PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Steering on Hawk

valleyguy
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Is there an "easy" way to modernize the steering on a
58 Hawk with non-power steering? (I realize "easy is
a relative term); I am not looking to just add
power steering.... Any other more modern system adaptable?
Thanks,

Dick Steinkamp
07-25-2006, 09:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

Thanks,

It would be good to know what your goal is. The Hawk steering is actually pretty good if all parts are in good condition. It would be the "easiest" to rebuild what you have and all parts are available from Studebaker vendors.

Phantom Auto Works does make a ball-joint/rack and pinion system for '51 and up Studes. They generally run a monthly ad in Turning Wheels.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

PackardV8
07-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Find a couple of satisfied users and drive any change or conversion before spending your own time and money.

FWIW, there are some rack-and-pinion steering conversions I have driven which were dangerous to drive fast. They had so much bump steer the car was all over the road.

Conversely, the Stude system, while not perfect is strong, reliable and just fine when all parts are new and properly adjusted. It is always an individual decision, but sometimes difficult to understand why some see value in $3000 of dubiously engineered conversion parts and won't spend $1,000 to make the Studebaker steering back to new.

This is coming from someone who had done his share of learning-the-hard-way engineering and has one such project coming out just now.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

DEEPNHOCK
07-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes.
Find a power steering setup off of a Hawk and buy all the stuff and swap it out.
Many guys have parted out Stude's and should have the stuff available.

quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

Thanks,

imported_n/a
07-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Noone's mentioned those Avanti steering arms I see available for about $100. They are recommended if you have power assist. I'm thinking about getting a set for the Packardbaker. Anyone else used them on a retrofit?

valleyguy
07-26-2006, 08:33 AM
My goal is to have a car that is easier to steer, especially
at low speed, parking etc. I am not interested in driving fast,
nor am I am trying to convert this car into a 2000-like model;
just make it easier to drive. Your input and suggestions are
very helpful. thanks,

casey
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Valleyguy- I would recommend overhauling your stock front end and getting a power steering setup. In the end it is the cheapest and easiest way to get good steering, and it will give you what you want: easier steering at slow speeds. Believe me, I've proved this to myself several times. You might also want to get a sway bar setup from a '64. Better design. And remember to use a tube wrench when tightening your power steering lines, otherwise they will seep.

valleyguy
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks, think I may go with that. I'll look around to see
what I can locate in terms of a power steering unit....

JD

PackardV8
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi, Packardbaker,

FWIW, most members find just adding the quick ratio steering arms to an existing system makes for a 'twitchy' feel. This is caused by two factors:

1. Worn parts now having less leverage against the wheels, so road irregularities move the wheels easier. The cure is to completely rebuild all wear parts so there is no slop in the system.

2. Studebaker designed the steering in the pre-power days, so they used negative caster to make it easier to park. Negative caster also makes the car turn too easily at higher speeds and the quick ratio steering arms make it more so. The cure is to find an experienced Studebaker alignment guy and have him crank in ALL the positive caster the adjustment will allow. Have seen some cars where that would only get back close to zero caster, but still better than any negative caster.

thn,x jv.

PackardV8