PDA

View Full Version : bezel screws

Michidan
07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Anyone ever switch the screws holding parts like headlight / taillight bezels from phillips head over to something a little more theft proof, like torx or something?
Just got these back from the chrome shop. Car has been dis-assembled for 9 years, and I have let a lot of the fasteners wander off. Need a good source for automotive type chrome screws.

Dan
52 hardtop

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Here's a good source. Click on thier catalog;)

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Walt Zander
07-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Amazing the opportune time for this source to surface !!
Dovetails right into my schedule...Thanks Bob, for nipping my search down to nothing.:D

'49 Champion Starlight Coupe
1936 Miller Replica/ Stude driveline
Fond du Lac,Wisconsin

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Glad to help! Good folks to deal with. I've used them for over 20 years now.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

garyash
07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
For automotive chrome and stainless screws, nuts, and bolts of all types, try this:
http://www.gardner-westcott.com

A number of the street rod suppliers carry the stuff in stock.

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

gordr
07-14-2006, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Anyone ever switch the screws holding parts like headlight / taillight bezels from phillips head over to something a little more theft proof, like torx or something?
Just got these back from the chrome shop. Car has been dis-assembled for 9 years, and I have let a lot of the fasteners wander off. Need a good source for automotive type chrome screws.

Dan
52 hardtop

Torx screws on a Studebaker? Oh, the humanity! (covers eyes and whimpers)

Gee, I've been known to replace the Torx on my Suburban with Phillips screws, and I own numerous Torx screwdrivers, too. There just never seems to be one in my hand when I go to change a tail light bulb, that's all.

Seriously, though, if you want to use Torx screws, they are available. Perhaps McMaster-Carr would have them, in stainless, too. I really doubt they'd be very effective as a theft deterrent. You can buy actual security screws, too.

If you are in the USA, use Robertson screws (square socket). Scarcely anyone in the USA aside from wooden boat and furniture builders has ever seen one. Made in Canada, eh?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Michidan
07-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Yea, anything but phillips would work. I realize I'm being over the top paranoid about it, and that nothing is fool proof. But I just got these bezels back from the chrome shop - and man it was expensive!!

It's worth a couple bucks for some screws that might slow a vandal down a minute I guess.

Dan
52 hardtop

Roscomacaw
07-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I've got some Tri-Star driver tips from my aviation days. Might be fitting, given Studebaker's short embracement of the tri-star emblem!
Of course, finding the screws might prove a task. Ones you could use with your fresh chrome anyway.

Dan, did this shop do really nice work on your pot metal stuff? If so, who was it?:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Michidan
07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I went with J&P custom plating, Portland, IN.
www.jpcustomplating.com

Yea, they did good. They have 5 levels of plating, I went with mid level (super street). These were typical 52 Stude parts from a car that never moved for 20 years. Pretty crappy. On one tail light bezel there are some little bumps in the finish. Outward pointies, not inward like a pit. Not sure why.
I figured with their decription of the super street chrome level I couldn't complain too much.

I have not gone elsewhere for price comparison, as i said this was $$. But they did a nice job.

Dan
52 hardtop