PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rebuider

Hawk5619
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Who would be a good choice to send the carb off my 50 champ and the 4 barrel off my 63 Hawk to get them rebuilt. I could just get the kits and do it myself but I am all thumbs when it comes to rebuilding carbs.

Rick
50 Champ
60 Lark
63 Hawk

rockne10
07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would do a good job. For my money, you can't go wrong with Dave Thibeault (T-Bow).

13 Nick Lane
Maynard, Ma. 01754
(978) 897-3158

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Hawk5619
07-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks Brad!
I will give Dave a call. I remember seeing the name of a good carb rebuilder posted on here before and that was the name I was looking for.

Rick

CHAMP
07-25-2006, 08:10 AM
You might want to try Bill Cathcart for the 50 champ they are his specialty. He sells a real nice duel carb. and header set up for the champion. He also has high compresion alum. head and pertronix igntion for the Champion.[8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

wagone
07-25-2006, 10:39 AM
IMHO carbs "ain't" all that hard to rebuild and what little is hard is hard for someone else to do also. So..........do it yourself and you'll know it is done right or leave it to someone else for BIG bucks and you'll always wonder what short cuts they took and what they left as "oh well, that's good enough for this bozo." Again, just MHO and a LOT of people will disagree.....but that makes life interesting. REMEMBER, there are a LOT of people out there who are convinced that they just gotta make X number of dollars per hour and if your job is cutting into their "average" they just might take that "odd" shortcut on your job. But I suppose that is the cynic in me speaking and is a result both of being in the "fourth quarter of my life" and having been sc**wed once too many times.[}:)][}:)][}:)]
Yeah, the devil in me made me say it! I swear in the "old days" people were honest (at least Stude people) but now all they seem to want is "gimmie your money" and they don't seem too bashful about it either.....oh well, maybe I'm getting old. Someone out there convince me I'm wrong, please. Nah, the effort just isn't worth it.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

DEEPNHOCK
07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Funny you mention that...
I took in a side job at the behest of a good neighbor friend.
Seemed easy enough, but after doing what I said I would do I was not happy with the results.
Due to the fact that this person needed her SUV back at the end of the day I returned it and told her I wanted it back first thing in the morning to finish it 'to my satisfaction'. I told her not to pay me until it was done, but she insisted on paying me for my work and thanked me profusely for doing what I did for her.
What I did 'extra' was to check her oil (added 2 quarts) and checked her cooling system (added almost a gallon to the radiator and empty puke tank).. Cleaned the top off of the battery and greased her front suspension.
She was flabbergasted when I told her my labor charge was 'only' going to be $250...
I almost felt guilty until she said a local shop quoted her $750...
Amazing thing what personal satisfaction is... I won't let it go until I say it is 'correct'...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by wagone

IMHO carbs "ain't" all that hard to rebuild and what little is hard is hard for someone else to do also. So..........do it yourself and you'll know it is done right or leave it to someone else for BIG bucks and you'll always wonder what short cuts they took and what they left as "oh well, that's good enough for this bozo." Again, just MHO and a LOT of people will disagree.....but that makes life interesting. REMEMBER, there are a LOT of people out there who are convinced that they just gotta make X number of dollars per hour and if your job is cutting into their "average" they just might take that "odd" shortcut on your job. But I suppose that is the cynic in me speaking and is a result both of being in the "fourth quarter of my life" and having been sc**wed once too many times.[}:)][}:)][}:)]
Yeah, the devil in me made me say it! I swear in the "old days" people were honest (at least Stude people) but now all they seem to want is "gimmie your money" and they don't seem too bashful about it either.....oh well, maybe I'm getting old. Someone out there convince me I'm wrong, please. Nah, the effort just isn't worth it.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
Ocala, FL.[u](For one more month!)</u>
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

rockne10
07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
I can buy a kit and rebuild a carb, and have done so many times. But, when the fuel still evaporates through the body, the pump still dries up and the throttle pivot is worn out, I give up and send it to T-Bow. He doesn't rebuild them, he restores them: rechromates the body to stop evaporation, cadmium plates linkages, etc. They look like new and work like new.

Last year he did the two barrels for my 51 and 53; $175 exchange. When I had a problem with the 51 I called him and he said send it back. He found a tiny piece of casting slag, redid it and sent it back, no charge.

I'll rebuild once. After that, it's not worth my time to piddle with it.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Laemmle
07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Jon Myer is great and Honest!!

Also the Holly Factory in Springfield, Tenn does unbelievable work on Carter two and four bbl's...

wagone
07-26-2006, 02:15 PM
You know life continues to amaze me and probably will until I'm 85 or 90 (if I'm lucky enough to live that long). Some of you swear by the work of various vendors and so I try them and...... You explain it, I can't. And I'm not a hard a** nor am I hard to get along with. Go figure? I can't and I've tried! Maybe it can all be explained by the simple fact that we all have off days. But I also live by the credo "screw me once and it's your fault, screw me a second time and it's my fault for letting you 'get close to me' a second time."

wagone

Laemmle
07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Wagone,

Are you saying that all the suggestion(s) on this forum have been un-successful for you? Both Thibeault and Myer stand behind their work, so does Holly.....I know because I have used all three and have been totally satisfied with all of them.

wagone
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
The maddening thing about an orphan car for a hobby is that you write off a vendor because of a BAD experience (as I said MAYBE a bad day--and heavens know we all have them) and later you learn "oh, they are the ONLY supplier for that part/service". Puts you in rather a tight spot....to put it mildly. I've had SERIOUS issues with three Stude vendors and I've sworn not to use them again. In this country you criticize someone and the next thing you know you find yourself summonded to court......not exactly a pleaseant experience for something which is supposed to be a hobby. So the only recourse is to swallow the loss and swear never to be burned by that person again. I'm just at a loss to understand my bad experiences in light of some other comments....and I'm not naming names nor suggesting which, if any, of the vendors I've seen referenced here are "on my list". There, that should satisfy my attorney.....I hope! However, it also stands to reason that only a LIMITED number of vendors exist in our hobby........it isn't like there are an unlimited number of suppliers as exist for all the brand Xs in the world (and most of us have our favorite brand X source, I imagine)......and therein is the crux of the problem, of course. I could go on but the prudent attorney looking over my shoulder suggests otherwise.

wagone

Laemmle
07-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Ya know, there are only three A-holes in the world...:(it's just that they get around a -lot!:D:D:D

GTtim
07-29-2006, 12:01 AM
quote: Ya know, there are only three A-holes in the world...it's just that they get around a -lot

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

In the past 4 years I think I've done business with every Studebaker vendor out there. I've had problems with all of them. The hobby is PROBLEMATIC! Every one of the Studebaker vendors has stuck by their work, even when they didn't have to. I have absolutely NO COMPLAINTS about any of the Studebaker vendors. If you think about the logistical nightmare it has become to try to find parts that will function and look like the original when the original is no longer available and the next best choice has production on those parts that is maybe one/hundred-thousandth of the original run, or the only thing that is left is 40 years old. I'm just grateful that there is anybody at all out there that is willing to fool around with this stuff and not charge me huge sums to do it. The last time I checked, our Studebaker vendors were offering disc brake calipers at about 80% of the what the Jaguar vendors were getting for the same thing! I think that is value and I don't mind having to check things over a bit, afterall we are not talking Ford or Chevy volume on anything we buy.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

Laemmle
07-29-2006, 11:07 AM
WHAT???

Tim, first you state you have had problems with all the vendors, then you state you have no problems....which is it???????

I have had situations with parts that had problems..Myer, Thibeault, and Holly gave me no grief, they stepped up took the problem items back and corrected what needed to be fixed....all at no charge to me...what more can one expect....blood??

wagone
07-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Tim K. raises a real good point and I want to thank him for the comment. But it also seems true that if the vendor can't get the correct part any longer then he ought to be HONEST enough to tell his customers that rather than to sell something that hasn't a prayer's chance in you know where of functiong as it should.......or even close. However, I must admit in the end analysis that orphan cars are a separate problem unto themselves. I'd like to go into some details of the problems I've encountered with the goal being getting some feedback from some of you as to whether I'm expecting too much. But to do so would invite the wrath of those with whom I've dealt (not all, some have been great).

wagone