PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Probs

acinsac
07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
I have a "just got it running" '59 Lark, v8, auto trans. All works good till it gets fully warmed up, then it starts pumping trans oil out the dipstick tube. The first time, it puked the entire contents out...( very messy cleanup)... then things were OK for very short trips....... then this week, it puked out some again, but not so much.. any fixes ????

ROADRACELARK
07-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Just a question.... When you check the fluid level, is the engine/trans. warmed up, and in Drive? (Make sure the emergency brake is applied and/ or the wheels are chocked, safety 1st, always). There is a vent on the trans. case. When you have the cover removed to check/add fluid, just above the dip stick and toward the front of the trans. is a small round cap (about 1/2" dia.) that should be loose and "float". You can turn it with your fingers but don try to pull it off. If you can get some compressed air to it, you might try blowing around it. Otherwise you may have some internal sealing issues. Hope this helps:)

Mike Sal
07-07-2006, 01:25 PM
This issue has been discussed in the cooperator in Turning Wheels in the past, but I can't remember what the problem / fix was (a valve sticking in the valve body or something like that). Hopefully someone here with a better memory than mine will recall the fix.
Mike Sal

buddymander
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Ya, it sounds like a clogged air vent. The trans warms up and cooks moisture out of the fluid. Water expands to 700 times its liquid volume, and with no place to get out, it has to push out fluid until the level reaches the bottom of the dipstick tube opening.