PDA

View Full Version : dash colors

mdelapp
07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a 53 Commander hardtop coupe, red bottom, white top and beige vinyl interior. this is not the original colors of coral red and monterey biege. The dash is painted white, steering column and wheel are painted white. I want to repaint the dash and want to make it as "stock" as possible but willing to make it just look better. I believe that the dash should be beige as the interior is to carry the color around. The origianl intruments were a gun metal gray and the horinzontal strip panel behind the round intruments. can anyone provide any interiro photos or suggestions. the horizontal chrome piece with the insturments was rechromed but lost "detail"of switch indentifcation. I have another dash that I might use the horizontal strip (not suitable for re-chroming" and paint. Give me some help on what the original dash background colors were.
I still cant believe how good you guys are at answering.
Hey, by the way I was just in my first car show and won first place inthe 50s stock. Dont have a compelling desire to re-create stock but want to make it look nice. (also looking for a new steering wheel- horn ring is OK)
Thanks again guys.
mike DeLapp

Mike DeLapp

Dwain G.
07-08-2006, 08:15 PM
By chance did they miss the inside of the glove box door?

Dwain G.

Tom B
07-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Inside of all the 53s was Loma Gray. If the car was made in South Bend, check the inside of the trunk.

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All three Indiana built cars

studegary
07-08-2006, 09:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Inside of all the 53s was Loma Gray. If the car was made in South Bend, check the inside of the trunk.

Tom Bredehoft

His car should have Loma Gray for the interior color, but not all '53s were Loma Gray. The Spring Special '53s had Monterey Beige metal trim. Since his car is not a Spring Special, the interior metal trim should be Loma Gray (sort of a mouse color).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

glen
07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Would also have to agree with the "Loma Gray",
as that was the color of choice originally on my
53 Champion, though when David Carter refreshed
the interior, he went with, what might be StudeDave's
favorite color: "Battleship Gray" [8D] or close to it.
Which is alot better...

Glen Brose
Chino Valley, AZ
53 Champion Tudr Sedan

07-09-2006, 09:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I have a 53 Commander hardtop coupe, red bottom, white top and beige vinyl interior. this is not the original colors of coral red and monterey biege. The dash is painted white, steering column and wheel are painted white. I want to repaint the dash and want to make it as "stock" as possible but willing to make it just look better. I believe that the dash should be beige as the interior is to carry the color around. The origianl intruments were a gun metal gray and the horinzontal strip panel behind the round intruments. can anyone provide any interiro photos or suggestions. the horizontal chrome piece with the insturments was rechromed but lost "detail"of switch indentifcation. I have another dash that I might use the horizontal strip (not suitable for re-chroming" and paint. Give me some help on what the original dash background colors were.
Hey, by the way I was just in my first car show and won first place inthe 50s stock. Dont have a compelling desire to re-create stock but want to make it look nice. (also looking for a new steering wheel- horn ring is OK)
Thanks again guys.
mike DeLapp
As mentioned by other posters, for most '53s the correct color is Loma Gray. In the '60s I even wrote Studebaker for the formula and they were unable to furnish it. Then I found by accident that the '61 Lark color, Autumn Haze, is virtually identical (of course Autumn Haze may be hard to find too).
Here is a picture of my '53 Commander Starliner dash.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/53%20dash.jpg

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

mdelapp
07-09-2006, 05:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

By chance did they miss the inside of the glove box door?

Dwain G.
They got it all white so no sign of mouse grey. I have an old instrument panel that is probably the color. WOW!. Not really attractive. I still think I may extend the beighe seat, door panel trim around the dash and continue the instruments the stock color. Thanks a millionn for you help

Mike DeLapp

mdelapp
07-09-2006, 05:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

Thanks again guys.
mike DeLapp
As mentioned by other posters, for most '53s the correct color is Loma Gray. In the '60s I even wrote Studebaker for the formula and they were unable to furnish it. Then I found by accident that the '61 Lark color, Autumn Haze, is virtually identical (of course Autumn Haze may be hard to find too).

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Mike DeLapp

mdelapp
07-09-2006, 05:45 PM
\
Thanks for the photo. Is the inside window trim the same color as the dash? It appears so in your picture. Mine has been chromed. Looks pretty good chromed although the same color carrying around the window might be better. Hmmmmmm, thinking it over
Mike DeLapp

quote:Originally posted by 53k

Thanks again guys.
mike DeLapp

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Mike DeLapp

Jeff_H
07-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I didn't like that pinkish grey either. On my '53 Chamption K I took a small piece of the new grey headliner to the paint store and matched it with some "generic" grey using their paint chip chart for grey shades. Its more of a neutral grey now and also matches the grey part of the 2-tone grey/black door panels and the backs of the front seats. From unfaded bits of the original headliner (inside the seams), the new one is close in color. The original interior grey vinyl never matched the grey metal parts when new I expect. I've crawled through enough '53's in old 'yards to know that loma grey gets more pinkish the more it fades.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

studegary
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Since you are color changing your car to red and white, perhaps you would prefer to go the rest of the way to a Spring Special model with Monterey Beige interior metal trim. Hopefully, you do not have a '53 from the first two-thirds of the model year, but then you do not seem too concerned about originality.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

rockne10
07-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Window garnish moldings front and rear should be the same as the dash, as are the inner edges of the doors around the windows. The visors above the instruments are a darker brownish gray with a gold underside.

I haven't gotten around to painting my interior yet but have had the color on the glovebox scanned. I'll check in the shop tomorrow and share that scan.

Brad
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
And the winner is...

DuPont computer scan of the inside of my glovebox door shows the closest current match to be a 2000 Nissan underhood color Gray-Taupe.
Code M6012K Alternate CF01.

I pulled the DuPont chipsheet and the match is about as perfect as you can get. For the mid-gloss finish, use the M6012JV formula with the 305S flatener. For a nearly flat finish use 304S flatener.

If your paint jobber is not DuPont, they should be able to mix your color from their manufacturer's database.

Brad
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser