PDA

View Full Version : 15" X 6" wheel rims

floydjaehnert
07-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I see 6" wide wheel rims advertized for Avanti & Studebaker in Turning Wheels. I have a 1963 Avanti with radial tires and wonder if the wider rims would cause any problems and/or be an advantage over the original rims. Floyd

Mike Van Veghten
07-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Depends on the tire tread width you have/are going to buy.

The tire tread and the rim width should be as close as possible to the same to get the most out of the tire. Slightly wider is better than narrower for best support. Do they work with a narrow rim...sure, but as I said...to get the "best" from your tires....
This isn't just a guess, this is from the tire manufactures information.

I believe the wheels advertized are just a Ford wheel. Not sure of "which" Ford, but not too many 4-1/2" bolt pattern wheels out there.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

N8N
07-31-2006, 10:53 AM
I believe that the factory Magnum 500s used on Avanti IIs were 6" wide wheels, so I would give it a qualified "yes." Assuming that your springs and shocks are in good shape, and you're not in the habit of slamming over speed bumps in parking lots at full lock, you should be OK so long as the offset is right.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

The tire tread and the rim width should be as close as possible to the same

I'm not so sure about that. It would mean that a 6" wide wheel should get a 155 x 75 x 15 tire (152mm = 6")...smaller than a VW [:0]

Here's a chart of wheel widths and acceptable tires...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/658.shtml

I don't know how "official" it is, but it looks good to me. One thing he says here is important...

"Choosing a wheel near the middle of the range will give a balance between ride quality and handling. A wider wheel will improve handling at the expense of ride quality, while a narrower wheel will improve ride quality at the expense of handling. Consider these compromises when selecting wheels"

According to the chart, 205 x 75 x 15 and 215 x 75 x 15 (both used as modern replacement tires on Avantis) fit on a 5.5 - 7" rim.

I personally doubt if you'd "feel" any difference between the two wheels on your Avanti in ride or handling. The only issue might be fit (interference)...see Nate's post. You might call the vendor and see if he has experience with other customers using his wheels on Avantis.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Mike Van Veghten
07-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Tread width....not cross section!

My General front tires (205x75-15")are "overall" much wider thAn the wheel width....but the tread..the part that hits the ground, is about is about 6", the same as the wheel rim width.

Mike

Dick Steinkamp
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Tread width....not cross section!

Gotcha, Mike. My bad.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by floydjaehnert

I see 6" wide wheel rims advertized for Avanti & Studebaker in Turning Wheels. I have a 1963 Avanti with radial tires and wonder if the wider rims would cause any problems and/or be an advantage over the original rims. Floyd

I ran 6 1/2" MoPar rims on my '64 Avanti with no problem (with the rims). I also was running 225x75x15s and I did have some fender rubbing on turns with bumps.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Jeff_H
07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I've got those ford rims on my '53. They are actually crown victoria rims, 70's-80's application. Here's some data I posted on the "other" forum a while back on the dimensions vs some stude rims:

Stock '53 rim:

Tire bead inside Width: 5"
Overall outside width: 6-1/8"
Backspacing: 4-3/8"
Offset (tire centerline to inside edge): 1-5/16"
Center hole ID: 2-3/4"

Stock '63 lark rim:

Tire bead inside width: 4-1/2"
Overall outside width: 5-5/8"
Backspacing: 3-5/8"
Offset (tire centerline to inside edge): 1-1/16"
Center hole ID: forgot to measure

6" Ford rim, NWRA X-40273:

Tire bead inside width: 6"
Overall outside width: 7-1/8"
Backspacing: 4-1/8"
Offset (tire centerline to inside edge): 9/16"
Center hole ID: 2-3/4"

I am using '205s with these rims. One thing I noticed when changing to them after having the same tires on the stock 5" '53 rims is that the steering got darty on the highway (I have PS too). I set the caster back (leaning kingpins backwards) 2 full turns of the outer pins from where the alignment shop had set it after the front end was rebuilt and it was much better. Don't know how any of this would work on avanti but the rim dims could be useful to compare to something else. You will note that compared to the '53 rim, they are pushed out by about 1/4" (backspacing) and that with the wider rim makes the offset different. Probably what affected the handling in my case.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Transtar60
07-31-2006, 09:37 PM
The NWRA X-40273 are also base wheels on Ford Ranger and Bronco II 4x4's

hank63
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Another issue with wider tyres - they have less lbs per square inch pressure on the ground. That makes aqua-planing easier to achieve. Anybody (like me) who has had this exceedingly nasty experience, will NEVER want to have it again.
/H

Laemmle
08-01-2006, 05:01 PM
My original rims were shot, so I fittd a set of MoPar Cordoba rims...with Michelin 205X75X15 ten years no problems!;);)