This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I'm New to this forum

Well today was a Studebaker day. So I thought I'd introduce myself. I have a 1949 Champion that I have been fixing up She is a daily driver.
    My son Bobby has a 1955 Champion that is his daily driver. My husband David has a 1957 Silverhawk it comes out on the weekends. Mabel the 49 gets 18mpg in town and 23mpg on the freeway, with the price of reg at 3.18 a gallon thats not bad.

Welcome to our midst, Anne!

You folks are definitely a Studebaker family. Very cool!

But, tell us, why was today a Studebaker day?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

WELCOME to the forum Anne.Lot of great folks on here.All here to share the world of Studebaker with you.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Good to have you here! Welcome to the hangout!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I got to go to the wrecking yard to recover parts for Studes there was a 1950 3/4 ton Pickup there. StudeBob was there also. So we got to trade stories and turn wrenches, the weather was finally cool 92 compared to 114 that its been lately.
          Now thats a Stude day.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Welcome aboard Anne,
            EVERYDAY is a Studebaker day on this forum! There's a world of info. out here,,,all you need to do is ask. We're all here to help.
            Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Welcome, Goodmans!

Let us see pics when you can, Anne.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
              53 Starliner Hardtop
              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Welcome to the Goodmans!!! I look forward to meeting you guys and your cars someday... [] [^]

StudeDave [8D]
                V/P San Diego County SDC
                San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                '57 Commander 2dr
                '57 Champion 2dr
                '58 Packard sedan
                '65 Cruiser
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Indeed, it was a Studebaker day, here in the central valley of Cali(damn it's hot)fornia! Actually, we've sent that heat wave on to points east. We had lots of fun with it and it would've been selfish for us to keep it around any longer than we did.[}]

Anywho - it was Annie's husband, David, who'd alerted me to that 2R11 in a Pick-a-Part yard in Fresno. If you've read the thread about the South Dakota auction (giveaway!), I had tagged a comment there about going to pick over the aforementioned truck. And Sunday, before the day was out, I heard from another Stude-tusiast, named Casey, who wanted me to come by and see his almost finished Stude truck resto that he's doing up as a driver.
                  I'd never met Casey ( a recent convert to the world of Studebakering), but he sounded like an interesting sort and the thought of another fine C-cab running the streets around here was enough to draw me for a first-hand look.[]

So, I loaded up the Transtar with tools and a hand truck and headed out for a day of Studebakering and camaraderi. I DIDN'T know that Annie was gonna meet me there at the wrecking yard when I told that I planned on being there Monday morning.
                  Annie's hubby, David had rescued the 3-spd O/D from that 3/4 truck but there was lots left on it (still is for that matter). Annie's ride, Mabel, is a really cool machine that's pretty much bone stock save for a recent upholstery redux (which looks right nice). One of the things she's liked about it was the hill-holder feature and since this truck still had one, she decided it might not be a bad idea to liberate it for future use.
                  Anyway, not knowing she planned to be a the yard when it opened, I first went by Casey's house (he lives in the Fresno area too) and ended up spending time talking cars, turtles and a few bits and trinkets he needs to finish some details of his '59 Scotsman. Here's a shot of Casey's pretty 4E2-112.

It ended up being close to 10AM by the time I rolled my tools up (on the hand truck)to the gate of the wrecking yard. As I'm waiting my turn to sign in, I spy Annie dragging her little cart full of tools and brake parts TOWARDS the gate!
                  We waved at each other as she told me that she'd given up on me showing up and was about to leave.[:I] She paid for her brake parts, stashed her tools in Mabel and came back into the yard to see if she could be of any assistance. Man, I'm glad she did!
                  Annie easily equals less than HALF my bulk. Before I could give thought to her volunteering, she'd hopped up and into the 2R's engine compartment. Therein, she rested fairly comfortably in spite of sharing the space with the Big 6 engine that still resides there!
                  With her facilitating, we undid and freed the factory radio and heater units, along with a few other bits and pieces of the dash.
                  Then we removed the hood! I'd gone to the yard hoping that the fenders (and possibly the doors) would be worth the effort to remove them. I'm sure someone would have gleefully yanked the rear fenders as they certainly have potential even tho the lower, front corners are rotted. But as the morning wore on and the sun was draining on us, my zeal to save every nut and bolt was waning.
                  The bottoms of the doors were completely gone on the outside. Again, fixable if you needed them - but I don't. The front fenders looked like they'd been next to an IED when it went off! So, they got to stay. The bed - great sides, but absolutely NO remmnant of a floor! Tailgate was there and bent, cab would've put a permanent smile on a rust-belter's face, but the hood.... rust-hazed tho it was - the hood was a glimmer shy of pristine.[:0]
                  Finally, with vent windows, factory mirror mounts, factory radio setup, factory heater setup, some trim bits, an OD relay and that hood, we were ready to call it a day.
                  Annie carried the heater and some other bits and I balanced the rest of the stuff on the hand truck along with the tools AND that hood and started towards the front gate. It's
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

sigpic
                    Ross.
                    Riverside, Ca.
                    1957 Provincial X2
                    1958 Transtar

Comment

Anne,
                      Please let me add my welcome to the forum. I hope you've joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. There's a wealth of info in every issue.
                      Rog

'59 Lark Regal VI Hardtop
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Roger, I can assure you that Anne & family are long-time members of SDC. Active with the local chapter (more than I am!) and REAL Studebaker drivers.

Even tho we've known each other for a number of years, I only pointedly asked Anne, yesterday, to join us here. I'm hoping she'll chime in here now on occasion. I know she and her hubby are planning to drive back to South Bend in their fine Hawk in the future. Maybe we can count on Anne to give us an account of their trek when it's done.

Here's Anne's "Mabel". Right good-lookin'!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs; did you ask what truck the front bumper on the Scotsman came from? Fits like a glove, must have been cut in center to fit![^]

Rich.

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mabel looks ready for Omaha and SouthBend.good looking Stude and another David to boot.That names comes up a lots with Stude lovers.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

I have a first cousin named Goodman, from Brooklyn, NY....so by extention...all Goodmans must be good![^][^][^]

Welcolm to the asylum

Comment

Working...
                              X