PDA

View Full Version : your favorite Stude

mbstude
07-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I know this may cause a bit of controversy, (lol) but here goes! Many people out there have their a favorite Studebaker. So, what's yours? I, for one, like Studebaker as a make, and don't have a single favorite. But, a 58 Golden Hawk is high on the list. This very car in particular, which is owned by a couple in Atlanta, GA. And I can say from experience, it drives just as good as it looks. And the owners couldn't be nicer people.
(Here's a bigger pic: http://www.studebakerclubs.com/NorthGeorgia/Members/Sikes/sikes.html )

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/SikesHawk24.jpg

So, what's your favorite Stude? (Studebaker designs are included!)

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

rockne10
07-03-2006, 06:52 PM
My favorite will be the next one I put on the road.

mbstude
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I feel that way sometimes too. If I could ever finish this Daytona... [8D]

63 Daytona HT (project)

N8N
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I have to say that mine is pretty close to my ideal Stude. It's a '55 coupe that's in the process of receiving an R1/T-10 combo. About the only thing that could make it better would be someone to finish putting it together for me, and if we're going to get real out there, a '53 front clip, lights, and bumpers.

Dick Steinkamp's car is pretty close to what I'm envisioning, just with Stude power (although a 327 isn't a shabby engine, by any means...)

But then again, a Golden Hawk would be nice, or maybe a Super Lark...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

2R5
07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Mine is the one I can't afford :(

mbstude
07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I can't afford that Golden Hawk either, but I can drive it from time to time.

63 Daytona HT (project)

glen
07-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Course mine is my 1953 Champion tudoor Deluxe.
While she is not as quick or flashy as the coupes
and hrdtops, but she still catches the eyes of many,
who can remember their own Studebakers, just as
if it was yesterday...

Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

tbredehoft
07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I've admired the '53 Commander coupe since sometime in 54, I guess. I bought one in '59 and drove it 'till it wouldn't go any more, then parked it in the barn. By 2000 it was restored and has been on the road off and on since. http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/A coupe.jpg

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

showbizkid
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
There's so many pretty Studes, it's hard to pick... but I've always had a jones for the GT Hawks. When I was in high school, one of the teachers drove a black one. I just lusted after that car...

But I'm glad to have the Lark :) There's been a lot of Studebaker close calls in my life, but this is the first one I've owned (if you don't count the clapped out '55 President that I bought for $40 after I totalled my Camaro in '83 and the rental car ran out... no seats; I drove it for a month sitting on a milk crate).

I think it was Hawks that got me turned on to Studes in the first place. When I was a kid, a guy down the street was the treasurer of the local SDC chapter; he had a '58 Golden Hawk and a '58 Power Hawk. Man, those cars did it for me at 16 years old [:p]

---------------------------
Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

07-03-2006, 11:21 PM
My favorite is a 58 Commander or President 2 door hardtop.

studecoop
07-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Got to be the 53 and 54 sedans... that is what gets me excited :):):)

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
Vancouver, WA.

Transtar56
07-03-2006, 11:40 PM
My favorites are the finned Hawks,thats why I own one.
Next on my list are the 53-55 C/K's.
Next on my dream list would be a Coupe Express,any year,but 37-38 would be ideal.
I love the early 30's classics,the big President roadsters.
Next would be the early Larks,esp the ragtops,and then the super Larks.
Next would be the GT's,esp the awesome package cars.
Then would be the 2R and Transtar trucks.
Then I guess would be the 56-58 Presidends and Commanders,the BIG Studebakers.
I guess when it gets right down to it,there arn't to many this great old company built that I couldn't love,I had probaly more fun with my 47 Champion business coupe than any other,as I owned it the longest(20) years.
The only thing Studebaker I don't really think Ill ever lust after are the Zip vans,but you never know.

Roscomacaw
07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Gee I'd look great - in a Stude, '58! :D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

62beater
07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Any stude in the '35-'37 vintage, followed by what I want to build once i get out of school '64 sliding roof wagonaire with a r3 and a 5 or 6 speeed.:D

Studedude1961
07-04-2006, 12:42 PM
The car of "Quiet Substance," and "America's First Limousette," the 1963 Studebaker Cruiser.

Another favorite and one of Studebaker's most successful cars: 1959/1960 Larks - all body styles. The right car at the right time and place!

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

N8N
07-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Almost forgot, any prewar business coupe. Preferably Commander/Dictator or President. Remember that black Prez business coupe that was on eBay a while back? Good thing I didn't have the $$ to buy it, or I would be living in it :) (and while they look good, they are not exactly spacious inside...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Bill Pressler
07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Although I own a '63 Daytona Hardtop with Skytop, my all-time favorite Stude would be a Jet Green with Black Sports Roof '64 Gran Turismo Hawk, equipped with the optional wire wheel covers...just the car pictured in the '64 Stude magazine ad on my office wall ("...and don't miss three other Different-by-Design cars").

Frankly, I could really love any '64 Hawk color with a vinyl top, but there's something about that Jet Green...probably because I've never seen a real '64 Hawk that color.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

CHAMP
07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I like mostly all Studebakers and I guess my favorite is the one I am currently driving. A 1948 Studebaker Champion 2DR> Sedan with minor modifications. 91 G.M. blue/green metalic paint, fender skirts, full moon hubcaps, narrow white/wall radial tires, Pertronix electronic ignition, electric fuel pump and not a bad driver Champ:)

studegary
07-04-2006, 02:49 PM
For me, it is the '53-'54 Starliners. There are many others that I have owned that would be close seconds, like; '63 Daytona Skytop hardtop, '63 Daytona Wagonaire, '57 Golden Hawk. The Avantis that I have owned would be down near the bottom of the list, along with the Zip Van that I owned. Falling in between are other cars that I have owned, like; '55 President Speedster, '60 Lark convertible, several '61s, '63 Cruiser, several '64s, '40 President sedan, etc., etc.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

PackardV8
07-04-2006, 02:59 PM
There are cars to look at and cars to drive. Just like people, Studes come in all sizes. I had long wanted a Coupe Express and some years back a nice one came up for sale locally. When I got under the wheel, the dream woke up. People have gotten a bunch larger over the past 60-70 years. There ws not enough room for me inside. The windshield header was so low I couldn't see far enough ahead to drive safely. There wasn't enough leg room to comfortably work the clutch and brakes. It would have to be a trailer queen show car, because it wouldn't have been driveable for me.

The C-cab pickups are a bit better, but another couple of inches of leg room and head room would be nice. I've managed to drive one for 25 years, but never really comfortably.

The driving position is the first thing I modify in any of the C/K coupes/hardtops. If keeping the OEM seat, I at least raise the front by putting spacers under the front seat mounts. This also tilts the back a bit. My current custom project uses '04 Pontiac Grand Prix bucket seats much farther to the rear than the OEM seat will go. Changing the driving position totally changes the feel of the car. Recently, one of the good '56J guys gave me a ride in his completely stock car. It didn't feel like the same car compared to mine. I noticed the same thing in my Avanti. Moving the seats back and down changed the way it felt in the corners.

PackardV8

stude freak
07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
My favorite Stude is one that is any stude all pretty and shiny going down the road. Just sitting in a barn,field or junk yard rustin away just makes me sad. Like they say on tv "dont crushem .... restorem. ;)For give me "Shela"'[B)]:D

Studedude
07-04-2006, 05:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by stude freak

My favorite Stude is one that is any stude all pretty and shiny going down the road. Just sitting in a barn,field or junk yard rustin away just makes me sad. Like they say on tv "dont crushem .... restorem. ;)For give me "Shela"'[B)]:D
'Sheba read your post, and she is hurt. :( First you said that any pretty and shiny Stude would do, then you fergot her name. Be very, very careful if you show up in Omaha... she will attack you with her hood hook! [xx(]

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

stude53
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm sure you all know this, but for me, it is the '53-'54 Starliners.:D

Close seconds, would be like; 54/55 Conestogas, 63/64 GT Hawks.

Of course, the original Avantis are a class by themselves.

In the truck lines, 37 Coupe Express, 2R and Transtar trucks, the Zip Van.

Of course, any Studebaker would be ahead of any other make or breed.;)

I'll close now and go back to drooling over my Turning Wheels cover shots.

Bob (stude53)[8D]

stude freak
07-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Oppps sorry for typo "Sheba".Just like a woman though cant compliment anything pretty without gettin in trouble.Lmao happy 4th ev1.[B)][8]

Eman
07-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I REALLY DO like most any Stude, but the bulletnoses are my faves. Obviously I'm a little partial to the Starlight Coupes, but there's still something cool about suicide doors or biz coupes as well.

http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella2.jpg

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog
www.alabamastudes.com

60Lark
07-04-2006, 08:36 PM
My choice of Studes are the 53 - 54 & 55 2-door hard-tops, but if money was no object, I would want a 55 Speedster [:p]

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I know this may cause a bit of controversy, (lol) but here goes! Many people out there have their a favorite Studebaker. So, what's yours? I, for one, like Studebaker as a make, and don't have a single favorite. But, a 58 Golden Hawk is high on the list. This very car in particular, which is owned by a couple in Atlanta, GA. And I can say from experience, it drives just as good as it looks. And the owners couldn't be nicer people.
So, what's your favorite Stude? Studebaker designs are included!)

It's hard to say what my favorite is, but I always seem to come back to the '53 Starliners (sorry, I like them better than coupes, rattles and all). Here's mine- owned since 1966. http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/53%20right%20side%20windows%20down.jpg

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Commander51
07-04-2006, 08:47 PM
I own a 51 Commander Sedan; that's my second-favorite model. What turned my head toward Studebaker initially is the '62 Hawk GT. Someday I hope to have one of each!!

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

Michidan
07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
How many times have we all thought - gee, if I had a ton of money, I would get one of these, one of these, one of these....
Fun to think about.
Most any Studebaker is far above the rest on the wish list. "Different by Design". However...

1934 Land Cruiser
1952 Starliner
1954 Conestoga
Any St. Regis

Dan
52 hardtop

Green53
07-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm happy with cars that are presently in my stable. 64 Avanti R1, 64 Daytona convertible R1, 53 Champion starliner hot rod. I guess thats why I keep them so long. Avanti 32 years, Daytona 27 years, 53 Starliner 10 years. A bunch have come and gone. I do yearn for another 61 Hawk 4spd like I had 35 years ago.
Denny L

ddub
07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Kind of like asking a parent about their favorite child, they all have endearing qualities. I love my 53K and my Champ but a car I have lusted after and never seen in person is a yellow mid-thirties roadster. I think it is a '35 or thereabouts, tall narrow grill. I have seen pictures but never met one.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

mbstude
07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
quote:but a car I have lusted after and never seen in person is a yellow mid-thirties roadster. I think it is a '35 or thereabouts, tall narrow grill. I have seen pictures but never met one.

Who doesn't want one of those? [8D] The Studebaker National Museum has a car exactly like that; perhaps the one you're referring to. It's a Commander model.

http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/mus35com.jpg

63 Daytona HT (project)

DilloCrafter
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Any Studebaker that shows up in my driveway for free is welcome to stay! (except Avantis, both new and old, which look like they were designed by a whole different group of people, and belong on their own somewhere, apart from the rest of Studedom).

As far as I know, my grandfather's dealership in Cleveland, Mississippi never sold an Avanti. I'm probably wrong about that, but then again, who in that little cotton-pickin' town could afford one?

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

Dick Steinkamp
07-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't be in to Studes if it wasn't for the 53-54 C/K's. I've always lusted after them. Bought my black car as a rolling hulk (in its original dark blue over light yellow) in 1994. As I brought that car to its present state I got to meet a great bunch of Studebaker nuts and came to appreciate Studebakers in general. I'm now fully hooked. I've owned many Studes since 1994 and currently own 4. My SECOND favorite Studes are the M series trucks. Just about as "cute" as a truck can be. I have a 1946 M15A-28 short wheel base flat deck (stock except for the 305 Chevy engine and Chevy truck 4 speed).

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Scott
07-05-2006, 05:12 PM
It's hard to answer the question since I never experienced any of them new. The most comfortable drivers (as in driving position) I find to be the hawks. The larks don't let the seat go far enough back from the steering wheel for me to be completely at ease.

On the other hand I feel the 1964-1966 lark types to be the most dependable.

For looks, I vote for almost any C-K, but for pre-war I absolutely drool over the 1935 roadsters and the 1924 Special Six roadsters (Dave Thibeault has one of the few left). I want it, Dave!

mbstude
07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I agree. Those Special Six roadsters are among one of my favorites too. :D

63 Daytona HT (project)

ddub
07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Matt,

Yep that's the car. Certainly one of Studebakers finest.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

07-06-2006, 07:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

It's hard to answer the question since I never experienced any of them new. The most comfortable drivers (as in driving position) I find to be the hawks. The larks don't let the seat go far enough back from the steering wheel for me to be completely at ease.

For looks, I vote for almost any C-K, but for pre-war I absolutely drool over the 1935 roadsters and the 1924 Special Six roadsters (Dave Thibeault has one of the few left). I want it, Dave!

Maybe the seat position is a matter of size. Being 5' 10" I have always considered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire to very comfortable and I have owned it since new. Perhaps the split recliners help. Both my wife and I were very surprised how comfortable the bucket seats are in the '64 Daytona convertible I just bought.http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64Wagonaire2.jpg

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

07-06-2006, 07:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Maybe the seat position is a matter of size. Being 5' 10" I have always considered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire to very comfortable and I have owned it since new. Perhaps the split recliners help.
Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Pix of the Wagonaire interior.http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/IM003355.JPG

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Bill Pressler
07-06-2006, 07:55 AM
for Paul Johnson,

Your Wagonaire looks great, and one-owner too, wow!

I notice it has the two-tone steering wheel...didn't I read once that your car was Hamilton-built? Kind of defeats the old thought that all Canadian '64's and '65's had the all-white wheels.

Great-looking car!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (Ermine White, white skytop, red vinyl interior)

Daan
07-06-2006, 08:01 AM
I guess my favorite is this one:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/DansStudes/f1d44a6b.jpgA neighbor of mine had it in his garage while I was growing up. When he went to sell it I couldn't afford it, so it "got away". I'd love to have any Stude, but one of these would be ideal.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/DansStudes/

len
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
In 1955 I saw and drove a Speedster at the local Stude dealer. I couldn't afford it. About three years ago I finally acquired one I waited a long time but I am enjoying it now.

DEEPNHOCK
07-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I like the b&w touch Daan. Gives it a 'period' feeling.
And it is good to see you keep some bags of oil dry in the garage to soak up the Studebaker oil leaks;)
Jeff[8D]

\
quote:Originally posted by Daan

I guess my favorite is this one:
A neighbor of mine had it in his garage while I was growing up. When he went to sell it I couldn't afford it, so it "got away". I'd love to have any Stude, but one of these would be ideal.

Mike Van Veghten
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
My 54 Conestoga.
Can be seen at site below. Click on 54 Conestoga for that one or my other project that runs a VERY close second, the Lark wagon.

http://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/

Mike

Transtar56
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Heres the 57 Golden Hawk I bought from JP and restored,definitly one of my favorites
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/60Hawk/GoldenHawk.jpg

showbizkid
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

My 54 Conestoga.
Can be seen at site below. Click on 54 Conestoga for that one or my other project that runs a VERY close second, the Lark wagon.

http://public.fotki.com/-Mike-/

That's a heck of a firewall mod on the Lark, Mike! What are you stuffing in there? [:p]

---------------------------
Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Scott
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Actually my favorite Studebaker is always the one somebody else owns.:( Take, for instance, Matt's grandpa's black hawk...

Dick Steinkamp
07-06-2006, 01:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

That's a heck of a firewall mod on the Lark, Mike! What are you stuffing in there? [:p]

The cage looks fairly serious too [:p][:0]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

mbstude
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the comments Scott. Grandad's Hawk (289, OD, TT rear) is a beauty. Here's some more art pics I took at various shows, as well as a few of the Hawk to keep you droolin'. ;) The 47 M-5 resides behind our shop.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/bw-musics.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/atrally.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/spinninwheels.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/hawkinmotion.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/gasstop.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/mseries.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/bulletart.jpg

63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/rainyday.jpg

Mike Van Veghten
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Clark, Dick,

That project has been one of those - "****...now what do I do" projects. The proverbial, one thing lead to another.

The Lark started out as an engine, trans. and rear end swap ONLY...
Well...the pan I put on the engine hit the steering...hard. I didn't want to change the pan...!

Sooo, it sat for a short time while I pondered my options.

Next came the Vette front suspension, then the rear, a good friend kept harping on the firewall....I figured that if it wasn't fast enough with the engine I built (about 500hp Chev!) I needed room for a blower belt! So the fire wall stepped back 3.25". Then I went from a 500hp street engine to...I've started "hopefully" about a 750hp drag race only engine....and with that...the roll cage. The only "kit" parts are the rear clip/rear axle from Morrison. The rest was done in either my garage (front and rear suspension) or a friends shop (roll cage). He got tired of my pickieness on tube placement and fitup...but we got it done with no fists flying!

Mike

JimBo
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm diggin' the 64 Lark body-styles.

studegary
07-06-2006, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Any Studebaker that shows up in my driveway for free is welcome to stay! (except Avantis, both new and old, which look like they were designed by a whole different group of people, and belong on their own somewhere, apart from the rest of Studedom).

The Avanti was "designed by a whole different group of people," (not counting Loewy, who I have it on good authority was a good judge of talent to hire and a good salesman, but not that much of a designer).

Gary L.

steve_smith54
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
That is a tough decision because I appreciate all Studebakers as well as other antique, classic, and special interest cars. My dream Studebaker would be a 1951 Commander. I was always into uniquely styled cars. I love most of the ones you either love or hate, and the bulletnose style definitely fits that category.

rockne10
07-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I've had some dandies but never an Avanti, a truck or a wagon.

Brad
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Guido
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
[quote]Originally posted by rockne10

I've had some dandies but never an Avanti, a truck or a wagon.

Brad,

I can set you up with an Avanti, numerous trucks, no wagons, but if you are looking for a horsedrawn vehicle, I do have a Studebaker doctor's buggy :D

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 7E-7 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"
Hiding Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

pete
07-07-2006, 03:54 AM
me well the 55 speedy / 57 hawk/ 61 hawk / all gt s / avanti / 64 convertable and my 65 cruiser but my best well i like em all oops i forgot the 53 and 54 s

rdmaxon
07-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Avanti.I like ,admire and appreciate the Studebaker line but ask me my favorite and it's got to be the Avanti. And I've just got one you see and I'm still smilin'. RD

Studedude1961
07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
The Studebaker cars the laymen (those not really interested in old cars) seem to remember most are the 1950-1951 Bullet-nose Studes and the Starlight ("which way is it going?") coupes 1947-1952. Second are the lovely Loewy coupes, then perhaps the early Larks. Alot of people who have seen some of my later cars, the 1963-1965 Lark types, thought they were Ramblers at first glance and was surprised "Studebaker was still building cars then."

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

sbca96
07-07-2006, 10:01 PM
From age 4 to 9 it was my dad's 64 GT Hawk, then bought at age 15, it
was my 60 Hawk pictured here in my early 20's :

http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/60Hawk/60Hawkbefore.jpg

Then I totalled it, and bought my current favorite, my 63 Avanti :

http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/Gtechtest/Gtech_Testing_day2_005a.jpg

I know that growing up my interest swayed between the Hawk and the
Avanti, I liked the earlier Hawks with the laid back grille & sporty
roof. I also liked the set back engine, but I always wanted an Avanti.

Tom

DilloCrafter
07-08-2006, 03:29 AM
I have to admit, Tom, that I would prefer having an Avanti over many, many other cars. It is a uniquely styled car. But I would actually put a 4-door '63 Lark higher on the list, since that's what we rode around in the whole time I was a kid growing up. There's just no accounting for my taste :)

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

jcarmichael
07-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I would have to agree that Dick's car really fits the image I have of Studebaker. With the picture of the salt flats it rings old bells in my head. I have also come to like the shape and driving qualities of my 1961 Lark and even with 4 doors it gives me a lot of pleasure driving it.

1961 Lark

sbca96
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Growing up we had a '39 Custom Coupe, '40 Hearse, '63 Lark Wagonaire,
64 Commander 4 dr, 64 GT Hawk. I bought the '60 Hawk when I was 15,
and then used the engine from the 64 Commander to motivate it through
H.S. in the 80's. My brother drove the 63 Wagonaire through H.S. and
then bought a 64 Daytona hardtop (which he still has). I went to more
local Studebaker club meets then I can count growing up, since my dad
was one of the founders of the Santa Barbara Chapter in the 70's. I
always loved the Avantis, so stylish and unique. Quite a few "firsts"
in the automotive world, and records under its belt. Its the underdog
from a dead company that refused to die, & even with all its bonuses,
and superiority, still shunned by the establishment. My dad had a
friend for years that had a white one, so I would see it at every club
meet, and dream about owning it. I remember sitting in it as a kid
and pretending to drive it.

My dad had always wanted one too, & when he and my mom went to the
Studebaker Dealer to buy a "honeymoon car", she was walking behind my
dad as he was strolling over to the Avanti on the far end of the show
room. He started to go into the hard sell sales pitch to my mom, and
told of ALL the great features that the Avanti had. When he turned
around to see if she bought the pitch, she wasnt there, only a young
couple who thought he was a salesmen! He spotted her over at the '64
GT Hawk, which if you notice above, is one of the cars I grew up with.

In the early 90's I rebuilt the 289 '60 Hawk engine in my dads garage
and did the large valve upgrades and R3 cam. Shortly after I toasted
the stock Commander flightomatic, and installed a Levesque GM adapter
with a 700 R4 behind it. By this time the rust and age had hurt the
63 Wagonaire beyond repair, and I swapped the 3:31 TT axle into the
Hawk. Then I adapted '63 GT Hawk brakes to the '60 Hawk, and modified
the mounts to allow the calipers to clear the 14 inch rims. Created
a reverse open hood, and drove the car for a few years. My dad lost
the house in California during the Clinton years, and sold off all the
cars accept the two Avanti IIs he bought a couple years before. My
brother and my dad moved to Michigan, and I started renting in S.B. A
friend wanted to buy an Avanti and I remembered one in downtown S.B.
that my brother had spotted years before. A phone call found he still
had it, and wanted it gone. For $3000 it was my friends. He decided
it was too much work for him, and I bought it - thats the black one.
A few months after I bought the Avanti, I totalled the Hawk pulling
out of a driveway. Then the Avanti started to sit, that was about 10
years ago, until now that I started working on it again.

I have to agree though, that I always liked our 64 Commander 4 dr, it
was "old reliable", white, boring, but always ready to go anywhere. I
had plans to make a 64 Challenger convertible out of a 63 (if I found
one that needed enough work) Lark, but all the parts I collected for
the year swap got thrown out when my dad lost the house. Oh well.

Do Excalibers count? I always like those too!:D

http://www.javelinamx.com/batmobile/batwhl09.jpg

http://www.javelinamx.com/batmobile/batwheel.htm

"My personal car off the set was an Excaliber, which is a replica of a '23 Mercedes, redesigned a bit. I'd always wanted one, and one day before lunch l picked up a copy of The Reporter and there was an ad for an Excaliber, so I had my assistant, Bill Dyer, call and a lady answered. It seems she'd won this car in a Dr. Pepper jingle contest. Well she was about 75 years old and didn't know how to drive it. So I put a terry cloth robe on over my tights, threw on some dark glasses, jumped in the car with Dyer and we drove out there. As I recall she had never seen our show, and when I appeared on her doorstep, dressed as I was, she was all too happy to take my check, give me the keys and promptly duck back into her house and lock the door!" - Adam West

Tom

ma1951
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I like the 47-52 models the best. The 50 - 51 are the most remembered models by people that were not Studebaker people. I always wanted a bullet nose Studebaker and now have a 51 sedan. But I seem now to lean towards the 47 to 49 models. I have a 49 Champion sedan that I have owned since 1983 and a 47 Champion several years, and I believe the quality in these cars seems to be better. The Champions with the 6 cylinder seems to be a better proportioned car and handle real well. So for showiness the 50 - 51 's, but for driving, I like the 47 - 49 models both Champion and Commanders the best. I guess this is all about opinions because my wife likes the bulletnose the best out of my collection. She likes the 56 - 61 Hawks or the 53 - 55 coupes the best. She has made the comment through the years why I did not want to own one of these models. There again as a child, the 50 - 51 models caught my attention so much that one day I knew I had to have one. So put me down for the 47 - 49 Champions.

sbca96
07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
True, many people I have come across think that the bullet nose is the
ONLY model that Studebaker ever made. Many also remember the "Muppet
Movie" & Fozzies famous line: "Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat - a
Studebaker."

Tom

oldcars
07-09-2006, 05:30 PM
My favorite is the 1951 Studebaker Starlight Coupe. I found one about 7 months ago with 27,000 actual miles with the original paint, interior and tires. I have been working hard to get the fellow to part with it, but nothing has worked yet. But I am definately not going to give up on this jewel.

Oldcars

studegary
07-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Tom - IMHO (and what I wrote in the SDC Judging Rules and Regulations), 1960s Excalibers count as Studebaker related. 1969 was the last Excaliber built on a Studebaker chassis.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

fozziebear
08-10-2006, 12:48 AM
This is a very difficult one to answer. My favourite Stude though is the car from the 'Muppet Movie' after all it is how I came to fall in love with the marque (at the age of 5). I have a 1951 Champion Sedan here in Australia which is now fully restored. I also love the veteran Stude's (like the electrics and the 1904 in the museum) as well as 53 and 54 coupes. I would love to get hold of a 1951 2 door sedan. I cannot say that I don't like any Stude built.

A Bear in his natural habitat....A Studebaker!