PDA

View Full Version : original radio

alex_510042
07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi I have a 1952 studebaker champion and my original radio stopped working it burns out the fuse i keep putting a new one, it works for a while but then it burns out the fuse again. While it works it doesnt get any radio station i dont know if its the antenna or the radio can anybody help me?

gordr
07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by alex_510042

Hi I have a 1952 studebaker champion and my original radio stopped working it burns out the fuse i keep putting a new one, it works for a while but then it burns out the fuse again. While it works it doesnt get any radio station i dont know if its the antenna or the radio can anybody help me?

Probably the vibrator is stuck, which in turn is likely due to a leaky buffer capacitor.

You need to have the radio restored/reconditioned. By now, you can expect that nearly ALL the old waxed paper and electrolytic capacitors in the set have become leaky or failed outright.

You could do the work yourself, if you are handy, and willing to work in cramped quarters (inside the set). They actually aren't THAT cramped, but you may find you have to remove several layers of other components to replace a given bad one. The good news is that modern replacement parts are available, and they are cheap. Even tubes are quite plentiful and cheap. The costly stuff will be the dial face and knobs, if required. If you think you want to tackle the repair yourself, send me an e-mail off-forum, and I'll provide you with a list of links to antique radio resources on the 'net. I'll not post them here, as I think it's getting a bit off-topic for the forum, and might also be construed as stepping on the toes of the radio restorers who PAY for ads in TW. In any case, I'd recommend a D-I-Y radio repair only to those who already inclined in that direction, and who have a good basic knowledge of electrical troubleshooting.

Check the classifieds in Turning Wheels. I believe there is at least one radio restorer who runs ads there periodically, and who has a good rep amongst Stude fans.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

starlightchamp
07-12-2006, 11:07 PM
The radio in a 52 Stude is a tube type and uses a vibrator to chop the -6 volt
DC into AC so the voltage can be transformed up to +250 volts for the
tube plate voltage. Typically the radio draws up tp 8 amps of current. Likely your
vibrator points are stuck and drawing too much currrent -so blown fuse. I have
reapaired a half dozen 50-52 radios just for fun. Plus the one in my 50. You can get
a solid state vibrator to replace the bad can type one , but frankly you need a classic
radio repairman because the +1300 volt buffer capacitor across the Trans. secondary should also be replaced and likely all the filter and coupling capacitors are also shorted or leaky. There are several on the web that do this work. Just search for classic or antique radio repair-won't be cheap.

1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA

stephenm
07-13-2006, 10:36 AM
For future reference, if your radio is working...be sure to use it regularly...those older capacitors will keep working if they're put to work, but leak and quit if not...

'51 Business Coupe

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Starlightchamp, would you like a few radios to play with?[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

imported_n/a
07-13-2006, 07:45 PM
While we're on this topic, does anyone have something they could add about the signal-seeking radio that a 58 came with? How troublesome is this feature?

starlightchamp
07-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Mr.Biggs

I have resurrected five 1949-51 Studebaker radios. One is in my Starlight, another done for a friend's 50 Business coupe and three sitting on th shelf after renovation. Two are Philco S5123 and one is S4923. All have had their vibrators, buffer cap, electrolytic filter caps, and coupling capacitors replaced. Problem is finding caps that are rated in the 400to 600 volt range. I found a place in Canada that sells these. Speaker also hard to find as replacements because they are 3.2 Ohms and the magnet must be the right size to fit through the chassis. It was fun challenging my memory on radio repair from Korean War days when I was a radar repairman. I don't want to tackle another-too hard rounding up all the parts. I do have the three with no use, and all now play like new.http://static.flickr.com/62/190203182_3904423d86_m.jpg

1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA