This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one for the Crusher.

In Newark Ohio, a '61 4 headlight Cruiser, (emblem on front fenders) is offered for $800, not negotiable. SN 61V25660 Body tag 61V Y6 - 4372, with an Air Con tag. Automatic. The only thing left of the AC is the pully on the crank. No PS no PB. The car is straight, but rusty, bottoms of doors, fenders, etc. Floor pan may not be too bad, I tried punching it around the A pillar and didn't poke through. Never been repainted, black. Odeometer reads 51,xxx and it could be once over. All four tires are flat, the seller says 'it fires right up' but because the brake lines are shot he never put it in gear. I wasn't able to get the number off the engine due to the hovering owner. Its' a shame, shouldn't be crushed, but he's given up trying to sell it, will crush it by the middle of the week, he says.

I didn't realize any '61s had 4 headlights.

Any interest, email me and I'll get you a phone no.

Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built cars

Can he really get $800 for this car from a scrap metal dealer?

I personally hate these "buy it or it goes to the crusher" threats.

By the time he loads it on a car carrier, finds the title (a scrapper won't take it without the title generally), hauls it to a scrap yard, gets grief from the scrap yard for it still having oil, antifreeze and gas in it, hauls it home and drains the fluids, takes it back to the scrap dealer, gets $75 for it, maybe it pays for his gas and his trouble.

He'd be better off giving it to a Stude nut who will haul it off for him.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

AMEN!, Dick. That's the STUPIDEST STRATEGY ever. "If you don't give me my price for this, I'm gonna take it to the scrap yard!!!"[8]

If I wasn't too steamed to talk, I'd say: "YOU can haul it to the crusher for $80 bucks OR, you can let ME have the hassle of toting it away and get $125 for it. Which makes more sense???"[|)]

Studebaker extortion. Yeah - that'll work![xx(]

I did have one guy that laid such a threat on me when I was first into Studes. He had two decent but non-running GTs in his back yard and wanted me to buy whatever parts I wanted off them. (Bear in mind, this was 73 or 74 - there wasn't much demand for USED Studebaker anything because there was so much NOS stuff to be had)
      So I DID buy a few things off him and he was happy with that. Later I went back for something else and the price he gave me was way outta line with the sort of prices I'd paid just a week or two earlier. The guy was visibly pissed that I'd come there but was gonna leave empty-handed because I didn't like his prices. He hollered after me that if I didn't like the stuff at THAT price, I wouldn't get it at ANY price.
      I found out later that he chopped them up - LITERALLY - chopped them up ....... with an AXE! Every piece of chrome and stainless on the car got whacked in his rage! [}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah Tom, somewhere in mid-production, the 61s went from single headlights to dual.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Bob, I figured that was it, I knew it was a 61, same body, tail lights, (about) as my 60, but there were those four headlights.

I thought about asking of his logic, but decided against it. I had asked what the least he would take for it, and he said $900 with the $800 right there on the sign. Saturday Afternoon, typical red neck (local term) scrawney, unshaven, big pick-up truck, beer and all. No way was I gonna debate salesmanship. I hate to see the engine go away, but I dont' have room, or that kind of money.

Would the Cruiser have had a 289?

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '60 Lark VI
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Tom B

Thanks, Bob, I figured that was it, I knew it was a 61, same body, tail lights, (about) as my 60, but there were those four headlights.

I thought about asking of his logic, but decided against it. I had asked what the least he would take for it, and he said $900 with the $800 right there on the sign. Saturday Afternoon, typical red neck (local term) scrawney, unshaven, big pick-up truck, beer and all. No way was I gonna debate salesmanship. I hate to see the engine go away, but I dont' have room, or that kind of money.

Would the Cruiser have had a 289?

Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '60 Lark VI
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon

[/quote ]

Yep, I think a Cruiser would have had a 289. Wouldn't be a full-flow block, though. The tail lights, if intact, are worth about $75 each, maybe more. Unobtainium.

Something to try: find a local independent towing operator with a rollback truck, and get him to buy the car on your behalf. Give him $300 in cash to wave beneath the seller's nose. Seller probably knows he won't get $800 for scrap, but he might snap at an opportunity to make a quick 3 bills.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

About 10 years ago I ran an ad in a buy and sell rag that was published about 125 miles from my house. I got a call from an older gentleman who had a '63 E-28 flatbed with 16K original miles on it and all the original tires. He was asking $3500 for it at the time and I never even considered making the trip, but kept his number.

About 5 years ago I decided to call him to see if it was still available. Turns out it was, he was the second owner having bought it at a government auction in 1970 with 10K on the clock. I asked how much he wanted and the price was down to $600. It was now worth the drive and after parting with $550 I ended up with the truck.

I would have also taken the Hillman Minx he had, but a tree limb had broken the rear window and rain had gotten in the car.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
              1948 M-16 grain truck
              1949 2R16A grain truck
              1949 2R17A fire truck
              1955 E-38 grain truck
              1957 3E-40 flatbed
              1961 6E-28 grain truck
              1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
              1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
              1964 Cruiser
              And various other "treasures"
              Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I sometimes make a point of leaving my name and number with someone who's trying to sell a Stude for more than I want to pay. I've had a couple instances where they called me after a time and were ready to listen to whatever I had to say.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yeah Tom, somewhere in mid-production, the 61s went from single headlights to dual.

Bob; all Cruiser models and Regal models had dual headlights. Only the Deluxe models had singles, though one could order dual headlights for it. I owned two 1961's, a Deluxe 4 door and a Cruiser with a 259.

Craig.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I sometimes make a point of leaving my name and number with someone who's trying to sell a Stude for more than I want to pay. I've had a couple instances where they called me after a time and were ready to listen to whatever I had to say.
                    Bob,

I made a detour on my way to the Atlantic Zone Meet for just that purpose today. I ended up taking a buddy of mine with me to look at the '63 E-28 and he showed me a decent '59 1/2 with a homemade flatbed on it. The owner didn't want to sell and it has been about 4 years since I had any contact with him, but the truck is still there. I think I will give him a call and see if it might be available.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                    1948 M-16 grain truck
                    1949 2R16A grain truck
                    1949 2R17A fire truck
                    1955 E-38 grain truck
                    1957 3E-40 flatbed
                    1961 6E-28 grain truck
                    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                    1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
                    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And various other "treasures"
                    Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

It never ceases to amaze how stupid simple greed will make people.

Lotsa Larks!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I wold like to correct a couple of errors stated earlier in this thread.

ALL 1961 Lark Regal and Cruiser models had dual headlights.
                        ALL 1961 Lark DeLuxe models came standard with single headlights, but the dual headlights were a factory option.
                        ALL 1961 Cruisers came standard with the 259 V8. The 289 V8 was a factory option on the 1961 Cruiser. I only recall seeing one with a factory 289.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY
                        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

ALL 1961 Lark Regal and Cruiser models had dual headlights.
                          ALL 1961 Lark DeLuxe models came standard with single headlights, but the dual headlights were a factory option.
                          ALL 1961 Cruisers came standard with the 259 V8. The 289 V8 was a factory option on the 1961 Cruiser. I only recall seeing one with a factory 289.

Exactly! Re-read my previous post!!

The '61 Cruiser I owned was rather plain for that model. It was 259 automatic, bench front seat, (most others I've seen are reclining), and no radio.

Craig

Comment

In my search for my very own Studebaker I ran across this dream boat,I think this one really is ready for the Crusher.

Randy_G

This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

This sounds like a guy I used to deal with! Used to roll his own cigarettes, too! Been dead for years, bless his soul. Usually though, if they are halfway sane, these colorful characters will accept counter offers if you just have the patience and time to keep coming back to humor them and negotiate. Remember one thing though--they are ALWAYS right!

Comment

Working...
                              X