PDA

View Full Version : Hill Holder question

55Commander
07-11-2006, 08:55 AM
How does the hill holder work, is it just a hydraulic check valve?
Does it work on level ground or only on a hill?

I was young and stupid and removed mine when I did an engine swap, but the question recently came up and I couldn't answer it.

Roscomacaw
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Yup - just a valve really. When the car's on an incline at all, there's a caged ball that rolls backwards inside the HH unit. This - in combination with you holding the clutch pedal in - effects a blockage to the release of the brake pressure. If the linkage is adjusted right, the pressure blockage is released as your foot come off the clutch pedal. Vrrroooom.......... off you go![:0][:p]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

starlightchamp
07-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Mr.Biggs,
While on the HH topic perhaps you can help me. I have a 50 Champion with hill holder. I had the clutch adjusted and have had trouble setting the HH. Currently, while driving ,the brake pedal comes up high and the brakes drag, I assume this means the cage is not being moved enough to keep the valve from preventing release. I have fiddled with the setting nuts on the threaded operating shft. tried different positions -no luck. I'm thinking of setting it so the bell crank is full to the rear with the clutch not depressed--????
Thanks

1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA

StudeRich
07-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I am NOT Bob, but one thing I have found that happens is the HH gets jammed with gunk inside, causing it to stick. I've been told you can clean it from one end, but DO NOT REMOVE the big brass serrated nut on the other end! Rich.:)

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

Mr.Biggs,
While on the HH topic perhaps you can help me. I have a 50 Champion with hill holder. I had the clutch adjusted and have had trouble setting the HH. Currently, while driving ,the brake pedal comes up high and the brakes drag, I assume this means the cage is not being moved enough to keep the valve from preventing release. I have fiddled with the setting nuts on the threaded operating shft. tried different positions -no luck. I'm thinking of setting it so the bell crank is full to the rear with the clutch not depressed--????
Thanks
1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

starlightchamp
07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Stude Rich,
Thanks for the info regarding gunk. Any idea what procedure is for cleaning the HH?

1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA

Roscomacaw
07-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, you don't wanna try and remove that end piece. What I've done is taken the HH out, flushed it with alcohol, then partially filled it with alcohol and shook it good! Drain it (observing any crud or contaminants the alcohol might have loosened) and then repeating this step until, when draining, it comes out fairly clear. Finish up by blowing out any remaining fluid with an compressed air (don't do this anywhere near anything painted! There might be enough dilute brake fluid to damage painted surfaces!:()
Adjustment's a matter of trial and error so far as getting it to release in concert with the clutch taking hold just right, but it should be do-able with the amount of adjustment available on that threaded rod.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

bondobilly
07-14-2006, 01:11 AM
I learned from experience, do not try and rebuild. Once you take the mother apart, insert the new ball in the track gizmo, and tighten it up, its going to leak. If you think there is crud in it, use some solvent that does not eat rubber or that rubber substitute they used, and clean it by injecting the fluid and draining. Then use lighter fluid, which is a great cleaner, and then alcohl, before putting in system. The adjustment is more of a balancing act than anything else.

On my 47 Coupe, we finally took it off line, and placarded the dash. This car should not be used in San Fransisco.

BG

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell...... aka as a tow truck queen