PDA

View Full Version : 1928 Engine

Jacks 28
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi,
First of all I know Iím on the wrong club site, but I need to get to some answers.
I was trying turn over the engine on my 28 Studebaker Dictator, to no avail. It could be stuck. I think there is a serious problem. The car has been sitting for 10 years. I took off the started and tested it and it works fine. When I hook up the battery and tried to start it, it just made a slight clunk. I tried to turn the engine manually with the hand crank. There was no resistance, the hand crank turned freely as if nothing was connected to it. My question, one of many, where do I start looking for the problem, should I start tearing off the front of the engine? Should I drop the oil pan to see if there are any visible problems there? Or start at the top of the engine? Anyone knows a good mechanic in the Chicago area.
Thanks
Jack

stude freak
07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Dont know anything about 28 model starter . But when you tested it did the gears kick back to engage the flywheel or just spin freely?If it didnt kick back it wasnt engaging the flywheel therefore not turning the engine.Could be a solenoid problem.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Scott
07-07-2006, 10:02 AM
I wonder if the crankshaft has snapped. That might account for being able to use the starter crank, but still have an engine that's stuck.

Dick Steinkamp
07-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I really don't know these cars either, but you probably have to push the hand crank in towards the engine (overcoming a spring that would hold the hand crank away from the crankshaft pulley) and engage the hand crank with the crankshaft pulley. Then try to turn it. If you know the hand crank is engaged with the crankshft pulley and if you turn the hand crank and can see the crankshaft pulley turn, the engine isn't stuck and the (initial) problem is most likely with the starter or starter bendix (if a '28 has one?). If when you get the hand crank engaged with the crankshaft pulley you aren't able to turn the engine over, the engine is most likely "stuck". I'd guess the latter. If it's stuck, post back here for some input on how to get it unstuck.

Good luck.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Mike Sal
07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Put the car into hi gear & have someone rock it back & forth by hand while you keep an eye on the crank pulley. If the engine will turn in either direction (even a slight amount) then things aren't too bad.

You might have some stuck valves (this is why going back & forth will tell you if the pistons themselves are free). Trying to turn an engine over with stuck valves can be hard on them.
Mike Sal

KGlowacky
07-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Not much on 28 motors. But take out one of the spark plugs and hand crank the engine. see if the pistons moves. (Take out the plug with the piston in the up position). If you are by yourself get a plastic straw or wooden dowl rod and stick it in the spark plug hole. (make sure it is long enough to not fall in) and hand crank the motor back and forth. If the straw moves the crank and engine are ok. My guess is the starter is not engaging. Some old cars have a manual selinoid, I don't know about this one. Good Luck.