This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Indicator

Last night I took my Hawk out for the first time after dark. All the lights worked fine,outside and in, except the light for the shift indicator. I checked the wire diagram in the '56 shop manual but could not find this light mentioned. The steering has all been redone befor I got the car. The light lead was not hooked back up. Can someone tell me where it goes? '56 Power Hawk Auto. Thanks[V]

I never knew they even had a shifter indicator light! lol...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
    63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
    MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
    Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Ratliff

... but could not find this light mentioned. ... The light lead was not hooked back up.
      John,
      I don't quite understand your question. Could you not find the light bulb? Or have you found the lead from the bulb but it is not hooked up to anything?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

... but could not find this light mentioned. ... The light lead was not hooked back up.
        John,
        I don't quite understand your question. Could you not find the light bulb? Or have you found the lead from the bulb but it is not hooked up to anything?
        Dick, does the indicator wire hook up to the instrament light switch or the head light switch?

Comment

Dick, does the indicator wire hook up to the instrament light switch or the head light switch?
          Either would actually work, but if you hook it up to the instrument light switch, it will dim with the instrument lights (probably a good thing).

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Last night I took my Hawk out for the first time after dark. All the lights worked fine,outside and in, except the light for the shift indicator. I checked the wire diagram in the '56 shop manual but could not find this light mentioned. The steering has all been redone befor I got the car. The light lead was not hooked back up. Can someone tell me where it goes? '56 Power Hawk Auto. Thanks[V]
            It goes to any wire that is attached to a bulb on your instrument panel. Make sure that the wire is not shorthed the steering colum sleeve. Your ground is the sleeve and little housing.

Bill

Comment

I think it is supposed to hook up to the dash light switch BUT not on the dimmed side. Don't know why that is, but that's the way it is.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks all. I found the wire for the light was off the dash light switch. Got it hooked up and works just fine. While I was under the dash, I noticed there were no wires to the clock. I just assumed it didn't work. I got a fused lead and ran it to power and ran to the clock. Kerchunk! It started running.Took off for the parts store for a light socket w/bulb. Now all lights up and works. When it gets dark I'll see how it looks.

Comment

Good news, bad news. The lights work fine and look good.[8D]
                  This morning the clock was not working. Power and ground were okay, disconnected power and reconnected started working again for a few minutes. I remembered seeing a note about Hawk clock repair by the No. Carolina SDC. So I copied it and took the clock apart as it said. They warrned about the tabs that hold the face glass and frame to the clock body. They may break when they are bent. They did! I was left with only two good tabs left. Both on the same side. I went ahead and cleaned the inside with contact cleaner. Then oiled the gears also cleaned the points with a file. Now clock has been running all day. Now I need to find a way to keep the glass and frame on the body. An other clock frame would be nice.[xx(]

Comment

Yeah, and IIRC, only a clock bezel will work-- other instrument bezels or even a clock delete bezel are shaped differently....[V]

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                    Butler PA

Comment

Working...
                    X