This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Dor

Took the day off yesterday and drove the Hawk out to Cape Dor,theres no way I could get her in the picturs because you have to walk a mile from the parking lot to see this,and it ain't exactly easy walking either. This is Nova Scotias coastal scenery at its best. Samual Champlain named it Cape Dor,which means"Cape gold",or something close. What old Sammy thought was gold on the cliffs turned out to be copper,and there was a copper mine set up here in the late 1800's, but it proved to be to difficult to mine in such rugged country,so by 1901 it was all torn down.Not exactly on topic,but I thought you might enjoy,and we did get there in a Studebaker,if I had a 10k paint job I sure wouldn't have driven her down the 10 mile gravel road either.

Transstar56
    How are the roads, and motels out there? I will be somewhere in that area within the next 2 weeks on M/C.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    42 Champ Coupe
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

The roads range from bad to terrible,with the odd piece of new pavement thrown in. Ive never actually stayed at any of the motels around here,I expect theres good ones and bad too. GF and I stayed at one in Annapolis Royal a few weekends back on our trip around the western end of the province on the Hog,100+tax for a medicore room.
      The countrys worth it though,have you been around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton?
      By the way ,Diane and I have driven the Harley right to the parking lot at Cape Dor last year,its a windy,steep,loose gravel road. We waited for our pals on two other motorcycles to show up,and afterr a half hour or so they didn't. Went back to find them and they couldn't make the steep grades in the washed out loose gravel,spun out,got sideways,etc. But if your an experienced rider on a proper motorcycle,you won't have any problems.

Comment

Id like to get together with you for a ride and talk Studebakers,but were going to be in Newfoundland in even more remote country from July 15-Aug 1st. If you come here though,don't leave without doing the Cabot trail,awesome mountains that drop right into the sea.Good tight sweepers you can really lean into,but be carefull,its unforgiving,theres always a few wrecks every summer,one so far this year. Guy on a rice rocket got run off the road by a freaked out car driver who took up both lanes. The dudes OK though.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Our schedule is real lose. Last year we started for the east coast but ended up watching the hot rods run at El Marige Cal. Experianced riders that just like to ride.
          Klif

55 Speedster
          42 Champ Coupe
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
          X