PDA

View Full Version : T-85,T-86 Overdrive Question.......

imported_n/a
07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
This is probably an easy one for long-time Stude people. I was looking through "Thoughts On Restoring......., and it said(lets see if I have this right) that V8 Studes with Overdrives use the T-86, and that 56 Golden Hawks and 57-58 (supercharged)Golden Hawks, and 58 (supercharged)Packard Hawks use the T-85 with Overdrive. That is, if so equipped originally with stick/overdrive. Right? My question is: What transmission would a 57 Packard sedan(superharged) with stick and ovrdrive be equipped with? The reason I ask this is because I am in the process of shopping for a rough donor car so I can convert the Packebaker to 3/od. Is either transmission all-syncho, as some Packard trans were? Is it a problem to install a 57 sedan trans in a 58 htp due to the driveshaft hanger/length differences? Thanks.

StudeRich
07-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Packe; It would have a short tail T85 HD Overdrive trans. like '57 Golden Hawks. To install a short tail '57 Trans. in a '58 with a one piece driveshaft, you would have to re-create the crossmember and support bearing setup (cut it out of the '57) to use the '57 2 piece shaft OR the simple way is to use a slip yoke like a short bed Stude. truck used to connect the fixed yoke trans to a one piece driveshaft. The Stude. parts catalogs are the best way to see all this stuff, you need to get some.[^] The driveshaft can be made at a driveshaft shop starting with any longer shaft with std. Stude. & Chevy Truck U-joints, adding the splined slip yoke and cutting to length - no problem. All '50's & '60's 3 speeds I know of are syncro in 2nd and high, no reason to be in low, unless you don't believe in making full stops at stop signs. [}:)]
Hope this helps, Rich.:)

quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

This is probably an easy one for long-time Stude people. I was looking through "Thoughts On Restoring......., and it said(lets see if I have this right) that V8 Studes with Overdrives use the T-86, and that 56 Golden Hawks and 57-58 (supercharged)Golden Hawks, and 58 (supercharged)Packard Hawks use the T-85 with Overdrive. That is, if so equipped originally with stick/overdrive. Right? My question is: What transmission would a 57 Packard sedan(superharged) with stick and ovrdrive be equipped with? The reason I ask this is because I am in the process of shopping for a rough donor car so I can convert the Packebaker to 3/od. Is either transmission all-syncho, as some Packard trans were? Is it a problem to install a 57 sedan trans in a 58 htp due to the driveshaft hanger/length differences? Thanks.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Roscomacaw
07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Yes, the T-85 is what's called out for a 57Packard. And yes, your gonna have to engineer a driveshaft setup because the 57 cars had the 2-piece shafts and the 58s had a one-piece shaft. This means a fair difference in the configuration of the tranny's rear. Fixed yoke for 57 - slip-joint yoke for '58. :D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS