PDA

View Full Version : Progress report

Mr Mike
03-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Got my '60 Hawk back from the front end shop yesterday. What a difference! Mechanic was of the opinion that nothing had ever been replaced so after 47 years and 130K miles it was time. They replaced the bellcrank, bushings and outer pins. Everything else was nice and tight so I didn't bother. The bellcrank is the new type with bearings replacing the bushing which is far superior and should last far longer.

My history search has seemingly come to an end. I was able to trace ownership back to 1988 but many states have deleted their old records so I'm at a loss as to how to dig any deeper. Perhaps one of you has an idea?

According to the info I got from Idaho, the odometer read 17K in '88, obviously 117K. When I purchased it in January it read 29K so it only accumulated 12K between '88 and '07. Amazingly, the original selling dealer and all the owners since '88 are still alive and I was able to contact them by phone. Neat people ALL!

Question?? I discovered a 3/4" diameter hole in the front passenger floor while the car was on the lift. When I stuck my finger in it, I hit something solid. Is there a sub-floor in there?

Mr Mike

64V-K7
03-24-2007, 08:11 AM
1) Center pins with needle bearings are far superior to the bushing type and, in some cases, will make you think, you have power steering.

2) The floor is double plated where the front seats mount

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

Mr Mike
03-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks Bob

Mike