This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance

Anybody know where to get Studebaker perf. parts, or have any cool tricks for increasing Studebaker performance in any area? I know its a real general question, but I'm in the process of building a 1964 Daytona into a street machine that is as much Studebaker as possible while being a street killer. I'm really interested in engine and suspension improvements. Picking up a full-flow 289 this weekend with a TT Dana 44.

We could write a book, matter of fact, books have been written. Look on ebay for Dick Datson's Studebaker performance books. Read about Ted Harbit here too:

Basically, start with a 4 barrel, maybe a R2+ cam, then R3 valves, maybe a blower or turbo and off you go.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 Daytona Convert.
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 R1 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Daytona HT
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Bottom end needs virtually no "enhancement". It's all in the breathing and feeding. Headers - about THE LAST thing to consider.
      Carbureation, porting, valving and the appropriate cam to orchestrate it all.[]

OH, add a Paxton for max tons of airflow, as well.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Did someone say 'Paxton'???

<drool>

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter; Newsletter Editor
        63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
        51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
        52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
        MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
        Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Jimbo, I find the most knowledgeable and helpful people, performance wise, are at Fairborn Studebaker.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JimBo

Anybody know where to get Studebaker perf. parts, or have any cool tricks for increasing Studebaker performance in any area? I know its a real general question, but I'm in the process of building a 1964 Daytona into a street machine that is as much Studebaker as possible while being a street killer. I'm really interested in engine and suspension improvements. Picking up a full-flow 289 this weekend with a TT Dana 44.
            Hey Jimbo,

Well, there's quite a few of us still writing/improving the high performance Studebaker "book". If you use Datson's book as your one and only guide, you'll be "backin' up. If you have a few bucks to throw away, I'd say that Datson's book can give you a rough idea about what the Studebaker engine's potential can be.

However, (and can't figure why this was neglected to be mentioned... [B)]), you can save a LOT of money and get an education fast Jimbo, just join us at the fastest Studebaker website on the 'net, http://RacingStudebakers.com. Check out the photo gallery. Check out the racing articles. Check out the forums, http://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web...n/bb/index.php where you'll find almost 5000 articles covering every single high performance Studebaker subject, (Ted Harbit is there regularly and you can talk with him directly). Oh, you can also talk with high performance Studebaker experts every Thursday nite [u]live</u>! Did I mention that you can find your high performance Studebaker parts there too?

Lookin' forward to seeing you there Jimbo, it's just a click away, you'll be a welcome member!

On another note..... Still can't believe somebody would say [}]DD's name "out loud" and recommend his book! (Whew, that's REAL bad ju-ju![xx(]) Hell, that PLUS how could someone "forget" about [u]THE</u> place on the 'net dedicated to, where every day people live and breathe, high performance Studebakering?!...

Sonny
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

OK, Whats the deal with the DD remark? I have some of his books and being new to the Studebaker world don't know any better. Is there anything in these books that is just wrong? I'm not refering to any of the belt drive turbo stuff. Also regarding the Datson's books, I'm begining a rebuild on a 232 [adding 256 heads] and have been reading in Datson's books about oiling modification in the lifter bores and to the valve train, is this alright to do? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.
              Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Dick is a very knowledgable fellow. I suspect the remark was directed at his people skills, not at his books.i.e. he is the source of the "evil vendor" quote. He contends that the vendors keep his money saving tips secret to increase sales. BTW, I just forgot about Sonny's forum, and did not intentionally slight him. There are at least a dozen other Studebaker forums other then the ones I try to keep up with.

Arnold Md.
                Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                64 Daytona Convert.
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 R1 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti R1/AC
                63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                62 Daytona HT
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Hawk
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I have to say that whatever you may think of DD's performance tips, some of his bodywork ideas make me cringe. I'm not a big fan of the idea of 'glassing right over rust, at least not without using something to permanently encapsulate it like POR-15.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Three facts and an opinion:

1. Many of the real, knowlegeable, hard core Studebaker performance guys are on RacingStudebakers! We/they all want fast Studes out there. You'll get all the help you need - just know not everyone will agree what that help should be!

2. Read all the FAQs and back posts before asking the same basic questions over again.

3. You will most likely be told heads, heads, its in the heads. The small ports and intake valves are the choke point on Stude performance. Most say plan on spending your first $1,000 on pro-ported heads with R3 valves and springs. Until you have done that, you will not be getting maximum benefit from any other performance modifications, including a supercharger.

Finally, over the years, lots of opinions about Dick. I keep his books as a historical reference. He should always be given credit, he was a Stude performance pioneer. Some still feel he is a guru. Others think he has gone about a half-bubble off plumb. Reserve your judgement until you have read through all the performance posts on this site, RacingStudebaker, and read all DDs stuff and then decide for yourself.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X