PDA

View Full Version : avanti tear up

steve kuiper
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
my avanti is not running right and i'm worried the engine may get dammaged.
it all beagan one year ago, when the car started clanking and clatering. solution- a new flex-plate. the original was torn in a circle around crank. car ran good.
last fall starter drive went.
solution- new drive. however,the new drive pinged and clanged when the engine started. mechanic was sure it would wear in after a few starts.
this spring. starter clanging grew worse. also car vibrated horribly between 1000-2000 rpm when in drive. it did not want to idel in drive either. ideled o.k. in park. solution rebuilt starter motor, and new plugs, set timing,check points. checked fluid levels. starter still clangs, car still runs rough at low speeds and especillly under moderate load. it feels like i'm pulling a tractor pull sled.
the transmiision still shifts in drive. everything has been rebuilt on this car over the last 10 years. it had been running pretty well prior to one year ago. i think these problems are all related to something. i"m just unsure of what it could be? could something be out of allignment?
thanks steve

N8N
07-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Are both the engine block and bellhousing original to the car? If not, have they been dial indicated to each other?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
07-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I think we could almost ASSUME this bellhousing and engine didn't start life together and whoever PUT THEM together either didn't have a clue about alignment or didn't care.:(
Could also explain the starter misalignment. Heck, maybe there's NO alignment pins at all! This could also cause the vibration you're talking about.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Mike Van Veghten
07-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Another thing to check is the crank end play. I have seen'em (the clearance) grow after a few miles. Could be the crank is moving back and forth.

Hopefully NOT though!

Mike

ROADRACELARK
07-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Rough idle and/or rough at low speed, low on power could be a vacuum leak or mis-adjusted valves, or worse yet a burnt valve.:( Sorry.
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

wagone
07-14-2006, 04:05 PM
And................road racing is the ONLY form of racing worth a pinch of powder. And by ROAD RACING I don't mean NASCAR. Can ANYONE believe in an organization that bills itself STOCK CAR and yet I'll be willing to bet that NOT EVEN the AIR in the tires is the same as that used in production cars!:(:(:(:(:(
wagone and the R2 Avanti

studegary
07-14-2006, 05:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by wagone

And................road racing is the ONLY form of racing worth a pinch of powder. And by ROAD RACING I don't mean NASCAR. Can ANYONE believe in an organization that bills itself STOCK CAR and yet I'll be willing to bet that NOT EVEN the AIR in the tires is the same as that used in production cars!:(:(:(:(:(
wagone and the R2 Avanti

You would win that bet because they no longer use air in NASCAR tires, even though the reporters keep talking about air pressure. They use straight nitrogen in the tires.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

ROADRACELARK
07-14-2006, 05:52 PM
They also use it to power their air tools in the pits.(that's paddock in road racing terms.);)
Dan

Roscomacaw
07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Coming out of Costco this afternoon, I noticed a banner that proudly proclaimed they fill new tires with nitrogen! Geez, now I gotta keep a bottle of nitrogen around to top off my tires???:(

NASCAR =

Not
Any
Sorta
Car
Available
Retail

[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

JBOYLE
07-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I believe nitrogen was first used in tires by the Air Force in the special tires (they look silver) used on the Mach 3 SR-71 recon plane. Regular air would have burst the tires at the high temperatures generated by the plane.
There was nothing "simple about that plane.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

imported_n/a
07-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah Nascar Stock Cars! They seem to steer away from calling it anything but just NASCAR, anymore. And the other irony--using facsimile bodies of V6-powered, fuel injected, FWD production cars on V8,carbureted, RWD race cars. I have heard comments even around here that they should start bulding NASCAR racers based upon PRODUCTION chassis's again. Sure--it might not be 180 mph racing, but the fans probably wouldn't know the difference, if they "only" went 150. But, they would be rooting for real-world cars that they could relate to, and that would make a difference! Now, as far as Studebakers--how is it that you dial in an automatic trans with the engine block? We've heard about the procedure for stick--

ROADRACELARK
07-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Very detailed instructions with pictures in the shop manusll:)
Dan

N8N
07-15-2006, 07:38 AM
It's the same procedure. as opposed to some inferior makes :) the trans and bellhousing are separate.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

steve kuiper
07-15-2006, 05:27 PM
there's no pins in belhousing. motor and trany were together originally. so i think we're on to something. my new (young) mechanic is carefully reading the shop manual(that's very rare). he's wondering if he needs a special tool to center torque converter to crankshaft. or check crank run out. i've only driven the car a little with this condition(20 miles). should i look at other parts for damage? torque conv. flexplate ect?
thanks, steve

N8N
07-15-2006, 05:46 PM
If there are no pins in the bellhousing, that's likely your problem. Get some hardened 11/32" steel shaft, cut yourself some dowel pins from it (the factory pins are no longer available) and reassemble the bellhousing to the engine. Go ahead and check it with the dial indicator just in case. If they are both really original, it should be either within spec or very close to it. If not, the factory oversize dowels are available from SASCO or just repeat the exercise with some 3/8" hardened shaft. Once you have the bellhousing bumped over to where it is in spec, just ream the holes to 3/8" and put your new oversize pins in and you should be good to go.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

studegary
07-15-2006, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by steve kuiper

there's no pins in belhousing. motor and trany were together originally. so i think we're on to something. my new (young) mechanic is carefully reading the shop manual(that's very rare). he's wondering if he needs a special tool to center torque converter to crankshaft. or check crank run out. i've only driven the car a little with this condition(20 miles). should i look at other parts for damage? torque conv. flexplate ect?
thanks, steve

If you find that your bellhousing alignment is off, which it probably is, running with it bolted together without pins, I would recommend a new flex plate when you put everything back together properly.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)