X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 lark information

Greetings everyone,

I am looking for any kind of information on my 1961 lark four door sedan. It is the style that still contains dual headlamps with small turn signal lamps instead of vents like on the 59-60 models. It has the ohv six cylinder combined with an automatic trans. The front seat is split (not a bench seat) to where the driver could adjust the seat w/o bothering the passeger and also the seat backs push forward (kinda strange considering that it is a four door). Anyway I was just wondering if anyone might know how many of these were built before they had quad headlamps and if the split seat was an option of if it was standard euipment. I don't seem to have any luck finding anyone that owns a 61 with dual headlamps but would like to know a little more about this rig.

There was JUST a thread here a few days ago where a fella announced that he'd successfully found a home for his 61 Lark 4-dr. In that thread I was corrected in my assumption that the quad headlites were a mid-year upgrade. What I was told is that ALL Lark Regals in '61 came with the quad HL arrangement. They were available on lesser trim cars as an option. [B)] Reviewing Fred Fox's FINE coverage of the 61s in the June '94 edition of Turning Wheels, I see that point mentioned. Maybe if I'd ever owned a '61, I'd have been more informed.[V] If you don't have a copy of the particular edition, it's worth your time to track one down. I'm sure they come up on ebay from time to time.
    Assuming your's IS a Regal sedan (61S-W6), 3,802 total were built between US, Canadian and export units.
    There were alot of subtle changes incorporated in the 61s over their earlier brethern of 59-60. At a glance, they appear to be nothing more than the same sheet metal with a raised beltline, but there's more than meets the eye.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The split front seat was an option and I would bet there is a lever on the side that will enable it to fully recline, turning your interior in to a twin-size mattress.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 Commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Been tossed out of more than one drive-in theather with them seats in my 59' Hawk back in the early 60's. Them was the good ole' days.
        Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Talk about a PLAYGROUND! I used to have a Rambler Classic Cross-Country station wagon![}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Talk about a PLAYGROUND! I used to have a Rambler Classic Cross-Country station wagon![}]
            Oh yeah! Nash seats baby! My friend Greg had a '61 Rambler known to us as "The Sandy Wallace autograph model"... but that's a different story [}]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

What you are referring to as dual headlamps is what is normally referred to as single headlamps. Your later mention of quad headlights, comonly called dual headlights, gives this away. Therefore, your car is a DeLuxe, not Regal, model.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY
              1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
              1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

3 things I can tell you about a '61 lark...that 170 6 cyl will run , with no attention, 245,000 miles before it slings a rod...a 421 tri-power will wedge into the engine bay(with slight modifications for the transmission clearance).. and number 3 that was the d..n best car for the money I ever owned!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

There was JUST a thread here a few days ago where a fella announced that he'd successfully found a home for his 61 Lark 4-dr. In that thread I was corrected in my assumption that the quad headlites were a mid-year upgrade. What I was told is that ALL Lark Regals in '61 came with the quad HL arrangement. They were available on lesser trim cars as an option. [B)] Reviewing Fred Fox's FINE coverage of the 61s in the June '94 edition of Turning Wheels, I see that point mentioned. Maybe if I'd ever owned a '61, I'd have been more informed.[V] If you don't have a copy of the particular edition, it's worth your time to track one down. I'm sure they come up on ebay from time to time.
                  Assuming your's IS a Regal sedan (61S-W6), 3,802 total were built between US, Canadian and export units.
                  There were alot of subtle changes incorporated in the 61s over their earlier brethern of 59-60. At a glance, they appear to be nothing more than the same sheet metal with a raised beltline, but there's more than meets the eye.[^]
                  The '61 Larks had many first year changes as Mr. Biggs mentioned. First year for suspended pedals, counter-balance hood, fresh air intake at the base of the windshield, overhead valve six (which many people give a bad rap due to stories of head cracking). My first new car was a '61 Cruiser which I regard as my best car ever. It had the split seats that adjust individually like you are describing and they reclined flat. This feature allowed me to pick up my wife and new-born son at the hospital on Friday in Rhode Island and hit the road for a Monday morning reporting date near Kansas City on Monday. I made the passenger side into a bed and she could either sit up in the back seat or should she could lie flat when she was tired.
                  Years later I bought a '61 Lark convertible with 110,000 miles on it (not running). I knew from the seller's description that it was a timing gear. After replacing that I noticed it had some bad valves so I took the head to a good machine shop where they simply ground out the cracked exhaust valve seats and pressed in new seats- not a major failing at all IMHO.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X