PDA

View Full Version : tri-star placement

mdelapp
07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I just picked up a tri-star for the hood of my 53 Commander Hardtop. Does anyone know the dimension this should be up from the bottom of the hood and the placement of the "8" above it. I've got the picture from "Studebaker's Finest" but would like to be as accurate as possible. I only want to drill the holes once.

Thanks

Mike DeLapp

Mike DeLapp

Jeff_H
07-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I just went out to the garage and measured the one on my '53 champion hardtop. The star should be the same. I assume the hood has been "shaved" at some point and holes filled? There is a reinforcement plate on the back side of the hood in the front and the studs for the star go through it. There ought to be holes or the sign of them. If not, there are 3 studs, one on the bottom and one for each arm of the star. The bottom one is 4-7/16" from the bottom edge of the hood as measured on the inside. It comes through that plate just under the rib where the reinforcement tubes attach. If the star is on, the outside extreme pointy tip is 3-15/16" up from the bottom edge as measured on the outside. The 2 arm studs come through right at the corners of the reinforcement plate. As for the "8", I assume its about the same as the "S" on mine. On the outside, there is about 1/4" gap between the bottom of the "S" and the crotch of the star. These should be the factory holes as my hood is original to the car and hasn't had any mods or repairs done in that area.

Hope this helps.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

rockne10
07-21-2006, 10:00 PM
My hood is in primer and I could lay a template over it and mark the holes and send it to you if necessary. Do you need it for the trunk as well?

Brad
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

mdelapp
07-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I have the trunk in place
Brad I would appreciate a template.
Mail to :

Mike DeLapp
266 W. Lake Shore Drive
Barrington, IL 60010

Thanks

Mike DeLapp

rockne10
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Mike,

Sorry, I missplaced your second email. I've retraced the template for the hood and it's in the mail Thursday morning.

Brad

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser