This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .20/20 ?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 289 crankshaft thats already been turned .10/.10 but will need to be turned again to be usable. Is there any problem with this on a Studebaker crankshaft? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Darryl,
    Do you know how much it will take to clean it up? That's the important part. I don't think you can go more than 30 over. FFT, (food for thought) If you needed it done again somewhere down the road, you may not have enough left for another clean-up. Just a thought
    Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Two things -

1. The shop doing the work is reputable?
      2. Bearings available?

If those two are a yes...no problems with the .030" under. Though I probably wouldn't go any further thAn .030".

Mike

Comment

Std thru .030 are readily available. I don't know that I've ever SEEN .040 or larger for a Stude V8.
        But .030 is OK.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A not too rough .010/.010" 289 crank is a find, grab it if it isn't more than $100-150. You can do a number of things to it, turn it to 20/20 and if it won't clean up there you can have it hard chromed. Build it back up to Std. and have it reground. I have tried to have 30/30 cranks chromed and it is too much to build the chrome gets holes in it.

Comment

Working...
          X