This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V to 12 V conversion

I've got a 53 Commander HT coupe and it was converted. Attempting to fix some minor stuff. Gas gauge. the gauge is does go to empty or full so wonder if the sending unit is still 6v. Which 12v sending units will work in a 53. Converting to stock toggle swithces. Does original light switch have relay integral to swich or do I need a relay. cant tell yet if there is one existing.
    Answers to these will keep me busy for a while as I try to reorganize the dashbord. Oh yeah, I have a Prestolite wiper motor. Runs fast and only one speed. Is this a two speed motor and will new switch make both speeds function?
    Thanks a million
    Mike DeLapp

Mike DeLapp

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I've got a 53 Commander HT coupe and it was converted. Attempting to fix some minor stuff. Gas gauge. the gauge is does go to empty or full so wonder if the sending unit is still 6v. Which 12v sending units will work in a 53. Converting to stock toggle swithces. Does original light switch have relay integral to swich or do I need a relay. cant tell yet if there is one existing.
    Answers to these will keep me busy for a while as I try to reorganize the dashbord. Oh yeah, I have a Prestolite wiper motor. Runs fast and only one speed. Is this a two speed motor and will new switch make both speeds function?
    I used a voltage reducer from Ron Francis to work the original fuel gauge/sending unit and the original temp gauge/sending unit on my '54...

Work's great.

I don't know if Prestolite made both a 6 and 12 V motor. If it is a 6V, a '56 and up C/K 12 V wiper motor drops right in to replace it. I believe all '53 and up Stude electric wiper motors were capable of 2 speeds.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I had the same situation with my '55 coupe; had been converted to 12V but not all the way. A "runtz" voltage reducer for each of the electrical gauges (temp. and fuel) made them work fine; just reverse the polarity on your ammeter and it will be fine too. You don't need to replace any of the switches, but you should replace the heater blower, defrost blower, and wiper motor with their 12V equivalents (1956-? Hawk) and then everything will be fine. If your wipers only work on one speed there is a problem there but I don't have enough info here to tell you what it is. You need a 3-wire wiper motor, not the late model 4-wire. I believe any Stude wiper motor 56-up with three wires will work, although you may have to switch the bracket. An Avanti motor is completely different and will not work, but IIRC they are 4-wire motors. On my web site is a little reference to the various options for various bulbs throughout your car. You will have a problem with the front turn signals, they take an odd bulb, but the number is in my list somewhere.

Now the one thing I have had a problem with, believe it or not, is the cigarette lighter. I would like it to work, as I would like to have a power outlet available, but I have been unable to find an aftermarket 12V cig. lighter that will work with the stock knob - the base of the knob is just ever so slightly larger than the lighter socket. Likewise, I doubt a standard accessory plug would fit tightly in the original socket, even ASSuming I could find one in good shape.

good luck,

nate

(likes everything electrical to work.)

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

mdelapp asked, "Attempting to fix some minor stuff. Gas gauge. the gauge is does go to empty or full so wonder if the sending unit is still 6v. Which 12v sending units will work in a 53"?

This topic has answers for your question on 12v sending unit conversion:

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
        X