PDA

View Full Version : defroster motot

mdelapp
07-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I have a 53 commander hardtop and a defroster motor and core that I may install. The motor is 6V ( I assume as there is no name plate-it runs at 6v and faster at 12)and the car has been converted to 12 volt. Can I just put in a resistor in the line feeding the motor to bring that line to 6V?
thanks to you great experts out there helping a new guy
Mike D

Mike DeLapp

bondobilly
07-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I remember at York a good many years ago, some guy bought a NOS defroster motor. when he was outside in the car corral somebody started in on him. That some of the sqirrel cages run clock wise and other run ccounter clockwise. The fellow said that it is DC motor, so by reversing the wires would change that. That got into a discussion of the angle of the blades. Then it got to the fact that it was a 12V and if he installed it in a 6V negative gnd it would cause more problems.

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell...... aka as a tow truck queen

Roscomacaw
07-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Mike, that IS an option, but a crude one. You can get a 12 volt unit that will bolt right up and look for all the world like the 6volt one.;) Any 56-thru 62 Hawk would yield one. :D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

mdelapp
07-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have to get used to looking only at 53 model year stuff. Found the motor is $100 . would like to et by with a voltage reducer to minimize cost, but if not will put it on the later to do list
Mike

Mike DeLapp

Dick Steinkamp
07-15-2006, 09:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

Thanks for the tip. I have to get used to looking only at 53 model year stuff. Found the motor is $100 . would like to et by with a voltage reducer to minimize cost, but if not will put it on the later to do list
Mike

Mike DeLapp

There might be cheaper reducers, but one from Ron Francis is $64

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

I'd guess you could buy at least 6 good used 12V defroster motors for this amount.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

gordr
07-15-2006, 11:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

Mike

Mike DeLapp

Mike,

Check with Bob Reining in Delano, MN. He and I partnered on a slew of Stude parts, and I think there may be a 12 volt defroster and blower motor in there. Send me an e-mail, and I'll give you his e-mail address. I'm sure that you can do MUCH better than $100 for that motor. Incidentally, you will need a switch, too, since the dropping resistor for low speed is part of the switch, and the resistor for the six volt motor will have practically no effect in slowing the 12 volt motor.

If Bob can't help you, I know I have a couple. But I'd rather work with Bob to sell that inventory first.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands