This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot WAS it Biggs?

It was 110 here this afternoon. We've seen this and more in the past. Of course, we've never had a run of triple digit days like we're having so far this summer.
    Anyway, I had to go across town in the hottest part of the day. Transtar was ready and willing and we headed out on the 15 mile trek.

You may well know of the "under the hood" accessibility that Stude promoted when the first C-cabs debuted in '48 (yes Gary - they were '49 models). Or maybe you haven't heard of this feature. Either way, I've never been really impressed by it. I think it's kind of a pain in the backside to work around and under the rear corner of the hood, but I'm sure it made for good press in '48.

What it really means is that the backside of the instruments and switches are exposed to the engine compartment. Not that there's anything wrong with that ....... until it's 100 and some degrees outside!
    Got where I was going. Parked under a bit of shade and reached for the key. Flipped it off and started to extract it.... YEOW! dropped the keys to the floor and sat there contemplating for a moment! DAMN they were hot!
    I got out, grabbed at the keys on the floorboard and then gingerly juggled them and thrust them into my pocket. Mmmmm... nice WARM feeling.[:0]
    Got into the store, bought what I'd come for and hit the register. Gal said "That'll be 10.24 please" I got the key ring back out (it has one of those plastic change purses attached to it) and counted out the 24 cents. When I handed it to the gal, she exclaimed "Geez! It must really be hot out!"
    I told her, "You should have to hold the keys!" Of course, she just looked at me with a befuddled grin.[:X]

BTW, after heat soaking for 15 minutes or so while I was in the store, the Transtar's heat gage was as high as I've ever seen it. Yet she started right up, never faltered and the heat gage was back to normal (where it ALWAYS is) before I got out of the parking lot.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

That must be what they mean when they say, "Hotter'n a 2-dollar hooker"...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yeah, it's been hot here too, but nowhere near as hot as where you are. I can handle it OK but my wife can't; she's about to go insane. And you'd have to hock your firstborn to find an air conditioner in the store these days [:0]

Studebaker content: I'm glad my Lark is white on days like this!

BTW, I'm writing this at 6AM and it's already 80 on my back porch...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Yea, I know what you mean, Biggs. Hot up here in Bellingham also. Supposed to get up to 77 F here today. I like it better around 75 [}]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I could be wrong but I saw where you got a taste of the mid-90s, Dick. Or was Al Roker just jokin'?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I had to visit the Phoenix Skyharbor Airport
            last evening, 115 in the shade at 6pm....

Glen Brose
            Chino Valley, AZ
            Home of "Charlene"
            53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

Neat Glen - did you take the Stude? Say, isn't that the airport where folks basically have hangars as well as garages? []

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes that is Sky Harbor....hangers and garages. I
                would love to take "Charlene" down there, but the
                road back to Chino Valley is all up a very steep
                hill, and would need a ski tow rope to get her back
                to the top of the hill. My wife has suggested to get
                a "pilot" car, as to warn people about a slow moving
                "Studebaker" ahead........[8D]

Glen Brose
                Chino Valley, AZ
                Home of "Charlene"
                53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

Been hot in Mississippi to last week temp over 100 every day n heat index 107 to 120. The dang chicken would drink water n lay hard -boiled eggs

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Working...
                  X