This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing VIN plate

I have a 52 1 ton Stude P/UP that has a title and has no vin plate or body tag. I inherited it along with a lot of other studes and other misc cars and trucks. My fosterparent was good at keeping records on these vehicles but this one needs a vin plate and body tag so i can sell it. Are there any reproduction vin plates and body tags out there as i would like the pickup to reflect the proper vin #. Also i have a 57 Golden Hawk and i need to know what other transmissions can be used on this car to make it driveable and close to correct. I would consider selling the car with some extra parts. It has 51000 actual miles on it and the last person to ofer to buy it was offering $10,000 with the extra parts and 60 hawk for parts.

Lon,

Check in the glove box to see if there are any old records there, such as a registration slip, etc. At that time in Virginia, engine numbers rather that serial numbers were used on the title.

I would not be too concerned with the body tag as it just signified in what order the cab was produced (along with trim and paint codes) and has no correlation to your truck. The serial number will be below the seat on the riser on the driver's side. Should read something like 2R14-22XXXXX or 2R15-31XXXXX depending on the engine, with the 22 or 31 designating the wheelbase (122" OR 131").

The plates attached with screws and I have seen reproduction ones on e-bay for around $40-$45.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1948 M-16 grain truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser
    And various other "treasures"
    Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Unfortunately the only correct *manual* transmission for a '57 Golden Hawk would be a T85 with overdrive from a '57 Golden Hawk. The '56 version I believe was different in some way related to the input shaft so it would mate to the Packard engine and bellhousing, and the '58 version had a long tailshaft. I would be willing to bet that a T85/OD from a Studebaker V-8 truck with a 2-piece driveshaft would work but I think the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are different.

If the car is an automatic, you'd want a watercooled Flightomatic, again from a car with a two piece driveshaft, which I think pretty much limits you to a '57 Golden Hawk. Maybe a truck transmission would work, I don't know, but automatic trucks are rare. Any V-8 Flightomatic from a '56 or '57 car will bolt in and work with no mods, you just won't have the trans cooler.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If the vin plate is not reproduced. I would get a picture of a correct one and make it myself. I know on cars the stickers are available and all you would need is a small square piece of SS and stamp whatever number that is on the title. With some Stude nut's as exceptions no one will ever notice it is not exact but they will notice if there is none. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Looks like this guy repops them...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lon,

Looking at that guy's Ebay offerings - the picture with FIVE different plates showing - you need the one middle one on the right. It should have (in the blank space) 2R14 or 2R15 depending on which flathead 6 it has, followed by 4 or 5 more digits (the actual serial number part). On any registration, it would read 2R14-XXXX or 2R15XXXX'
            That said..... when these trucks were new alot of states were issuing registrations that used the ENGINE'S serial number! But if it were me, to cope with today's DMV thinking, I'd establish the TRUCK serial number for it's ID. Serial number's same thing as what they call "VIN number" nowdays. Lots of folks don't understand that and we get a newbie here every now and then that wants us to "decode" his Stude's VIN number so he can learn as much about it as possible when in truth there's not much to decode save for model and MAYBE what plant it came from.
            As was said earlier, a body tag really won't do much for you as far as establishing papers for this thing.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X