This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what cars used this transmission?

I read that the Borg Warner 3 spd. torque converter transmission was used on many American and British cars. 1.) Which cars/which Studes? 2.) How similar is this to the GM powerglide? For your reference I am using "Studebaker Hawks & Larks 1956-1963" page 41., para. 4, ISBN 0 946489 19 X

Well, some models of Checker used that transmission, and the automatic transmission Jaguars from the 50's and 60's used it. Variations of this model can be found in some American motors and Ford products. I don't think it has any relationship to the GM powerglide at all. I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of. Transmission shops refer to it as the "iron case" Borg Warger, as opposed to the "aluminum case" borg warner of the later years.

Comment

Jeep Wagoneers used them until 71 or so.
      IIRC DIVCO delivery trucks used them as well.
      GM Powerglide is no relation at all.

Comment

That book is a compilation of road tests from various car magazines, mostly from the U.S. but some from other countries too. Their statement isn't really accurate. Briefly:

[u]1950-1955</u>, Studebaker Automatic Drive, Co-designed by Studebaker engineers and B-W to have a lock-up torque converter and other special features, mfg. by Detroit Gear Div., later used by Jaguar, maybe Rover and others too. Sometimes referred to as a 'three-band'.

[u]1956-1966</u>(1956-1962 in six cylinder models)Flightomatic, Borg-Warner model 8 (and variations), also known as Fordomatic, Rambler Flashamatic, and others. Not used in any imports that I am aware of.

[u]1963-1966</u> Six cylinder models only. B-W model 35, aluminum case, later used in several imports from GB, Japan, and I think Sweden.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
        X