This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 GT Hawk shocks

I have a 64 GT Hawk and I need new shocks but none of the parts houses have a listing for a Studebaker. Anyone know the part number say for Monroe? Thanks in advance.

Gabrial Classic shocks, Autozone stocks them for Studebaker.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Your car came with Gabriel shocks not those cheap Monroe shocks. All Studebaker vendors that advertize in Turning Wheels Monthly newsletter, and or the SDC Studebaker vendors site, have the shocks in stock. No need to help cause the earler demise of them, by looking locally. Gabriel HD Gas shocks are around $60.00 a pair. Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Buck

I have a 64 GT Hawk and I need new shocks but none of the parts houses have a listing for a Studebaker. Anyone know the part number say for Monroe? Thanks in advance.
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I got mine from Stephen Allen's. Next day delivery. Great bunch to deal with.
        mystudebaker.com

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
        63 Daytona HT
        51 2R16 dump truck
        52 Commander Starliner (will trade for another Stude <g&gt

Comment

I support out vendors, but the newbie asked a question about a local source. I buy my shocks at Autozone, but spent a bunch for Studebaker hard parts with the vendors to make up for it.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Avanti R2/4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          62 GT(parts car)
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Front: 61-64 Buick all; 63-65 Riviera All; Gabriel 82087
            Rear: Gabriel 82103
            You can use other shocks if you want but they have to be modified or or are of different but close specifications.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Buck

Buck,

Monroe # 5801ST will fit the front and Monroe # 5831NA will fit the rear. I think the # 5801ST shocks are for early 80s pontiacs (Bonneville, I believe). The # 5831NA shocks are for the rear of a late 70s Camaro. Both front and rear will need some modification to work on your Studebaker.

The # 5801ST front shocks have a smaller crossbar than the original studebaker front shocks. If you live in a warm climate you might get by without doing any more than using large washers under the nuts holding the crossbar to the A-arm. I live where the winters are cold and the extra resistance in the cold must have caused the small crossbar to flex a lot, as the ends kept breaking off. I now press out the small crossbar that comes in the shock and press in the longer, stronger crossbar from the older Studebaker shock. Temporarily squeeze the ends of the Studebaker crossbar together to form a point so you can more easily get it started in the center of the rubber bushing. Then, using a vise and brake fluid as a lubricant, press the crossbar into the rubber bushing. At some point you'll need to use an appropriate sized socket behind the rubber bushing to keep it from pushing out of the shock (the metal bar will pass into the open center of the socket). It can be a frustrating experience trying to push something through rubber, but it is possible and gets easier with practice. I've done this several times over the years.

The upper end of the # 5831NA shocks will also need to be modified. If I remember right, they come with an upper crossbar with flattened ends like the bottom of the Studebaker front shocks. I cut the crossbar on both side of the rubber bushing just inboard of the flattened area and use a metal drift to ensure the ends are round so the bolt will pass through. Then simply add enough washers on each side of the upper end of the shock to take up the space in the U-shaped crossmember. Put the same number on each side of the bushing to center the shock. This is a fairly easy and quick mod compared to the front.

Far as I know, this is what you are going to have to do if you really want to use Monroes. The bolt on replacements for the originals have not been available for years.

As mentioned by others in this thread, there are vendors who have Gabriel shocks that will bolt right on without modification. My '63 Hawk came from the factorey with Gabriels.

Dale

Comment

Got any Bilstein numbers?

It looks like front 94-96 Impala SS shocks will fit, which are the
                same as 70's Camaro front. Bilstein also makes a shock for the 70s
                Camaro, so if you want some REALLY nice shocks - go Bilstein! I
                converted my rear shocks on the Avanti to the earlier upper/lower eye
                shock, instead of the upper eye/lower shaft type. I need to source
                a Bilstein shock that will fit the eye/eye type. I had bought the
                Gabriel VST shocks for the Impala SS after having good results on my
                93 Camaro Z28, but they were terrible on the Impala SS. The car was
                all bouncy and road like a big marshmellow. I returned them, and got
                a set of Bilstein "Sport" shocks and WOW, what a difference. Its has
                a ride that is smooth, and comfortable, yet solid and stable. The
                bounce is gone. I highly recommend Bilstein, and if you get the shock
                in one you dont have to modify (voids warrenty), then you can continue
                to get replacements YEARS from now. Which reminds me, I have lifetime
                shocks with Sears on the Avanti, I wonder what they would do??

The shocks that fit my Avanti were early 70s Dodge van front, and then
                for the rear eye/eye type, 80s full size GM truck. But they are Sears
                brand, dont know of a cross to Bilstein - yet.

FYI, the Impala uses eye bottom/t-bolt top.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom; by rights, you should get a full refund of your $9.95 each or so that you paid for your Sears (Gabriel) shocks, since Sears no longer makes the Stude. shock! I believe you need the receipt for them, I have about a dozen receipts for my Sears Stude. shocks but I have not collected on any yet. In 1978 I bought (2) J.C.Penny Lifetime GRP 24 12V batteries for 2 of my 13 Studes. They made the mistake of thinking no one would own a car long enough to take them up on it! - WRONG! [}]us cheap Stude. guys do that! They've bought me 10 new Sears Die-Hards (over the years and still collecting, because the Warrantee was not "Pro-Rated" Lifetime, like they are now. (Penney's Auto Stores are gone now, but not the Dept. Store) They have been trying to buy me out, the last 2 times, -NO WAY! Good Luck! Rich.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Got any Bilstein numbers?
                  Which reminds me, I have lifetime
                  shocks with Sears on the Avanti, I wonder what they would do??
                  Tom
                  (Cut from Tom's long post)

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Tom; by rights, you should get a full refund of your $9.95 each or so that you paid for your Sears (Gabriel) shocks, since Sears no longer makes the Stude. shock
                    I think I have the receipt around there somewhere, my post might have
                    been a little confusing though, the shocks I installed on my Hawk were
                    not the "Stude" ones, at the time there were none available. I used
                    Dodge van up front (with larger washers on the bottom), and GM full
                    size truck rear (with washers to make up the difference at the top).
                    I transfered the shocks to the Avanti after totalling the Hawk, but the
                    receipt was a "carry out" or "walk in", so it wouldnt list model anyway.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
                    (Cut from Tom's long post)
                    Hehe, oh thats not a long post, I am the king of long-winded replies.

Speaking of warrenties, I just went through HECK recently with inacting
                    the warrenty on my 93 Camaro Z28 Gabriel VST shocks. I had a "lifetime"
                    warrenty though Pepboys, but they stopped carrying them. The people I
                    talked to said that I needed to buy the comparable Monroes. So I did,
                    and then they told me that they wouldnt refund on the Gabriels since it
                    wasnt possible to send the Gabriels to Monroe for return credit. It all
                    ended up working out, as I returned it to the another store who said
                    that they would do it, and even they hestitated a bit. I think they are
                    doing what they can to weasel out of "lifetime warrenties".

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                    X