PDA

View Full Version : Speedster Rear Springs

motive
07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
My Speedster sags just a little on the left side (front and rear). I noticed that there is a cylindrical rubber spacer bolted between the rear spring leaves just forward of the rear spring shackle on each side. They are old and somewhat deformed in shape, and appear to be stock. I looked in the '55 Shop Manual and see no mention of these. I do not yet have a chassis manual, so does anyone know anything about these spacers, if they are stock, and if there are available replacements?

Thanks,
Mike with Speedster

55Commander
07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't have an answer for you on the spacers but I also had one
side sagging a little in the back on my 55 Commander Coupe.

When I replacee the shackle bushings they were wasted and oval.
With all new bushings things leveled out again.

klifton1
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
To start with. The cylinderical rubber spacers should not be there.
Are the springs tired ? The car is 50 years old and they could be orig.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

64V-K7
07-11-2006, 08:11 AM
If your car is noticibly sagging, it would be prudent to immediately add either helper leaves to the springs or replace them entirely. You can be experiencing damage to your rear sway bar, where the armor on the E-brake cable may be sawing through it, due to the body settling.
Adding a helper leaf, cut from a donor pack, is the easiest, although it is a little labor intensive.
Ray Ficthorn sent me a pack of 4 leaves and I serviced 2 cars with them. Excellent remedy..

BobJ
55 President State
64 GT Hawk
70 Avanti

Roscomacaw
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
The spacers aren't a factory item. Just an after-market band-aid fix. What do the bushings look like at the rear of the springs? Are they in good shape or is the rubber in them gone?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

motive
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
The car is not noticeably sagging at the rear, just a little low on the left side fornt and rear. I haven't yet looked at the bushings, but my guess is that they are probably shot. If I remove the rubber spacers can the leaves be re-arched, or must they be replaced? There is a local shop in Denver that can re-arch the leaves, but how would they know the specs?

Thanks for your help and advice. Mike with Speedster.

Roscomacaw
07-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes, they can be re-arched. I'll bet they have reference sources to do it too.;) Fact is, I think I have some specs here. I'd hafta hunt for them.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ROADRACELARK
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Also check to see if anyone changed the rear leaf spring on the left and reinstalled the front mounting bolt in the wrong hole. The drivers side rear spring front mount goes in the LOWER hole. The passenger side goes in the UPPER hole. I believe the factory did this to compensate for driver weight. Also, check carefully for broken leaves...you may have one and not know it[:0]. Hope this helps
Dan

motive
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks again Dan, Biggs, BobJ, and Klif. I'll investigate further this evening.

Mike with Speedster

motive
07-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Checked out the rear springs a little more closely tonite. Looks like 4 leaves, bushings look old but intact, rubber spacers on front and rear bolted through bottom leave with square u-bolt holding upper and lower leaves tight with rubber spacer tight in between. If anyone is interested, I can take a couple of pictures of this set-up. Both left and right front spring mounts on lower bolt holes. No sway bar, but brackets with hole xtending downward at each axle mount that look like a sway bar could be mounted from them. Springs look old and tired, kind of flat looking with some separation, but still have the plastic dividers in between that apparently are intact.

Mike with Speedster

klifton1
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
The holes in the spring mount are for sway bar linkage. The bars can be found on most Pres. sedans. The bushings can be found at S. I..
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

bondobilly
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Has the car under gone any sort of suspension work? I found out, at least on the 56 Hawk, that the two bars in the rear, where the springs end are different for left and right. One side has to be a bit shy of 3/4 longer than the other.

Stan Goldman pointed out to me that some companies who sell "correct" rear leaf springs are not using the same amount of leaves as the originals. I dont remember which side is which, buut one side gets one more leaf.

My car is propably one of the last 56J's that has the old Classic Enterprises Sub Floor Boxe assemblies under it. Now I have to cut out
one wall of the sub floor box that is under the rear seat to get acsess to the bushings.

Bummer

Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell...... aka as a tow truck queen