PDA

View Full Version : New brake drums - rear T-Cab

tomnoller
07-12-2006, 05:10 PM
I have a '62 T-Cab and a spiffy new set of wheels that won't fit the rear drums due to the humpy ridge. (The front drums are now disc brakes, so it's not an issue there)
Seems to me this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't take much note at the time because it didn't matter then. I'm presuming they're 11 by 2" drums with the 5 on 5. If'n someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Western Washington, USA

tomnoller
07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
It's a half-ton, BTW. Thanks.

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
07-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Tom, can't remember where I saw it now Stude Truck site maybe, but someone had used a Chev. 1/2 Ton pickup front drum and cut the Stude. hub or the Drum on a lathe to match the center hole size, put all together and it worked fine.
Note that your wheels should be 5 bolt, 4 3/4in. center to center on 3rd. stud from the first. same as Chev. car, 1/2 Ton Truck and small Toyota truck.
Rich.

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

I have a '62 T-Cab and a spiffy new set of wheels that won't fit the rear drums due to the humpy ridge. (The front drums are now disc brakes, so it's not an issue there)
Seems to me this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't take much note at the time because it didn't matter then. I'm presuming they're 11 by 2" drums with the 5 on 5. If'n someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

DilloCrafter
07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
StudeRich said,
quote: Tom, can't remember where I saw it now Stude Truck site maybe, but someone had used a Chev. 1/2 Ton pickup front drum and cut the Stude. hub or the Drum on a lathe to match the center hole size, put all together and it worked fine.

I found it for you. It's one of the pages in the Studebaker Tech Help section at Chuck and Chris Collins' Studebakerparts.com. Look down the page for "Truck Brake Drum Help":

http://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/parts/agora.cgi?page=tech.html

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

tomnoller
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks Guys! I don't see why the 1/2 ton should be that much different than the 3/4 in the wheel dept.

Western Washington, USA

Transtar60
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Tom, can't remember where I saw it now Stude Truck site maybe, but someone had used a Chev. 1/2 Ton pickup front drum and cut the Stude. hub or the Drum on a lathe to match the center hole size, put all together and it worked fine.
Note that your wheels should be 5 bolt, 4 3/4in. center to center on 3rd. stud from the first. same as Chev. car, 1/2 Ton Truck and small Toyota truck.
Rich.

[b]
The Stude 1/2 ton truck bolt pattern is 5 on 5, not 5 on 4 3/4[b/]
As per 8E truck specification book.
[/6]
[quote]Originally posted by tomnoller

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studegary
07-12-2006, 11:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Rich.

[b]
[/6]

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

I think that they all agreed that the wheels/drums are a 5 inch bolt circle. The 4 3/4 inch measurement was bolt to bolt, an abnormal way to spec. wheels/drums.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

StudeRich
07-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Transtar60 and StudeGary; If you've got a tape measure and a 5 lug drum or wheel, what other way to measure is there? I never heard of taking a protractor to the junkyard to measure wheels! LOL:D Rich.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Rich.

[b]
[/6]

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

I think that they all agreed that the wheels/drums are a 5 inch bolt circle. The 4 3/4 inch measurement was bolt to bolt, an abnormal way to spec. wheels/drums.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

TOMB1
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
your locak tire shop may have a plastic fitment tool it's basically a measuring tool specifally for this quest - if you can borrow it great if not - make your own out of even a sheet of paper - just place the paper at the end of your studs and press - instant perfect portable bolt pattern measuring tool

Tom Banish
'48 LandCruiser

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Tom, if your remark was regarding the 3/4ton trucks, there's a vast difference! The Stude 3/4 ton trucks use 8-lug wheels.
The Stude 1/2 truck stud pattern is commonly referred to as "5 on 5" ;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Transtar60
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Studerich I dunno but the Studebaker truck 1/2 ton bolt pattern is 5 on 5.
Chevy passenger car bolt patterns can vary but fullsize are normally 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle.

Dont know what else to say.

tomnoller
07-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Very strange...the 3/4 ton info on Chuck Collins' website definately doesn't work for the 1/2 ton 7E7. The Bendix number given is a 12" drum for 50s thu early 70s Ferd.
We also measured the alleged 5 on 5 Stude hub and it definately is 5 on 4 and 3/4" but the holes on the 5 on 5 wheels I ordered fit the stud pattern. Huh?
Now I'm on a quest for a 1/2 drum that'll work with my Stude hubs for the rear.

Western Washington, USA

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 09:12 PM
But it says that those numbers are for a 3/4ton truck. He didn't GIVE a number for the Chevy drums that he's used on his half ton (Jerry Kaiser). He just said that they were for a '76 model Chevy half ton. You'd have to tell the auto parts place that and let them look up whatever number it is.
Then there's the little matter of having the hubs machined a bit to fit the inner hole of the Chevy drum. (per the photo shown). I think I'm gonna go that route. I searched far and wide for spacers to let my Riviera wheels sit on the Stude drums. I ended up fudging it in the end and tho it's worked for 10 years now, I've never felt real good about it. Jerry's solution would be THE fix in the long run.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
07-14-2006, 03:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
Then there's the little matter of having the hubs machined a bit to fit the inner hole of the Chevy drum. (per the photo shown). I think I'm gonna go that route.
I'm planning to do this, as well. The NAPA guy has 11" Ch*vy brake drums for me (made in Canada or USA, better than what Autozone carries, he says), and he recommended I use a real machine shop to machine the hubs, rather than a place with a brake lathe, which he says are not as accurate as what a machine shop uses.

Oh, and "5 on 5" pattern Ch*vy truck or van wheels from the mid '70s and later will do (you'll need them to clear the Turner disc brakes in front).

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

bams50
07-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Dillo, the letter you can't figure out in Ch*vy is "e"... it's spelled, "Chevy".

No thanks necessary, I'm here to help.

:D

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Roscomacaw
07-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey! Maybe you can help me as well. There's some brand of auto out of the Detroit area. It's F*rd, er somethin' like that. Probably a vowel in place of that asterisk, but I'm not sure.[|)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeblu
07-14-2006, 10:49 AM
my chevy drum convertion that is on Chucks page is for the 1/2 ton.
5 on 5 bolt pattern use 11" 1/2 ton rear drums for Chevy truck.
They are the same for many years but I always ask for 76 rear drums.
I have done this on 4 Studebaker trucks from 53-63 now and has always worked great. If you have any quetions on this email me at
studeblu@earthlink.net I don't get to the forum very often

Jerry (studeblu)
64 E13 Transtar
53 Coupe
53 2R6 pickup

Roscomacaw
07-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey Jerry - thanks! And come back more often. I know you ain't THAT busy! How about sharin' a pic of that purdy red coupe?[:p]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

bams50
07-14-2006, 10:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Hey! Maybe you can help me as well. There's some brand of auto out of the Detroit area. It's F*rd, er somethin' like that. Probably a vowel in place of that asterisk, but I'm not sure.[|)]

Of course I can help- I am a car expert, after all...

The name you're looking for is, "Foard".

Anything else I can help with, just let me know ;)

Parish, central NY 13131

tomnoller
07-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Should anyone need the numbers, the NAPA numbers for the chebby drum in question (1/2 ton, '62 and earlier rear) is 640-1199 and the cheaper True Stop is 440-1199.
Thanks again for helping me find a solution! I'm slowly gettin' to be an expoit. <G>

Western Washington, USA

Roscomacaw
07-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Tom, what were the prices of the two varieties of drum?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
07-17-2006, 02:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Dillo, the letter you can't figure out in Ch*vy is "e"... it's spelled, "Chevy".

No thanks necessary, I'm here to help.

:D

Parish, central NY 13131

Sorry, Robert. I thought I would offend folks here if I said "Chevy".

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

tomnoller
07-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Bob - The True Stop drums were $44.95 or thereabouts, and the United set would have been $65 or so each. I suppose I could have gotten a similar set cheaper, but these guys at my FLAPS get most of my bidness.

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
07-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Tom; I don't understand... you were told by two posters here to use 70 and later rear Chevy drums, and one person StudeBlu who has actually done it, said to order '76 drums, [:0]why would you order '62 "AND EARLIER" drums???[:0] Just trying to save you a lot of grief! Rich.

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Should anyone need the numbers, the NAPA numbers for the chebby drum in question (1/2 ton, '62 and earlier rear) is 640-1199 and the cheaper True Stop is 440-1199.
Thanks again for helping me find a solution! I'm slowly gettin' to be an expoit. <G>

Western Washington, USA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA