PDA

View Full Version : Mystery oil

valleyguy
07-17-2006, 03:30 PM
I jacked up the back of my Hawk to work on the rear suspension...
Now I have noticed a rather large puddle of oil on my garage
floor under the drivers side near the front. It's a dirty
looking oil, like engine oil (which it is not since I have
clean oil in the engine); it's located nearly under where the
steering/ master cylinder are located. anyone have an idea
what this oil is coming from????? thanks,

Roscomacaw
07-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Are you saying this puddle developed AFTER you jacked up the rear? If so, Maybe it's from within the frame? Maybe it's been sitting in the left, front body mount (at the bottom of the firewall - above the frame rail. That boxed in mount point can easily clog with gunk or dead leaves or whatnot and cause that mount to collect and hold fluids.[}:)]
Of course, there's the steering box itself. Power steering fluid? What year Hawk???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

r1lark
07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

I jacked up the back of my Hawk to work on the rear suspension...
Now I have noticed a rather large puddle of oil on my garage
floor under the drivers side near the front. It's a dirty
looking oil, like engine oil (which it is not since I have
clean oil in the engine); it's located nearly under where the
steering/ master cylinder are located. anyone have an idea
what this oil is coming from????? thanks,

What does it smell like? Usually steering box lube has a gear oil-type smell.

How full do you fill your master cylinder? There should be an air space to allow for expansion, etc. Going out on a limb here, but if the m/c was filled to the top, and the cap doesn't make a good seal........could that be brake fluid? Again, the sniff test should tell you.

Does the car have power steering? If so, could the seal on the top of the reservoir be leaking, and some fluid ran out when you jacked up the car? The power steering pump is a bit further forward of the steering box tho......

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

60Lark
07-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Before I rebuilt the engine and power steering pump in my Lark, oil leaking from the timing chain cover and the power stering pump would collect in the cross member then would spill out on the floor when I put it up on jacks [V].

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil
Arnold, Missouri

valleyguy
07-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks much for your help. My car does not have power steering, and the fluid is definitely not brake fluid. Looks and feels just like
dirty motor oil;, which leaves me with the most likely culprit being that it was there all along, and just dumped out when I jacked up the rear of the car. Just as you suggested. That never even occurred to me, and since the car has not been driven or even moved for quite some time, a very likely scenario. Thanks again.