PDA

View Full Version : Seal on front drum bearing

curt
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Do the inner bearing seals on the front brake drums seat( pound) in flush to the drum surface? The ones I took off did not and the one I just seated did not seai flush. What is proper?

curt
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Measurements of old and new seal would indicate the seals will not drive flush. The race is shallower that the seal's depth. Does this sound correct?

N8N
07-29-2006, 02:42 PM
What year hubs are you using? 55 and earlier used a larger seal and your description would be correct in that case. you only drive them about 1/2 of the way in when using the modern replacements. only other option would be to try to find some NOS felt ones. For the 56-up hubs you can drive them in flush.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

curt
07-30-2006, 09:12 AM
They must be 1955 hubs, grease seals not flush, same as the ones I took off in that respect. Found one previous mistake, one wheel cylinder had zero lock washers on the bolts holding the wheel cylinder on. I will be a long time on this project should finish the front brakes in a day or so, 100+ degres . Keep helping me fellows, it is appreciated. I have serviced Dana rear hubs on Kaisers . Getting the hubs off will be 'fun'. Kaiser has the Dana 44 rear-end but the brake shoes are different.

ROADRACELARK
07-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Curt,
We're all right here at the keyboard, in the AC, waiting for your next request.;) I know, that's mean:(... but we're here if you need us. Good luck, use lots of rust penetrant.:)
Dan Miller

Road Racers turn left AND right.