X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic's of my Studebaker!

I did it! Here ya'll go.

This is some of the parts not all of them. I found the petals so that's one part off my "NEEDS" list.

Leander, Tx

squirrels

Howdy General!

Based on the pics, that's not a '49 you have there. Looks like a '56 thru '59 Transtar, if the hood is in fact the original to the truck. The fill-width rear window is a tip-off to it being later than '53. Also, I seem to remember that "S" graphic in the center of the dash panel as being a late-'50s thing.

Your truck should accomodate the one-piece windshield with a bend in the center. '49-'53 trucks used two flat panes with a divider bar.

Despite it being the proverbial basket case, that truck looks to be really solid and rust-free.

I don't think even the die-hard purists here would give you much static if you were to choose to streetrod that truck, given its evident condition, but if you choose to keep it stock, or at least all-Studebaker, be assured that we will make every effort to help you.

If you can find a grille, or better yet, a data plate, that'd help immensely in narrowing down the year and model. Based on the 5-lug wheels, it's a half-ton.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Howdy General!

Based on the pics, that's not a '49 you have there. Looks like a '56 thru '59 Transtar, if the hood is in fact the original to the truck. The fill-width rear window is a tip-off to it being later than '53. Also, I seem to remember that "S" graphic in the center of the dash panel as being a late-'50s thing.

Your truck should accomodate the one-piece windshield with a bend in the center. '49-'53 trucks used two flat panes with a divider bar.

Despite it being the proverbial basket case, that truck looks to be really solid and rust-free.

I don't think even the die-hard purists here would give you much static if you were to choose to streetrod that truck, given its evident condition, but if you choose to keep it stock, or at least all-Studebaker, be assured that we will make every effort to help you.

If you can find a grille, or better yet, a data plate, that'd help immensely in narrowing down the year and model. Based on the 5-lug wheels, it's a half-ton.

Gord, I agree with your comments including possibly rodding the vehicle. It looks like the ID tag is missing from the side of the seat box so who knows exactly what it is/was.
      One exception, I remember my 1949 2R5 had the raised "S" on the dash. It stuck with me because I kept resisting the urge to paint it cream or tan to match the rest of the accent colors on the truck. The "S" was body color.

Lark Parker
      aka Trim Trader
      Frankfort IN
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I think it's a '55 body based on the clues I see.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I'm with Dwain here. That dash (with the "panels" toward the center) marks it as an earlier C-cab, while that wide rear window says late C-cab. In other words, a sorta transitional model. And if the hood IS original, a '56. A 1956 Transtar, GC.
          GC, this is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. IF you want, you could easily set a Stude V8 engine in there (the 6s will mount too) with a 3-speed overdrive tranny and have one great truck. One that will have tremendous power at lower speeds and yet be able to cruise economically.
          Where did you say you're at? I've got some mechanical stuff around here.

I will say that whoever was working on this thing (your grandad?), they really stripped it to bare essentials! I can see a gas tank and the center floor panel in that bed full of stuff. You'll probably need stuff alright, but more than that, you'll ned guidance as to what goes where and how![:0]
          What's there tho, looks pretty solid. It's certainly fixable if you're up to the challenge. I also noticed some cacti in one photo. I'm guessin' you're in the SW somewheres, no?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have never had a '56, but I believe the couple of '57's I have have owned were equipped with flat dashes. If the hood is original it is a '56. In his other post the General indicated he is in Leander, Texas. My map shows it to be about 20 miles northwest of Austin, should be a bunch of folks in that area to help out.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
            1948 M-16 grain truck
            1949 2R16A grain truck
            1949 2R17A fire truck
            1955 E-38 grain truck
            1957 3E-40 flatbed
            1961 6E-28 grain truck
            1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
            1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
            1964 Cruiser
            And various other "treasures"
            Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Yup, 57 was the year of the flat dash face. Also the year that round gages were intro'd.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Although in pieces,what you have looks solid. The nice thing about a project like this is you can build it most anyway you want. These are sharp looking trucks when finished,I like the 56 hood because of the big STUDEBAKER two piece nameplate,you'll need to get re-chromed. Thats another good thing about restoring a truck,very little chrome and no soft interior other than the seat and headliner.
                Have fun!

Comment

I amazed at the knowlege you guys have here. I could tell it was a stude truck. My hat is off to all of you. Also I would love to have one of these old trucks myself...LOL

Randy

Comment

A little OT, I'd love to have one of those hoods that was junk but good in front; I'd cut off the front foot or so, restore it, and make wall art out of it! Sure looks all business! [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yea, about 20 or so miles north/west of Austin.

A friend of mine suggested a Chevy Small Block with a special tranny he has. I'm thinking of taking him up on it.

I'm thinking of making it look original on the out side but up-dating the rest of it, and maybe adding afew of my own personal touches. hehehe

I'm guessing it'll take 4-5 years.

Leander, Tx

squirrels

Comment

You'll regret the chevy engine. They don't get the milage that Studes do and they're more trouble.

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Where would I get a stude engine, and whatabout replacement parts those would be hard to fing too.... wouldn't they?

Leander, Tx

squirrels

Comment

GC, an engine would be EASY to find. A transmission - depending on what kind you wanted, maybe a bit difficult, but do-able for sure.

As to "replacement parts" Man, there's a WEALTH of that stuff. Either in original form (what we call NOS - which stands for New, old stock) OR in reproduced form. LOTS of parts for Stude engines are being repro'd. There's lots of new parts for suspension, brakes (even adaptors to add GM disc brakes), wiring, all the weatherstripping and other rubber parts - upholstery stuff - you name it. There's alot of interest in Studebakers, a BIG and active club and that equates to vendors willing to remake stuff that's in demand.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

And that, Mr Biggs, is why I have Studebakers! Not to mention Grandmum's much ballyhooed '62 [:X]wagon...

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X