if it is clear though. Hope this helps.
Dan

charley norton
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Dan
It is something I haven't looked for. I hope your right
Charley

63 R2 Avanti