PDA

View Full Version : Total Seal

dclewallen
07-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I've read [maybe here] about the use of Total Seal gapless rings in a Studebaker V-8 engine. Since they don't offer these rings in the standard 289 [3.5625] bore size what size could be used? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

1956 Hawk
07-27-2006, 06:11 PM
I ordered my rings directly from Total Seal. My engine is bored .060 over which I think matches some other engine. Anyway give them a call and see what they say. I think they will custom make rings in any size you want.
David

Mike Van Veghten
07-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Yea...when you look, DON'T look for Studebaker rings. Look for the diameter and the width you're interested in.

I don't remember about a stock bore sized ring, but who has a good stock bore size after this many years???

They have two gapless styles now and two styles within those two styles. A gapless second ring (first design) and a gapless first ring (second design). There is a lot less to choose from in the second design for right now though.
The "second" styles are a race oriented and a street oriented ring. The ring material is different.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

Alan
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Speed-O-motive in Covina CA. has Speed Pro make them up for them in any size you want plus you can get sets of 4 or 6 or whatever you need. but you have to tell them what size ring package you want like 5/64", 5/64" 3/16" Talk to Rich Sr. Oh! and 3.625 is Dodge Hemi 241 mis 50's

Karl
07-28-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm using the first design in the Twin. works real well. They recomend using a vacuum pump with the gapless first ring.

11SecAvanti
07-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Have used the Seal Power Gapless when the bore is .060" over or 3.625." Ring set is for the early 60's Plymouth V-8 272 cube motor which has a standard bore of 3.625. They work fine.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

dclewallen
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Once again, exactly the information I was loking for. Thanks to all,

07-29-2006, 10:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

I've read [maybe here] about the use of Total Seal gapless rings in a Studebaker V-8 engine. Since they don't offer these rings in the standard 289 [3.5625] bore size what size could be used? Thanks,

Uh, excuse my ignorance, but how do you install a gapless ring?

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Mike Van Veghten
07-29-2006, 12:33 PM
There are two styles of gapless rings.
Basically the same way a standard ring is installed.

1. Total Seal - This ring is made up from two rings. A standard ring with a section cut out of it so that an "oil ring" rail "type" of ring will fit inside of it. When you insert the two rings into the piston groove, you insert them so that the two gaps are opposite each other. When they are fit together, they are a tight fit to each other. Actually there is a very small gap at the cylinder interface but it doesn't amount to much of anything.

2. Childes and Albert - This ring is actually more than 360 degrees measured end to end. The ends are cut to actually overlap each other when inserted into the groove. The "tabs"...one up and one down, make up the gapless section. Again...there is actually a very small "gap" at the end, but you can't measure it with normal tools.

All the extra work manufacturing both rings noted above is why they cost two to three times as much as a normal ring

Both these rings will produce 0% to 2% leakage when the cylinder walls are honed correctly and broken in properly. They will also hold this rate for a very long time (miles wise).

A standard ring....if you are an "expert" at installing, honing, properly breaking in a set of rings...you may be able to obtain 6% leakage. Then...as soon as the engine is started for the first time...that 6% continues to grow and get worse.

Hope that helps.

Mike