This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHEEL BOLT PATTERN? help

just joined the family and bought a 48 land cruiser. bleeding brakes and found 5x5 Chevy bolt pattern on front - popped the rear caps off and found four lug drums that definetly appear to be studebaker but i don't know which end has been, shall we say adapted (drivers side left hand thread) where can i get the rear drum tool and $?

four lug wheels were champion only, sounds like your car received an ill advised rear axle transplant at some point in time. Look for a rear axle from a Commander or Land Cruiser, and if you car has OD try to get one from an OD donor car, likewise with automatic (the ratios are very different between the two although the rear ends are otherwise identical)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

my car has three speed w/ OD and it does work, so your advise would be to find a commander rear that had a manual trans and od - how small of a needle and how big of a hay stack ? - like i said i've now been a proud owner of a studebaker for almost 24 hours any idea on the gear ratio difference between the champion rear and what it should be? the speedo works but with this new knowledge i don't know how accurate it is

Comment

welll... I'm really the wrong person to be answering your specific questions, as most of my experience is with later model Studebakers, but I am guessing (and this is just a guess) that what you want to be looking for would be a rear end in the 4.11:1 to 4.55:1 range. You may be able to see what the ratio is on your current rear end if the tag is still present under one of the cover bolts. Otherwise you probably need to jack the rear end up on one side only and turn a rear wheel, count how many turns it takes to make the driveshaft turn one full revolution and divide by two to get your exact axle ratio.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for for the commander rear end (was it a model 41 in '48? or had they started using the 44 by then?) but I would keep an eye out for one simply because the 4-lug rims are notorious for cracking. If yours are still good you might be able to sell them to someone restoring a Champion to cover some of your costs. I'd try to find one complete drum to drum if you can, although given the age of the parts you will of course want to rebuild the brakes and probably at least replace the axle seals and inspect the bearings. I'm not sure exactly what year range you're looking for, but I do know that the later (at least from '55 on up) rear ends were wider, and also used a Ford/MoPar bolt pattern, so those wouldn't help you any, you're looking for something around the same age as your car.

I am guessing that an OD rear will actually be easier to find, but again that is just a guess.

BTW try Fairborn Studebaker for the tapered axle hub puller; they bought out Ted Harbit's parts business and I know Ted used to sell them. (I see you've been dong your research, good for you for asking now before you tried to take the drums off the wrong way!)

How's the rest of the car? got pics? just curious to see what you're working on.

good luck,

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I had a '50 Land Cruiser, not sure if they were the same as ,48, but I'd guess they were. It had the 3spd OD transmission, and a 4.54:1 rear axle.

Interesting ID you've got there.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '60 Lark VI
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All three Indiana built cars

Comment

trying to do as much homework as i can - rather spend time than money and your help is greatly appriciated as far as pics go i do have a few but don't know how to post them i didn't notice any cracks on the rear rims but now that i know ther're prone to cracks i'll check more guess that explains 2 spares in the trunk Yep, 1 four lug and 1 five lug Any other "to look for's" or "to look out for's" Tom Banish '48 landcruiser

Comment

Where are you located? There are a lot of those rear ends here in Mn.
              The right and left lug nuts are correct.
              Klif

55 Speedster
              42 Champ Coupe
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

sorry new to forums as well and just updated my profile sw FL

Tom Banish
                '48 LandCruiser

Comment

TOMB1 - welcome to the forum. you might want to check with Stephen Allen, one of our SDC vendors, located in Newberry Florida (352) 472-9369, if you haven't already joined SDC, you need to, the monthly TW mag. which has numerous advertising vendors as well as individual classified ads, plus an abundance of useful information, will justify the yearly dues, but for now you can go to the SDC Home Page and click on the SDC Vendors list, if Stephen Allen can't help you. I know of a couple of possiblities here in Missouri for a rear end, but I am pretty sure you will be able to find the correct rear end closer to you than Missouri. You might hear from someone here on the forum with one. Good Luck

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  51 Champion
                  Phil
                  Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  56 Power Hawk
                  Phil Hendrickson
                  Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Yep , I bet Matt(mbstude) has prob got a host of rearends.Hes located in southern gawja.I bet he could help you.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Should the two above sources be unable to help, ( I got this name from Steven Allen) try Vern Ediger, 316.830.2271. He's somewhere in Kansas, but has a great deal on shipping, and has lots of ca. 1950 Studebakers and parts.

Tom Bredehoft
                      '53 Commander Coupe
                      '60 Lark VI
                      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                      All three Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                      X