PDA

View Full Version : Brake cylinder goo

curt
07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm replacing the brakes(lining,cylinders,hoses). I notice a varnish goo inside the rubber covers of the brake cylinders. Is this dried DOT3? Do come folks put grease inside the outer rubber covers of the wheel cylinders??

Transtar60
07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
The goo is a mixture of brake fluid, water and dirt . And corrosion of the various insides of the brake components.
Clean it all out and rebuild the cylinders.

N8N
07-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I put a little silicone grease on the lips of the cups when I rebuild wheel cylinders; I don't know if it helps or not but it sure does make them go together easier and it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
07-23-2006, 10:08 PM
NAPA carries honest-to-gosh "Brake Assembly Lube" I've used it for years. I used to use the Girling brake assy grease that was supplied free in their repair kits, but I finally used all of the little tubes I had saved from the good ol' days so I turned to the NAPA stuff. McKay makes it too. I don't know if that brand is universally prevealant across the US but it's common out here.
Seems to be glycerin based. I don't really know for sure but I like using it. (on the brakes, of course!)
When I was into rubber-powered free flight models, we used a green soap and glycerin mixture to lube the multi-stranded rubber motors. It made the rubber less likely to cut into itself when wound to the max. Less chance of knots developing as well.
You remember that ol' Green Soap from school days, right?[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

CHAMP
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the DOT 5 brake fluid![8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.