X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO Title!

NO TITLE!

Ok when I see this on e-bay or any other ad for a car, truck or Bus for sale it scares the well you know out of me. I would have no idea how to go about getting a title for said Car. Am I crazy to feel this way, is it really easy to get a lost title on a car? I recall my freinds dad doing it years ago when I was a kid and I dont recall it being an easy thing to do back then.

Randy_G

This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Here in Georgia, you don't even need a title if the car is 20 years or older. Our 56 Sky Hawk is still in Dr. Robert Cade's name on the title. (He invented Gatorade).

But, some states DO reguire one, no matter what the vintage of the car, and yes, it's possible to get one for a car.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
    63 Daytona HT
    51 2R16 dump truck
    52 Commander Starliner (will trade for another Stude <g&gt

Comment

In some states titles are a rather recent creation. As Matt says, Georgia is fairly new to the title business. A couple of years ago I bought a '61 E-28 from the original owner in GA, no title. I had his registration card and took that to DMV and explained the situation to the clerk. She consulted with the manager and he checked in a book behind the counter. He came back and said I was correct and they issued me a title. The only problem was I had to guess at the weight as none was listed on the registration.

There are also companies like Broadway Title that will issue you one or you can sometimes pick up a title and data plate from someone and change the identity of your vehicle. One other problem is that some states used the engine number rather than the serial number which can cause problems if the motor has been swapped.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
      1948 M-16 grain truck
      1949 2R16A grain truck
      1949 2R17A fire truck
      1955 E-38 grain truck
      1957 3E-40 flatbed
      1961 6E-28 grain truck
      1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
      1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
      1964 Cruiser
      And various other "treasures"
      Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Depending on what state you live in , this will determine how differcult it will be to get one. Some states as Ga, Ala, for example is very easy. Many people use a title company such as Broadway Title out of Ala. to get this done. Broadway has a list of states that will not accept their paperwork so check with them first before you buy a car without a title. Again check with your home state first as it may be a very easy task to get one direct from your DMV. (my experience with the DMV has never been easy)Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Years ago, I lived in a midwestern state(Iowa) that would issue a "Bonded Title" for a car. The DOT inspector would come out and check the car out, get any id #'s off of it, see what proof of ownership you had, and then head back to see if it was on any hotsheets or whatever. Then, he'd issue an application and you'd secure a bond from an insuror, and submit it and X dollars back to the dot, and eventually, you'd get a title for the vehicle. Sometimes, they would put on a new id plate, sometimes not. I don't know if they still handle it that way cause it has been a few years. If the car vin was listed in the Iowa DOT records as "Junked", you then had to hire a lawyer to go to court and ask the judge to rescind the junking certificate, before they would issue a new title. Curing title problems is the first thing someone should do before investing any more money in a car.

Comment

Most states have a way to get around titling issues. Check with your local DMV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
            Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
            LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Speaking from recent experience,I'm in NC, I went with a "Bonded Title" in my situation. It was alot of hoops to jump through but just pay attention to your paperwork.
              Lots of good advise in the previous posts, check your DMV in your state is step one ,I'd say. RD Maxon

Comment

Working...
              X