This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-barrel adapter for 169?

Anyone know if such an animal exists, or could be machined to fit a stock little 6 (flathead) manifold? 'OCF' Calvin sold me one a few years back but he says Clifford stopped making them. Bill Cathcart hasn't answered my email and something I ordered from Red's Headers, supposedly made my Offy is two months late in arriving...if it exists at all.
    I think my WE Carter has been rebuilt too many times and is ready for the parts box. The motocr*ft two-barrel on another flathead is way better & I'd like to convert the '51, too. Thanks!

Try these guys:

I've never used them, but I have heard good things from people who have!

Comment

Great! Thanks!

Comment

WOW a Brand NEW Carter 2brl. could work on a V-8 if it's got enough CFM's(probably not) but with the adapter it would give those old 169's and maybe 245's the fuel they are missing at higher RPM's![}] What we need to know would be if the "Stovebolt" C***y 6's have the same bolt pattern as the "Skybolt" 6's and earlier Champions! Also if the linkage is reworkable to fit![^] Rich.
        quote:Originally posted by whacker

Try these guys:

I've never used them, but I have heard good things from people who have!
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your car, your choice.

Obviously, anything can be made to fit anything. However, I lived through the days when Honest Charley was selling 2-bbl to 1-bbl adapters. Truth be known, they didn't work that well. After buying the adapter, buying the carb and cobbling up the linkage, fuel line and choke, the adapter has so many restrictions in it, the car was no faster nor got any better fuel mileage. I consulted my local racer/engine expert about how to open up the restrictions. He showed me the formula which proved the 169-185" Stude can't use that much carb CFM anyway, even on a good manifold.

If somebody gave one a new adapter and a new 2-bbl maybe it would be worth a try. Personally, after my experience with the 2-bbl adapter, I swore if it ever came to that, I would spend my money on a pro-rebuilt original 1-bbl carb.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Anyone know if such an animal exists, or could be machined to fit a stock little 6 (flathead) manifold? 'OCF' Calvin sold me one a few years back but he says Clifford stopped making them. Bill Cathcart hasn't answered my email and something I ordered from Red's Headers, supposedly made my Offy is two months late in arriving...if it exists at all.
            I think my WE Carter has been rebuilt too many times and is ready for the parts box. The motocr*ft two-barrel on another flathead is way better & I'd like to convert the '51, too. Thanks!
            I hate to put any more on ol' Jeffster Rice, but he made a beautiful two barrel adapter for a Holley two barrel to bolt right up to the early two barrel, Stude manifold, for me. My thinkin' is the 500 CFM Holley is gonna be as potent on the early "high rise" style 2V intake as the Edelbrock 4 barrel is on the later "low rise" 4 barrel intakes.

Sonny
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

The pictures I have seen of Jeff's work are indeed sano. Agree, the 289" V8 can make use a 500cfm 2bbl to good effect and might indeed breath better than a lower 4-bbl 500cfm. On what is this being run? Am sure someone as knowledgeable as you has already checked hood clearance. Stude went lower to keep it under '53 and later hoods. That funky right-angle Stromberg WW 2-bbl was not just for looks.

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

It's goin' in my '60 Lark Jack. plenty-o-room. I know it has limited application on some Studes, and we thought about that when we were talking about building these adapters. Once again, I hate to throw Jeffster under the bus, but this adapter is so nice, and if it really works, he's gonna be busy, (in addition to all the other goodies he puts out), building them for those of us with room for them.

They aren't gonna work on everything, (although it's only about 3/4 inch thick), but I kept looking at that dang early two barrel manifold, (high, nice straight runners), and was mumbling to myself in front of Jeffster about adapting a 4 barrel to it. Jeff suggested the Holley, and bingo, he had more work to do!

In fact, I think he has pictures of the thing, VERY nice workmanship. It does make the Holley look like it's "floating" above the engine, but the hell with looks, I can tune that two barrel Holley until it sings, it's a nice round 500 CFM, what more could a fella ask for? [^]

I'll let you know how busy Jeffster's gonna be, soon....

Sonny
                Sonny
                http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I put the progressive 2 barrel from Stovebolt on my 170 OHV Studebaker. Hands down the best modification I made. I used the linkage kit and adaptor they also sell. I tryed the stock RBS and stock AS carbs. and had I know how well this setup runs from Stovebolt, I would have smashed them with a hammer years ago. You can't beat the price either, I am a jeep lover and many Jeep vendors sell the same carb. and adaptor for the jeep straight six for 500 bucks vs the 70 bucks from Stovebolt. ( I am in no way linked to Stovebolt, just a happy customer) I can tell you from a seat of the pants perspective, the setup is well worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Sonny..
                    But if it weren't for your stubborn attitude, I never would have gotten around to making them

Here's a link to the Holley 2bbl on an early Stude 2bbl manifold..

As a side note, I have also bored out the throttle bores on this style manifold so you can bolt on a Rochester 2bbl carb. There is a spec class of stock car racers that only allow 2bbl carbs and the racer crowd has the Rochester cranked up to 650 cfm!

Pic's of this style are at:

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

It's goin' in my '60 Lark Jack. plenty-o-room. I know it has limited application on some Studes, and we thought about that when we were talking about building these adapters. Once again, I hate to throw Jeffster under the bus, but this adapter is so nice, and if it really works, he's gonna be busy, (in addition to all the other goodies he puts out), building them for those of us with room for them.

They aren't gonna work on everything, (although it's only about 3/4 inch thick), but I kept looking at that dang early two barrel manifold, (high, nice straight runners), and was mumbling to myself in front of Jeffster about adapting a 4 barrel to it. Jeff suggested the Holley, and bingo, he had more work to do!

In fact, I think he has pictures of the thing, VERY nice workmanship. It does make the Holley look like it's "floating" above the engine, but the hell with looks, I can tune that two barrel Holley until it sings, it's a nice round 500 CFM, what more could a fella ask for? [^]

I'll let you know how busy Jeffster's gonna be, soon....

Sonny
                    DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                    Ocala, FL.
                    '37 Coupe Express
                    '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                    '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds neat!
                      I built an adapter to run a Holley/Weber progeressive 2bbl on an early Stude V8 engine. Because the intake runner planes are separated, it had to be turned 90 degree's.

Some pic's of that are up at:

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rwirtzfeld1

I put the progressive 2 barrel from Stovebolt on my 170 OHV Studebaker. Hands down the best modification I made. I used the linkage kit and adaptor they also sell. I tryed the stock RBS and stock AS carbs. and had I know how well this setup runs from Stovebolt, I would have smashed them with a hammer years ago. You can't beat the price either, I am a jeep lover and many Jeep vendors sell the same carb. and adaptor for the jeep straight six for 500 bucks vs the 70 bucks from Stovebolt. ( I am in no way linked to Stovebolt, just a happy customer) I can tell you from a seat of the pants perspective, the setup is well worth it.
                      DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                      Ocala, FL.
                      '37 Coupe Express
                      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                      '61 Hawk

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Learn something every day. Back when, a Stromberg WW was too much for the 185" flathead. If rwirtzfeld1 says a Carter/Weber progressive is the hot setup and it works better on his 169" ohv, go with the experience.

Deepnhock knows what he is doing and I can see the Carter/Weber 2-bbl on a V8, but do wonder how much of the second barrel the 169" 6-cyl actually uses. The carb cfm formula says the 6-cyl can't inhale more than 175 cfm @ 4500 rpm.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

I'm not sure where we got off track with the 500 cfm talk with this thread. The original poster was asking about the application of the Studebaker six, then there was some V-8 talk scattered in there.

Anyway my point is, the two barrel progressive Holley/Weber is rated at 270 cfm @ 3.0 hg vac and 200 cfm 1.5" hg vac if rated like a four barrel carburetor. The venturi size is 26mm and 27 mm. That put them right in the range of perfect for a Studebaker six. They were orignial equipment on motors of similiar size, even some smaller. The 70's mustang II, 2.0L Pinto, Mercury Capri 2.6 and 2.8L V-6 engines.

Did want anyone to think the two barrel Weber/Carter flows 500cfm.

Comment

I haven't seen that particular combination done (yet), but it makes perfectly good sense to me. Somebody do it and give us feedback...
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rwirtzfeld1

I'm not sure where we got off track with the 500 cfm talk with this thread. The original poster was asking about the application of the Studebaker six, then there was some V-8 talk scattered in there.

Anyway my point is, the two barrel progressive Holley/Weber is rated at 270 cfm @ 3.0 hg vac and 200 cfm 1.5" hg vac if rated like a four barrel carburetor. The venturi size is 26mm and 27 mm. That put them right in the range of perfect for a Studebaker six. They were orignial equipment on motors of similiar size, even some smaller. The 70's mustang II, 2.0L Pinto, Mercury Capri 2.6 and 2.8L V-6 engines.

Did want anyone to think the two barrel Weber/Carter flows 500cfm.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X