X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got no power captain!

Hello all,

This is my first post and my first stude! I would appreciate some pro advice. I'm not a real mechanic but I love pidling with my hawk! Any advice would be great. Here's the low-down:

I'm fixing up a 57 Silverhawk w/289 and 3speed standard w/O.D. The problem I have is no power in 1st gear. It feels like I'm pulling out in 2nd gear or something. It almost stalls. However, when I throw it in reverse it feels like I have enough power to pull a hill. I happen to live at the bottom of a steep hill and I don't want to back up it everytime I want to CRUZE!

Since I've had the car I've made a few modifications I should mention: New Plugs/Wires, NOS Delco Ditributor w/Pertronix Module under the cap, Offenhauser Aluminum Intake, Edelbrock 500cfm Performer Carb, Electric Fuel Pump, and Offenhauser Valve Covers (No Breather).

The fuel system is clean and the timing seems to be dead on. I did have to move the plug wires one space to get the vacuum advance off the firewall. I did not rebuild the engine. It has good compression, doesn't smoke, and sounds grrreat!

I'm thinking maybe vacuum related or fuel pressure maybe but I'm not ruling out timing. Can anyone tell me the correct vacuum setup with the edelbrock carb? I have little time to troubleshoot with three kids running around and it's making me crazy!!! Any ideas? Thanks.

-57 silverhawk

The vacuum line should hook up to the RH port (passenger side) on the Edelbrock carb. You should have vacuum at that port when the throttle is open, and very little, if any, when the throttle is closed.
    Your engine should have good vacuum at idle (readung that at the center,or right port on the carb).
    Keep your diagnosis simple, as this is not a complicated piece of machinery.
    First thing I would check is the shift linkage.
    Sounds almost like you are getting it into third gear instead of first gear. That could be from sloppy bushings, or worn trans mount or engine mount. Just make sure you jack it up and use jackstands to check it out under there...
    Just thinkin' out loud....
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by atomicjo

Hello all,

This is my first post and my first stude! I would appreciate some pro advice. I'm not a real mechanic but I love pidling with my hawk! Any advice would be great. Here's the low-down:

I'm fixing up a 57 Silverhawk w/289 and 3speed standard w/O.D. The problem I have is no power in 1st gear. It feels like I'm pulling out in 2nd gear or something. It almost stalls. However, when I throw it in reverse it feels like I have enough power to pull a hill. I happen to live at the bottom of a steep hill and I don't want to back up it everytime I want to CRUZE!

Since I've had the car I've made a few modifications I should mention: New Plugs/Wires, NOS Delco Ditributor w/Pertronix Module under the cap, Offenhauser Aluminum Intake, Edelbrock 500cfm Performer Carb, Electric Fuel Pump, and Offenhauser Valve Covers (No Breather).

The fuel system is clean and the timing seems to be dead on. I did have to move the plug wires one space to get the vacuum advance off the firewall. I did not rebuild the engine. It has good compression, doesn't smoke, and sounds grrreat!

I'm thinking maybe vacuum related or fuel pressure maybe but I'm not ruling out timing. Can anyone tell me the correct vacuum setup with the edelbrock carb? I have little time to troubleshoot with three kids running around and it's making me crazy!!! Any ideas? Thanks.

-57 silverhawk
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks, I'll check the linkage today, by the way I believe you ported my intake. Great job. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get home this evening. Also, is there supposed to be a PCV hookup on the 57 hawk? IN LEARNING AS I GO! Thanks again.

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

The vacuum line should hook up to the RH port (passenger side) on the Edelbrock carb. You should have vacuum at that port when the throttle is open, and very little, if any, when the throttle is closed.
      Your engine should have good vacuum at idle (readung that at the center,or right port on the carb).
      Keep your diagnosis simple, as this is not a complicated piece of machinery.
      First thing I would check is the shift linkage.
      Sounds almost like you are getting it into third gear instead of first gear. That could be from sloppy bushings, or worn trans mont or engine mount. Just make sure you jack it up and use jackstands to check it out under there...
      Just thinkin' out loud....
      Jeff[8D]

Hello all,

-57 silverhawk
      -57 silverhawk

Comment

No pcv in '57.. Just a road draft tube.
        Question...
        Did you still have the heat riser in the RHS exhaust manifold?
        Is it working freely? (or blocked open, or gutted, or removed)?
        If that is blocked closed it can cause an off idle stumble, but you can feel that in reverse, too..
        Jeff[8D]

Thanks, I'll check the linkage today, by the way I believe you ported my intake. Great job. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get home this evening. Also, is there supposed to be a PCV hookup on the 57 hawk? IN LEARNING AS I GO! Thanks again.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Geez - I'm with Jeff here. Sounds like you're nursing it off in 3rd! 1st is a bit lower than reverse so it should pull away smartly in 1st. Startin' off in Reverse every time would grow old in a hurry.[xx(] And then there's that hill.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

WOW![:0]
            I'll bet that DOES feel strange. Imagine....3rd...2nd...3rd, well I guess if it has a 4:88 rear axel that could happen.[?] I'm with Mr Biggs, check that shift linkage.
            Dan

Comment

A question to the more knowledgeable: could there be a problem with the OD and the car is starting in 1st OD? I ran my Champ with a switch instead of a governor for a while and would sometimes forget to switch it off and would start out in 1st OD. I don't know if it is possible to fail in the always on mode.

Don Wilson
              53 Commander Hardtop
              64 Champ 1/2 ton
              Centralia, WA
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ddub

A question to the more knowledgeable: could there be a problem with the OD and the car is starting in 1st OD? I ran my Champ with a switch instead of a governor for a while and would sometimes forget to switch it off and would start out in 1st OD. I don't know if it is possible to fail in the always on mode.

Don Wilson
                53 Commander Hardtop
                64 Champ 1/2 ton
                Centralia, WA
                Don,
                If the OD failed "on" either jo would have no reverse, or there would be expensive crunchy sounds coming from the transmission. I'd go with the "starting in third" idea for now. An easy way to check would be to try starting in second. If it pulls away better in second than in first, that'd be pretty solid evidence in favor of that theory. If he then threw a shift to "first" and it went in smoothly and continued to accelerate, that'd clinch it, IMHO. Since first gear is non-synchro, it would normally grind like the dickens if you tried shifting into it while rolling.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gordr,
                  IICRC, when the car is "freewheeling" at a low speed (5-10mph) you can shift into a low without it grinding, right?[?], or mabe my memory is failing. I had a 53'K champ,OD when I was in high school (LONG ago ) and remembered being able to do that. If the OD handle was pulled out, meaning the OD was disengaged, sure, it would grind like crazy if you didn't double-clutch it. Oh, those were the days!
                  Dan

Comment

WOW thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out! There aren't many studes on the road here in southern WV. I really appreciate the advice.

OK if I'm looking at it right, the linkage seems to be ok. On the side of the tranny 1st/Reverse share the rear lever and 2nd/3rd share the front lever right? Going from reverse to 1st the rear lever moves about a 1/4 turn and there is a nice "click". When I go to 2nd the front lever moves about 1/4 turn with a solid "click" as well. Going on to 3rd and the front lever moves likewise.

Initially when I go into 1st or reverse from neutral it will grind. I usually have to throw it in 2nd for sync then shift to 1st/reverse. Is this correct or could this be OD related?

The vacuum line is hooked up correctly on the carb's passenger side port and the PCV port is plugged on the back of the carb. All other ports are plugged as well.

Jeff the heat riser is open and should be ok. I'm going to take it out all together this weekend. Good call though, I didn't think of that. That's why you can get up the hill!
                    Thank you all! Still working on the pictures...

-57 silverhawk

Comment

Working...
                    X