PDA

View Full Version : rim paint

curt
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
On a 1955 President State, is the inside of the rim painted black, or 'rim color' or what color?

N8N
07-21-2006, 10:19 PM
What color is your car? On some of the older Studes, rim color was dependent on (but not always the same as) the body color.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

curt
07-22-2006, 08:43 AM
The car is white over yellow. The question has two parts : Color of the out side of the rim and color of the inside of the rim.

ROADRACELARK
07-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I believe for the most part, the wheels were painted the main body color in the early years, and later some were painted argent (silver) if the small hubcaps were used. Around 61' or 62' they started paint them an off-white color varying in shades depending on which Stude plant built the car. As for the rear side of the wheels, that color depended on which wheel supplier Studebaker was using at that time. Most of the time you'll find the back sides painted either black or light machine grey. Mabe the spare wheel will show what color? Hope this helps.:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

curt
07-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. The car was repainted before I purchased it. The spare is all off white and the other four rims are painted off white on one side and black on thre other side. I suspect the off white on outer side only is correct with the innerside black.

curt
07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
The present rims are of unknown age and condition. One hubcap will rotate and I have tried the fixes for a rotating full disk hubcap without succes. I conclude the rims are flexing with the radial tires. That is why I'm purchasing new rims from a Stude Vendor and painting the rims. Omaha bound in a few months.:)

curt
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I used an off white paint on the new rims, same color as was on the car's rims when I purchased it. I left the back side of the rims black. They look great. The old rims , I keep two and tossed two. I think other two rims are good but have no knowledge to judge.