PDA

View Full Version : Flushing the gas line?

Eman
07-21-2006, 08:17 PM
With my tank off getting cleaned up a little, is there anyway to flush out the fuel line to get any remaining junk out of it? There's not really anything that can force something through the line since it's not connected, is there?

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog
www.alabamastudes.com

avantilover
07-21-2006, 09:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Eman

With my tank off getting cleaned up a little, is there anyway to flush out the fuel line to get any remaining junk out of it? There's not really anything that can force something through the line since it's not connected, is there?

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog
www.alabamastudes.com

I'm not a mechanic, but what about using air pressure to blow out any junk in the line. Or, you could just replace the fuel line with new tubing and know all will be well, after all you'll have a "new" fuel tank after it's been treated:)

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

rockne10
07-21-2006, 09:51 PM
I second John's suggestion of taking this opportunity to replace the line. If that doesn't suit your goals, you can spray a can or two of carb cleaner or gum cutter through the line and then blow it out with an air hose. You may want to shield the other end with shop rags so you don't splatter your floor or walls.

Brad
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

ROADRACELARK
07-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Just an added safety item or two.... First, DON'T use an electric trouble light of any kind...flash light only;) Do this outside if at all possible, gas soaks into concrete... the fumes linger, don't risk it. Aerosol sprays such as carb cleaner or even brake cleaner work well for this job, followed by air pressure. Install a inline fuel filter ahead of the fuel pump, to trap any left-overs from the tank cleaning. Pumps are easily stopped up. The old "ounce of prevention" applies here.:) Hope this helps.
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.