This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunning Sky Hawk

Great car from what I can tell from the brief write up.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    51 Commander

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Great car from what I can tell from the brief write up.
    It is a beautiful car, but I think he just made a donation to eBay.

A $17,900 required opening bid (knowing the reserve is above that) is not the best way to generate some auction excitement. A 1 1/2 line description and 4 pictures isn't going to instill confidence in bidders that this is truly a nice car.

It's a shame, because if it is a great car, a low opening required bid, a thorough description, plenty of pictures might just bring what the car is worth. (I really don't get the lack of pictures part. I think in a basic eBay Motors ad you get 24 free pictures).

In his defense, the seller has never bought or sold anything on eBay. Someone probably told him "just put it on eBay, you'll make a bundle"...so he did.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm 100% in concurrance with Dick here. He saved me some keystrokes.[^]

I might add that the correct horn button for this car (features the Studebaker "coat of arms" - so to speak) isn't that hard to find. I've seen a number of nice ones on ebay in recent months.[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, and he might want to clean the dirt out of the footwells too. Sheesh.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Just another example of how JDP earns his money.

This is probably a nice car, but the '56J hardtops with two-tone paint usually attract the most attention. Has anyone ever seen/heard of a Sky Hawk going north of $18k? That is Golden Hawk territory in the recent past.

If he did everything with NOS parts, he has more than $18k in it. Again, just picking the nits, having the dash overlay dented in over the clock hole looks cheesy. Install the optional tach and clock and it adds $1000 to the interior appeal.

More detail about the engine and transmission is needed - "The motor and transmission are in excellent condition, and the car runs and drives like a dream." Rebuilt or not? If so, to what standard? We all know a full pro-rebuild of those two items is worth close to $4-5k now. Just having the Power Pak 4-bbl and dual exhausts is worth another $1k in bragging rights. Does it or doesn't it?

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Nice appearing car, but as others with more knowledge than I have said it appears very easy to get shafted on a purchase of this sort. Too many possible discrepancies and shortcomings to make this car worth that kind of money. I've been tempted more than a few times to bid on e-Bay but I always get cold feet bidding cold hard cash when you can't even see the sucker (pictures, even 24, can hide a lot!). No guts, no glory I guess. Tomorrow I leave for Pennsylvania with a friend to pick up a Trans Am he just bought on e-Bay.....so I'll be interested to see how that experience works out for him. Somehow it seems that buying on e-Bay is like marrying a mail order bride. My luck is that even seeing the car and owner before making the purchase leads to less than a satisfactory experience.....or do I expect too much?[?][?]

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

I'd say out of every 10 cars I buy on ebay, 5 are about as described, 3 are better, 1 much better, 1 worse. Out of the 100 or so I've bought, I've only lost money on two from less then honest sellers when resold.
              Most car have good news, bad news issues. i.e. the seller did not mention the bad brakes, but the pot metal was mint.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
              64 Daytona HT
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Avanti R1/AC
              63 Avanti R2/4 speed
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Hawk
              51 Commander
              JDP Maryland

Comment

A Sky Hawk is the only postwar Studebaker that I really like that I have yet to own. With the opening bid on this one, I doubt that it will be this one, at least on this first go around. The guy has been on eBay for 17 months and has zero feedback.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is it me, or does it have two left front bumper guards? Kinda hard to tell from the picture, but it does not look quite balanced from the front.

Will

"The Common Sense Car"
                  "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
                  '63 Lark "Lucy"
                  '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
                  A bunch of other Larks
                  '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Are my eyes bad, or does the script on the rear deck read "Silver Hawk"? It looks too long to be only 3 letters and I do not see the tail for the "y".

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                    1948 M-16 grain truck
                    1949 2R16A grain truck
                    1949 2R17A fire truck
                    1955 E-38 grain truck
                    1957 3E-40 flatbed
                    1961 6E-28 grain truck
                    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                    1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
                    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And various other "treasures"
                    Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I thought so at first, but it's just a bad pic. I enhanced the contrast in Photoshop and got this:

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It is a good-looking car! My professional opinion is that there aren't enough photos of it, particularly of those areas where rust can hide, like the trunk. And photos of the engine and chasisis would show how slick this car is. And,the starting bid is too high, considering that there is also a reserve. I attribute this to the seller's inexperience with EBay.

Comment

Working...
                        X