PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix and Overdrive?

StudeRich
07-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Here's one question I have been wondering: Maybe Ted or someone who has asked about, or tried to do this will know. What's going to happen if we install one of these Pertronix Units on an O.D. car? When the upshift speed is reached the points/ignitor is shorted to ground !! That does not sound too healthy for an electronic unit!

Also, I have one of the #1187LSCC units on my AUTOMATIC TRANS. '59 Lark 259 V-8 with early Delco Dist. it works OK. I did however try tuning it yesterday, set the timing to 5 degrees BTDC, checked the Dwell and found only 24 degrees, with Vac.Adv. disconnected! On a points type dist. that would be way too wide a gap, should be 28-32. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED? Rich.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Roscomacaw
07-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Rich, I don't know (technically) what happens, but I can tell you that my Transtar's been humming along nicely with it's Pretronix implant and it's original 3spd OD setup.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DEEPNHOCK
07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Dwell always reads funky with an electronic ignition.
Just ignore it.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Here's one question I have been wondering: Maybe Ted or someone who has asked about, or tried to do this will know. What's going to happen if we install one of these Pertronix Units on an O.D. car? When the upshift speed is reached the points/ignitor is shorted to ground !! That does not sound too healthy for an electronic unit!

Also, I have one of the #1187LSCC units on my AUTOMATIC TRANS. '59 Lark 259 V-8 with early Delco Dist. it works OK. I did however try tuning it yesterday, set the timing to 5 degrees BTDC, checked the Dwell and found only 24 degrees, with Vac.Adv. disconnected! On a points type dist. that would be way too wide a gap, should be 28-32. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED? Rich.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

garyash
07-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I asked Pertronix the same question when I put an Ignitor unit in my 1948 M5. I got a 6 volt, positive ground unit from Bill Cathcart for the Champ 6 engine. Pertronix sent me a wiring diagram they worked out for the Packards with overdrive.

Depending on the vintage of your overdrive and the type of relay and solenoid you have, the exact wiring may differ. On my old-style T86-1D transmission, there is only the solenoid switch, no governor, no lockout switch. Pertronix shows adding a 7 ohm, 5 watt resistor to the circuit to limit the current draw through the Ignitor when the hot side of the coil is momentarily shorted. I found an 8 ohm, 20 watt wire-wound resistor in a ceramic package at Radio Shack for $2.29. I took a 1" wide strip of thin sheet metal, bent it around three sides of the resistor and left two tabs sticking out so that I could screw it to the firewall. It works great. It ought to be about the same for the 12 volt, negative ground unit, but you can always email Pertronix on their web site or call them.
http://www.studegarage.com/images/other/pertronix_overdrive_wiring.gif

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com