This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger display

First off, my grandad's had an old Golden Hawk type MC. Supercharger around for years. At lunch, me, my grandad, and my 6 year old cousin decided to go play at the shop. I couldn't find much of anything interesting to do, so I got the old blower out and stripped all the old paint remains and polished the thing for 2 or 3 hours straight. Grandad fabbed up a little stand for it, and it now resides in my bedroom being displayed as 'art'. The blower turns by hand, just so you know. It's amazing at what a little water sanding and aluminum polish will do, along with a Drimel with a little buffer on it. Turned out quite nice. These are pics of when I had it on the back deck. Wish we had all the 'goodies' for it, but all we have it the blower, nothing else.
    After that, we took everything loose from the tranny of a 62 Lark four door so we can replace the clutch. I'll be driving it while we paint the Daytona.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter; Newsletter Editor
    63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
    51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
    MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
    Click my name and check out "Links".

Paint it.<g>

Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 Daytona Convert.
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 R1 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Daytona HT
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Maybe later. Where can I get a Jet Stream emblem for it?
      Sure wish we had all the stuff for it. Wow...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter; Newsletter Editor
      52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt

Comment

I had a rebuilt and professionally polished (really shined) supercharger on my '57 Golden Hawk with an NOS emblem on it. The major vendors sell those reproduction emblems. The colors are not correct. When they were made, they were made from a picture of one, rather than an NOS item. When the repros were made, they didn't know that a few NOS pieces still existed.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I had a rebuilt and professionally polished (really shined) supercharger on my '57 Golden Hawk with an NOS emblem on it. The major vendors sell those reproduction emblems. The colors are not correct. When they were made, they were made from a picture of one, rather than an NOS item. When the repros were made, they didn't know that a few NOS pieces still existed.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY
          I have an original blower plate, in halfway decent shape, from my "Packard" engine. What I didn't know is that the Packard plates are REALLY rare, and not being re-popped, (that I know about). Anyway, when I was working on the blower I just popped the plate off and threw it on/inside my tool box somewhere, and it got bounced around in there for months. [8] Well, I saw a nice original go for [u]$300.00</u> on ebay [:0]!!! DAM! Do I need to tell you how FAST that little plate was found and went in my skivvie drawer?

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

First off, my grandad's had an old Golden Hawk type MC. Supercharger around for years............

&lt;Snipped ONLY to save room&gt;

52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude &lt;g&gt
            VERY nice job Matthew! I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my blower. Well, after seeing your work, you've convinced me, I'm gonna "git-'er-done..." Thanks for the pictures Matt! (Oh, and I grabbed them to put them on the Racing Studebakers photo gallery, if it's OK with you?)

Sonny
            Sonny

Comment

It's been a lot of years since I have had an NOS Packard supercharger plate in my hands.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Packard repo plate is in the new SI flyer

Arnold Md.
                Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                64 Daytona Convert.
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 R1 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti R1/AC
                63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                62 Daytona HT
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Hawk
                JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Packard repo plate is in the new SI flyer

Arnold Md.
                  Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                  64 Daytona Convert.
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 R1 GT Hawk
                  63 Avanti R1/AC
                  63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                  62 Daytona HT
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Hawk
                  D'OH! Just when I had my "fortune" made...... How much is Ed getting John? (Mebbe inquiring minds shouldn't ask....)

Sonny
                  Sonny

Comment

$19.95 I think.

Arnold Md.
                    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                    64 Daytona Convert.
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    63 R1 GT Hawk
                    63 Avanti R1/AC
                    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                    62 Daytona HT
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Hawk
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Nice job Matt. I really like shiny things. I would paint it clear coat. High temp clear coat{rattle can} available from Summit Raacing. Good stuff. By the way, I will be traveling to Savannah the last part of this month or first part of August. I am planning on visiting my daughter and family. Perhaps we can get together and chew the fat. Maybe you could show me your restoration facility. Do you or your pappy need any parts from up north here. Will be driving my S 10 pickup. jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Yeah, the blowers do look nice polished. I had one for a while and ended up selling it to Lee, unfortunately one of the castings apparently had a hidden flaw in it, I still haven't found something to make it up to him with...

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys!

Sonny: these pics are here for anyone who wants em. I don't mind it a bit if you put them on your site. I'd be honored actually... lol and I really like to just stare at it. What a beautiful piece of machinery.

Jimmijim: OK, just know that our 'restoration facility' is only a two bay shop with a paint booth out back. It's full of 'valuable stuff' and yuo can barely walk in there. &lt;g&gt; There are several cars to look at though. You even get to take a peek at my almost famous 63 Daytona! Also, were only there on the weekends, and the week of 17th of this month, I'll be in Tallahassee helping out another Stude guy around his 6000 sq. foot shop for a week. You're welcome to stop by though, if you'd like. I live about 2 hours from Savannah.
                          Right now, there's a 62 Lark VI four door with a clutch being put in. WE had a time today, as everything in the bell housing was all rusted together. We got it all loose though. Maybe by the time you come, my Daytona we have perdy red paint! I'm thinking about International Harvester Red... (Oh, I've been thinking about clear coat. Man, it would REALLY shine then!) And no, there's nothing we need from up there. Thanks though!

Comment

BTW, the stamped #'s on the blower are: OVS57C 10498.

And here's a couple more pics of it on display. Award winning art. &lt;g&gt;

Comment

Working...
                            X