PDA

View Full Version : Intake and Exhaust Manifold Paint. 51 Champ

Jerry Johnson
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I expect the intake and exhaust manifold on the 170 cu Champ six where as cast and just left to rust originally. However, being as I am doing a frame off and am just getting around to putting in a rebuilt engine unto the rolling chassis I would like to sand blast them and paint or coat them before I remount them. Took them off to paint the engine. Anyone this anal besides me that would have some ideas about color, paint or coating selection or process[?] Let me know what you think. I was thing along the lines of something cast iron colored, high temp. paint.

All ideas will be appreciated.[^]

Regards,
Jerry

CHAMP
07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Powder-coating would be most durable. Hi-Temp paint will Work also. Depends on how much time and money you want to sink into it. I have the intake manifold painted semi-gloss black and the exhaust painted with HI-temp alum. on my 48 Champion. I'm not sure what colors are factory correct.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

starlightchamp
07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
The post war engines were olive drab green, maybe Studebaker had lots of paint left from Weasel production. Studebaker International sells this green engine paint. In 1955 engines were blue, turquoise in 56-57 and silver 58-61.
For 47-54, intakes were painted the same green. Exhaust with high temp aluminum paint.

Engine colors according to SI catalog, page 103.
"This high quality enamel is mixed to match the original colors used by the factory when your car was new."

So , if they are right, these are the colors.

1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA

CHAMP
07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I would like to thank you to for that info. I had my Intake painted O.D. green and then saw a Champion that was nicly restored and his intake was black. I wasn't sure what the correct intake color was. Again THANKS:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.