studebaker welting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker welting

I have a 1950 studebaker coupe. The welting needs replaced on the rear fenders. Did the welting come from the factory painted or were they black?

Jeff

Painted.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

So if painted what is the best way to do that. My paint is in good. So would I paint it when back on the car or paint it before I put back.

Comment

Jeff, for good coverage, you'd want to paint it before you put it on. That's the way the factory did it.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

IIRC, it should be the body color...
          If you get a paint sample, you can contact Juliano's Rod Shop up in Connecticut, and they will sell you color matched vinyl welting that is 'spot on' color correct. I highly recommend them.

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studebakerjeff

I have a 1950 studebaker coupe. The welting needs replaced on the rear fenders. Did the welting come from the factory painted or were they black?

Jeff

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
          Brooklet, Georgia
          '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
          '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
          '61 Hawk (project)
          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for all the help. My studebaker was repainted and the color is a shade off from the org. color. I going to paint it before I install it, but was concerned the paint would crack when I curved it around the fender.

Jeff

Comment

It will crack when you bend it....unless you add a flex agent to your paint. Ask your paint shop guy for the additive you use when you paint Endura (flexible) bumpers.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studebakerjeff

Thanks for all the help. My studebaker was repainted and the color is a shade off from the org. color. I going to paint it before I install it, but was concerned the paint would crack when I curved it around the fender.

Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I got my latest Hemmings and shows a 1951 studebaker with black welting.If I paint it the color of the car, it would be best to paint it after I install it on the car, because working with it after I paint it would damage it. So is it so wrong to leave it black, and how would it be judged. What would most of you do. (Paint is a shade off)

Jeff

Comment

Repaint the car black and leave the welting unpainted. that way it will match. <G>

Randy_G

Comment

Black cars had unpainted black welt, the rest were painted body color while the attached to the car.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert-63
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

This topic was covered years ago in TW. In that article there was a picture of a car coming from the paint booth and the rear fenders were on the car with the welt, but the fenders were not bolted tight which allowed the paint to get onto the bead of the welt.

When I had a Plaza Gray 51 and took the old welt out only the top 1/4 of the welt was painted body color.

Comment

Working...
                      X